User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Thread: Forum Etiquette

MBTI
    yupp

am I a drama llama. I don't think so, because spitting's disgusting.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

If the search function worked better, I could quote some pretty spectacular examples from my early days.
    I guess I have to bear in mind, I was used to the way gentler HSP forums at the time, though.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Hahaha, gotta love the INTP mob mentality there. I have always been tempted to troll there by saying and arguing incredibly asinine things just to get on people's nerves but my nice side prevents me from doing so.
    Go for it. OMW will toss you in Purgatory, but at least you'll get to hang out with if.you.see.kay.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I don't find the forum particularly rude, nor did I when I joined. Occasionally someone goes on a spree and it nearly always has more to do with the events going on in their life or with bad coping defenses they've learned than anything much to do with the person they are addressing.

I've learned to appreciate being challenged by someone on an opinion and also have had a chance to experiment with being more direct/assertive in certain circumstances when there is rude or uncalled for behaviour. I think that's been a positive thing for me, which trickles down to real life as well.

It has been very useful here for me though to see what kinds of statements or interactions are quite natural and innocuous to some, while the same thing from another individual/personality type might carry quite different intentions or meaning. I've learned much better to ask people what they mean or clarify before assuming they are being antagonizing or insulting towards me. I used to take INTP humour and ENTP poking/prodding way too literally and seriously and sometimes thought they were being more aggressive than they actually felt. I also have learned a little better why Fi users (particularly ENFPs) occasionally go on rants/protests about things and that it is not often with the intent of actually trying to effect a particular outcome so much as expressing what they feel is important to be said.

I think it's also useful to remember that a lot of people join this site initially because of some big change going on in their life: going off to college, leaving behind the belief system/identity they grew up with, a major breakup, issues with their friends/kids/parents/family members, depression, isolation, etc. Therefore they are more likely to act in way under stress which they may not normally use when their circumstances are more stable. This may also become their main support system/social network and so interactions here take on a much bigger significance than they normally would.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

For a while there though, outing your self as INFP was like putting a target on your chest. I mean Solitary walker and his diatribes alone were enough to offend.
    I think I'm all getting nostalgic.
    Anyway, misunderstandings /miscommunications/misfirings happen. No way to prevent them really. It was sort of awful reading Will's thread, but I understand why he got so offended. People responded tactlessly, but I don't think there was a real intention to offend.
    One of the biggest things I've learnt on this forum is the value of walking away and if necessary, replying when calmer or just stop engaging completely. And picking your battles.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Go for it. OMW will toss you in Purgatory, but at least you'll get to hang out with if.you.see.kay.
    Lol. I won't bother to because I would get bored after awhile. I signed up there before I joined here and never posted because I was scared of INTPs. Jack flak didn't help with that. Lol. True story.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I joined the site but didnt post originally, then visited a long time after my original visit and registration and found it had cleared house of a lot of the real abusive and nasty behaviour, it also seemed like it was a little more open too to be honest and the forums and subforums were planned better too to be honest. I've seen changes in the time I've been here too and some of more stupid posting and aggrivation has disappeared along with the stupid posters and source of the aggrivation, not all through moderation and banning but its had a role to play too.

The ignore list functions are pretty good, you can ignore individuals or threads and its easy to use and more effective than those tools have turned out to be on other forums which I've visited, the numbers are good here and you can generally ignore people without their posts being quoted for your attention by other members, either deliberately or accidentially, and that all works but it takes a decision on the part of the individual member who's going to use that function.

Most of the people are a source of aggrivation and little else, certainly nothing worth seriously considering I've got on ignore and that works for me. Drives them bonkers too you know

Mind you I say all that as someone whose been concerned from time to time that not sharing the views of many on topics like homosexuality or religion will result in my getting banned or being singled out as not part of the community, not contributing to the community, making others feel less at home or whatever you care to call it. Its not happened so far, so, so far so good.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I was once accused (on INTPc no less!) of being ENFJ.
    By INTPc standards I'm an INFP because I'm apparently "too nice".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

some people just take jokes way too seriously, it's not bad here at all for stuff like this. i've been in internet communities where people were constantly flaming people, insulting them for really petty or low shit (physical appearance, death of parents, etc) and like leaking people's addresses and naked pictures and private stuff. so i guess i've developed a really thick skin and i kinda thought that was part of the internet , learning to deal with that.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    some people just take jokes way too seriously, it's not bad here at all for stuff like this. i've been in internet communities where people were constantly flaming people, insulting them for really petty or low shit (physical appearance, death of parents, etc) and like leaking people's addresses and naked pictures and private stuff. so i guess i've developed a really thick skin and i kinda thought that was part of the internet , learning to deal with that.
    I hear this quite a bit, although to be honest I think that too many jerks pass of their behaviour as inconsequential, insubstantial and "just joking", that's the sorts of minimising behaviour that anyone who is bullying someone or hurting someone else will engage in, while I think everyone can have a joke its not alright to be dismissive or suggest "its all good and its all part of it" .