User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: Forum Etiquette

But really, it comes down to topic.

Learn to distinguish threads that are meant for flirting/joking/mocking and the ones that aren't. This whole mess could of been avoided with a simple, "is it really appropriate to mock this person on this thread." There really should of been none of that when the thread wasn't intended for it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

Smile Creative Tension

Free speech means nothing unless we are free to offend.

However our rule here, as I understand it, is that direct, personal insults are against the rules and may lead to banning.

And we live in a time when a violent, totalitarian politial group is seeking to ban free speech using the power of the United Nations.

However, in my opinion, our problem is that most come here to measure how well they conform, and naturally they feel offended when they meet those who hold conformists in disdain.

So the creative tension on Central is held between those who are worried whether they conform and those who love freedom.

And for the creative tension to continue, both need to express themselves freely without resorting to personal insults.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    But really, it comes down to topic. Learn to distinguish threads that are meant for flirting/joking/mocking and the ones that aren't. This whole mess could of been avoided with a simple, "is it really appropriate to mock this person on this thread." There really should of been none of that when the thread wasn't intended for it.
    Good discussion in this thread among various perspectives... and now maybe you're all starting to see how difficult it is to manage a site that is open to all types vs. focused on one particular way of looking at things (e.g., INTJf or ENFPf, etc.) Natural behaviors for one type that might not be meant to be insensitive end up hitting someone hard; and sometimes one type of person has a blindness to even realizing the impact of their comments on another type until after a conflict occurs.

I don't think conflict is always avoidable, we're going to trod on each other's toes; it becomes indispensible for each member to have an exit/wind-down strategy in place if the feathers inevitably start to fly. And, like Victor says, avoiding the "personal attack" brand of conflict.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ what's fascinating to me here is that i've witnessed Te types offend Ti types and call them over-sensitive in the same way that the Ti doms in my family offend me and then call me oversensitive.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Good discussion in this thread among various perspectives...
    We can haz cookie naow, plz.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ^ what's fascinating to me here is that i've witnessed Te types offend Ti types and call them over-sensitive in the same way that the Ti doms in my family offend me and then call me oversensitive.
    Must have something to do with entps and enfps always putting emphasis on their third function, tho its actually only their third function
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

A window to the soul

Just date a couple of Te's. You'll be cured.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

i would like to point out from a realistic perspective that there really usually is no good way to point out that you're offended without people thinking you're a huge whiner.
    I don't agree. It all depends on phrasing.
    "That was unnecessary / uncalled for" or something like that doesn't come across as whiny at all to me. Keep things impersonal; tackle the message, not the messenger. If you say things like "Stop being mean" or get personal / defensive, then you could indeed invite more bitchiness because people think you're whiny.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't know how many of you guys were around 2008ish or so, but right now, the tone of the forum is very different to what it was back then. I think the distribution of types has shifted from being T domininant (INTP) to hopefully being more rounded. It was literally survival of the fittest, and being NF, well it was made quite clear to me, that apparently I didn't have the intellectual chops, simply based on that fact.
    Some of who were around in those days, have simply become more abrasive, and well, if you've ever been through a stinging swarm of INTP's, you learn to drop all niceties, and scrap intellectually. Some of us aren't above the odd personal remark. Especially when people used to take pleasure in bating the Fi-doms.
    Even a year ago, a theard like this would have buried in derision, and put down to INFP whining and over sensitivity. The rudeness and insensitivity you experience now , is nothing compared to what it used. The fact that people responded to this theard, with receptivity and very little sarcasm means this place has changed quite significantly.
    I hope this enlihgtens y'all a little bit.....this theard itself is a little bit of miracle.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]