User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

Thread: Forum Etiquette

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Tom Sawyer, at your service, ma'am.

By the way, I'm having such fun painting this fence white. Wouldn't you just love to be able to do it like I am? I mean, not everyone is so lucky as to be able to whitewash a fence. ;D
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    When I get my shrimp boat I'm going to name it after you.
    I'm relieved; i thought you were going to start calling me "Bubba."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    What did I miss? I don't think things are bad now at all. I agree with Crystal Violet that two to three years ago there was a much more severe dog-eat-dog mentality
    That tends to happen when a bunch of NTs (mostly INTPs) from INTPc start a forum for the other types. Eventually it smooths itself out as the NTs become a minority.

Glycerine

And to think, I typed myself as INTP back in August 2008.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    And to think, I typed myself as INTP back in August 2008.
    I was once accused (on INTPc no less!) of being ENFJ.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Well, we all know you are too are a drama llama.

When I answered Limit's questionaire anonymously on PersonalityNation back in Feb or so, the first few guesses by members for me was ExFJ due to the Fe strength.

Ironically, Sim and another one or two saw me instead as a maturing ENTP with developed Fe.

I don't really fit on INTPc anymore. Maybe I never totally did, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Hahaha, gotta love the INTP mob mentality there. I have always been tempted to troll there by saying and arguing incredibly asinine things just to get on people's nerves but my nice side prevents me from doing so.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I do not understand the harsh, defensive position some people on that forum (seem to) take. I'm not the devil just because I'm not INTP, you know.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

ReflecTcelfeR

^ Exactly what the devil would want you to think!!!

MBTI
    INFP

FWIW I don't think the forum is particularly rude, and I don't think it was particularly rude when it was started either. I guess humour is in the eye of the beholder, and humour seems to be where a lot of people had/have issues. That's already been explored, and I don't have much to add other than to say that for me teasing and insults have always been a way of bonding with just about everyone I've ever been close to. A witty insult from a friend warms my heart at least as much as an artful compliment. I still find exactly the wrong thing intentionally said at exactly the right time inordinately funny* (with obvious exceptions, eg Jack Flak).

That said, I can see how other people looking on who are unaware of the background might see such exchanges as carte blanche for any kind of rudeness or inappropriateness. And I find the current widespread esteem for trolls/flame-warriors irritating, even if it's a zeitgeist thing. I should be more specific. The trollishness I find particularly irritating and detrimental to the forum health is the kind that basically attempts to punish people for being real about stuff that matters to them, and discourages people from doing so. It takes guts to make yourself vulnerable on the internet, it takes no guts at all and very little wit to exploit that vulnerability for the lulz. So I guess the general rule imo should be: if the topic is likely to involve high emotions and you don't know them well or have some level of mutual understanding then keep your amazingly funny one-liner or 4chan picture-message to yourself. Fluff threads are fair game though imo.

*in order to intentionally say exactly the wrong thing at exactly the right time you have to know what the right thing to say would be. So in those cases I see the real message in the shadow.

ETA: I do think though that sometimes people mistake constructive and relevant input phrased in an undesired way for trollishness. The underlying message for trolls seems to boil down to "care less". For me intention is everything in picking the troll from the non-troll, but that isn't always clear. I guess that's where a more formalized etiquette is useful. I just can't bring myself to get behind it though.