User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Angry Why are the biggest assholes often also the most popular people?

At least that is how it seems to me sometimes. I would guess everyone could name people who are very popular, no matter where you look, be it in your own environment or in TV or in internet or wherever, although they seem to you as an obvious dickhead, and you wonder why anyone can take his/her attitude at all, but they get lots of attention and seem popular.

edit: Because I apparently was misunderstood frequently: I mean that remarkably big assholes often belong to the more popular people, but I don't mean in reverse that most popular people are assholes.
    Last edited by Eckhart; 06-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.

ReflecTcelfeR

People want to protect themselves. If not by standing up to the asshole ( It could cause injury, not to mention the fact that if you stand up and no one follows you you become isolated), then befriending them.

Riva

they are not always the most popular people. They are more famous than popular. They get around more than normal people and push boundaries (without knowing or meaning to) more. They interact more than most other people do, simply do to the fact that they roam the world not caring so much about what others are feeling. The more one interacts the more exposure one gets. Yes there will be people who'll hate you on the way, but there will be people who'll like you to. And there'll definitely will be people who'll be terrified of you for having such a hard exterior which is impenetrable therefore would associate you rather than dismiss you.

Like Hustler from INTPc.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    At least that is how it seems to me sometimes. I would guess everyone could name people who are very popular, no matter where you look, be it in your own environment or in TV or in internet or wherever, although they seem to you as an obvious dickhead, and you wonder why anyone can take his/her attitude at all, but they get lots of attention and seem popular.
    1) they're usually not. this is a misconception that people get out of envy. other people do the same thing and reinforce each other's views which eventually leads to everyone hearing that popular people are are douche bags. my experience is that popular people in reality are MORE accepting and MORE considerate. when I was in high school, the nerds and the theatre kids wouldn't let me sit with them, but the preps would.
    2) more people who are jerks are confident and know what they want. as such, they tend to acquire more economic/practical value and are thus envied and perceived as popular
    3) conversely, people who are passive are not likely to be popular because everyone knows that they're pathetic and too weak to get anything done. I'd rather be a successful douchebag than a passive looser. of course, I would be fool to assume that it's an either or choose, simply a correlation. morals are like a powerful weapon, you need the strength to wield them if you want to see them come into effect
    4) douche bags get a lot of negative attention, thus they're misconceived as popular if one can't make the distinction between different kinds of attention.
    5) people are afraid to stand up to douche bags, this allows them to a) get what they want more and b) be perceived as more popular/agreeable because on one will step in and say "sit yo ass down!"
    6) the american legal system is incredibly bureaucratic and rewards greed, crime and disregard for the benefit of others. that's why the book "Crime Pays" is a best seller.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Assholes, or people that can be perceived as such, generally exude a certain amount of charisma and confidence which tends to attract the attention of others around them; Whether the attention they garner can be interpreted negative or positive is something entire separate. Even if you utterly despise the asshole, you still can't help but notice their strong presence, which is where the factor of popularity is attributed.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    they are not always the most popular people. They are more famous than popular.
    Yeah, sometimes it's infamy as opposed to fame.

figsfiggyfigs

I'm a pretty big deal...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Just to clear up: I wondered why big jerks often belong to the most popular people. I don't mean that popular people are all assholes in reverse, I know they are not, often not at all.

@ReflecttcelfeR: Hm. I guess it could be true in some situations, at least when the person is in the nearer environment.

@Riva: Yes, there is sure some truth in it. But I don't exactly understand sometimes why people feel drawn to people who treat others badly / without respect without reason. It is like with women (or men too) who get abused regularly by their partner but don't leave them. Sometimes it is because of scaredness / being (or seeming to be) dependent on them, sometimes they just don't seem to realize what is going on or don't seem to understand they deserve better treatment. Obviously it is not the same situation, but that is something which pops up in my head sometimes.

@Elfboy:

I did not mean to say that all popular people are assholes (it seems to me you understood my post like that).

1. The people I mean treat people who they see "below them" without respect, insult them and what not, thinking they are something better. Regarding the "nerd kids", I saw very mixed behaviours. Some were like you said very hostile to other people (although I find this is not always without reason), some seem to be awkward about it and don't really seem to know what to do with it, and some are rather open but without self-confidence and so may be passive.

2. That it is easier to gain economic benefits when you are egoistic in your behaviour is rather obvious, yeah. This is not what I was going on for though.

3. "conversely, people who are passive are not likely to be popular because everyone knows that they're pathetic and too weak to get anything done." I cannot lie that I find this statement rather disgruntling. Such kinds of judgements are not really my way of how I think and judge people. I never understood why some people have this attitude. Possibly I might fit myself for you in this area of passive pathetic people anyway though (before it swings back, my self-image looks a little different) and probably I am just envious in your opinion...

4. Yes, that may be true in some cases, I mean though douchebags which indeed don't seem to suffer any bad reputation although they behave like douchebags.

5. Yes, that might be possible in many cases and might be a key point. It would make sense. However not standing up against one asshole is one thing, but hanging around with or even supporting the same person is another thing I would guess. I could imagine that those people want to profit from the lobby (or lets better say authority) the asshole has for themselves in some way too.

6. Well, I don't live in America, but this is pretty true for most countries I would think.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

They aren't popular with everyone (and I hardly think they're "most" popular), but there are people who seem drawn to them. I can think of a couple reasons. One is the feeling of power they get by forming an alliance with someone who acts dominant. Another is the sense of flattery, the idea that someone might go around acting like an asshole to everyone but still want to be friendly with you. That can make people feel special. Another is the effect of someone's confidence level on others' opinion of them: if someone goes around acting like a big shot, then it's likely a fair number of people will buy it and believe that person really is a big shot.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Really, you can't blame them (for being popular) .. they wouldn't be popular if the masses didn't give them that power. It's not any more their fault than yours and mine and everyones.. for tuning in. Okay, so I try to not tune in.. I haven't owned a TV going on 4 years now for this reason alone. Real people that deserve to be known and commended rarely are. Maybe for a split second, maybe in a local newpaper, etc. Then its back to watching Brittney Spears have hideous extensions and neglect her kids, or Charlie Sheen beat up another woman. Total bummer, huh?

Sometimes it's like a train wreck, you can't look away.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

The more noise you create in a crowd, the more you get noticed. Simple as that.