User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 384

Thread: Forum Etiquette

  1. #11
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Examples from the board?
    A recent one and probably the one which evoked the desire to create this thread is this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1590691

    To be honest, I see Will at fault here. Perhaps the joke - though based on a rather common impression of his picture-posting habits - hurt him; but his reaction, namely to suggest the intention to hurt him, was simply exaggerated.

  2. #12
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Saturned, I love your Te. You use it well.
    And... you are TOTALLY RIGHT. There are some obnoxious douchebags on this forum. But although the unintentionally rude ones are annoying, the MOST annoying ones are the ones who keep being annoying BECAUSE they're annoying -- and by that, I mean trolls.

    A message to those trolls: find an outlet for your geeky living-in-your-mom's-basement rage somewhere else. Or just get some therapy! And/or find a job! Or find a girlfriend? I'm just sayin'.

    /rant
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  3. #13
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I get what you're saying stigmata and I am not calling for people to be mind readers. But there are definite times in here where the blind can see the other person is upset. In those instances I think it would be a far pleasanter community if people could back off.

    That's my main material point.

  4. #14
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I think the real problem is people taking themselves and this forum entirely too seriously.
    Agreed.

    You can't see facial expressions and vocal inflections over a computer screen, which troubles some. Some people need that to determine a joke from something serious.

  5. #15
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    A recent one and probably the one which evoked the desire to create this thread is this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1590691

    To be honest, I see Will at fault here. Perhaps the joke - though based on a rather common impression of his picture-posting habits - hurt him; but his reaction, namely to suggest the intention to hurt him, was simply exaggerated.
    Nice one, Nicodemus; That's an excellent example of forumers who are mean by accident. I can safely say that YWIR means well and was just trying to tease. I actually relate to that; I know how it is to accidentally walk all over people's feelings with your Te. But poor Will, too!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  6. #16
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Saturned, I love your Te. You use it well.
    And... you are TOTALLY RIGHT. There are some obnoxious douchebags on this forum. But although the unintentionally rude ones are annoying, the MOST annoying ones are the ones who keep being annoying BECAUSE they're annoying -- and by that, I mean trolls.

    A message to those trolls: find an outlet for your geeky living-in-your-mom's-basement rage somewhere else. Or just get some therapy! And/or find a job! Or find a girlfriend? I'm just sayin'.

    /rant
    I love this rant!

  7. #17
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Nice one, Nicodemus; That's an excellent example of forumers who are mean by accident. I can safely say that YWIR means well and was just trying to tease. I actually relate to that; I know how it is to accidentally walk all over people's feelings with your Te. But poor Will, too!
    Yes, he just took it the wrong way.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Stigmata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    A recent one and probably the one which evoked the desire to create this thread is this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1590691

    To be honest, I see Will at fault here. Perhaps the joke - though based on a rather common impression of his picture-posting habits - hurt him; but his reaction, namely to suggest the intention to hurt him, was simply exaggerated.
    Exactly. This was pretty much I was referencing in my post as his reaction defined the tone of the thread, rather than what initially started it. I wouldn't have ever thought twice about what was said in any sort of negative light had he not of reacted to it in a negative way. I agree that when someone is clearly upset that if the nature of the original post was not malicious that the person could back off, but at the same time that doesn't give the other person an excuse to react inappropriately.

    Did they know prior to posting that he would respond that way? No. Therefore I reiterate my point of you aren't really responsible for how people respond.

  9. #19
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I think the real problem is people taking themselves and this forum entirely too seriously.
    This.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Exactly. This was pretty much I was referencing in my post as his reaction defined the tone of the thread, rather than what initially started it. I wouldn't have ever thought twice about what was said in any sort of negative light had he not of reacted to it in a negative way. I agree that when someone is clearly upset that if the nature of the original post was not malicious that the person could back off, but at the same time that doesn't give the other person an excuse to react inappropriately.
    It also seems to me that what happened there was the release of long bottled-up frustration over, perhaps, many of such misreadings of intention.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  2. Forum etiquette?
    By Giggly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
  3. Forum Etiquette
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO