User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Thread: Forum Etiquette

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

its survivel of the fittest, dont eat the troll !!!

..think I really should go to bed now that sleep deprivation the last 3 days is getting to the brain gn8
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Solution:
    Go to INTPc and come back after a month.
    Personality Nation actually has less moderation than here. You can call people bitches and retards there and the mods give you a choice if you want to remove the insult yourself or not before they remove it themselves.

But they have like this whole mediation team and public trials, so amazingly the forum is rather under control despite the leniency.

I've heard horror stories about INTPc and I can tell you that INTJforum is a bunch of self-congratulatory nerds mentally masturbating over their own imaginary awesomeness, set off by a fine mix of arbitrary harsh rules that seem subhuman in their inability to deal with members in shades of gray rather than black and white.

Personality Cafe is the most "feeler-ish" forum in terms of being heavily moderated and very, very low levels of conflict or prankish behavior.

Personally I like Personality Cafe sometimes, but overall I find it very dull for that reason.

Etiquette is a very interesting problem for different cultures have different etiquettes.

The only solution is to learn the different etiquettes of the different cultures. This is difficult to do without knowing the language.

Fortunately we live in the global village where our lingua franca is English. This makes the problem more manageable, for we only have to learn the etiquettes of American English and British English.

So the first question is why is American English different from British English? And the answer lies in the violent, American revolution against lawful authority and the lexicographer of the Revolution, Noah Webster.

Why did Noah hate British English so much he sought to neuter it?

We might as well ask what are the different etiquettes of Cricket and Baseball?

The problem, as I see it, is that the Americans are one dimensional and, with the best intentions in the world, seek to impose their one dimension on all of us, for our own good.

While the British are multi-dimensional and can easily accept two forms of English, British English and American English.

Unfortunately the Americans will continue to make enemies by imposing their one dimensional etiquette.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

What did I miss? I don't think things are bad now at all. I agree with Crystal Violet that two to three years ago there was a much more severe dog-eat-dog mentality, and yes, I learned from the experiences, actually. It was a growth experience and I'm glad I had it. Shiny Te is shiny.

On the other hand, I agree with Saturned that if someone is obviously hurting in some way you should back off. Making people cry is bad, but I think people should be allowed to joke, tease, and make certain points without it being white-washed as "politically incorrect."

There is a line between the two things.

But overall I don't think the forum is that bad right now at all.
    Well, people tended to attack one another back then, too. But this place has turned into something that resembles highschool with fakeness, bullying, cliques and all that idiocy.
    It's fun as long as the popular people are nice people, like Kyuuei, Nijntje and Saturned etc, but it's worse when others who are popular treat others with cruelty, backtalk and such.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Yeah, I remember when I came here from INTPc - the ultimate place for NF hazing... I had gotten used to it and had to calm down a little myself.

As long as people who give it can take it, if they can't, that's the thing that annoys me but I don't see it a lot here.
    Could you elaborate on/give an example of that kind of "NF hazing", if it's not too much of a bother? I don't frequent INTPc, and now I'm curious...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Solution:
    Go to INTPc and come back after a month.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Could you elaborate on/give an example of that kind of "NF hazing", if it's not too much of a bother? I don't frequent INTPc, and now I'm curious...
    No, I can't give you specific examples. You just know if you are an F there that for some people it means there are hurdles to clear. Which was fine by me. It never really offended me and I found INTPc to be hilarious, and a most enjoyable internet destination. But that is probably because I like a sharp, witty sense of humor. And people there seemed to generally be able to take a joke. Not sure what it's like there now.

A window to the soul

@saturned: It's like this...

You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    Know when to run

I think it's probably less upbeat than more abrasive now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well, people tended to attack one another back then, too. But this place has turned into something that resembles highschool with fakeness, bullying, cliques and all that idiocy.
    It's fun as long as the popular people are nice people, like Kyuuei, Nijntje and Saturned etc, but it's worse when others who are popular treat others with cruelty, backtalk and such.

None of this social stuff bothers me in the slightest, I think it contributes to the fun, but it may be because I'm an ExFx.

JTG actually used to talk about the cliques and the popular people on this forum over a year ago. The funny thing is I always thought he was kind of popular (or at least notorious) so I could never figure out what he was so pissed about, but I think with him it boiled down to the "N snobbery" here.