User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I doubt their picture is a purposeful attempt to misrepresent their gender. It's probably just a picture they like, or conveys an idea other than gender that they find representative of themselves.

I don't really find gender to be all that important, especially on a forum. And all of my stuff (name/avatar/etc) has always been pretty gender neutral, but a lot of people assumed I was a guy at first. Does it really change how you interact with someone?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Does it really change how you interact with someone?
    I assume it does in a lot of cases.

People have a habit of thinking I'm female if I don't explicitly say I'm male. This can make a difference, it was particularly relevant playing games online.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I assume it does in a lot of cases.

People have a habit of thinking I'm female if I don't explicitly say I'm male. This can make a difference, it was particularly relevant playing games online.
    It does. I thought like Athenian on here was female and treated her accordingly, but the thing is, she identifies as a woman, so I picked up the right vibe...

I don't know why those people thought I was male on INTJforum chat. I think it's because I'm very comfortable here and have pretty much created a caricature of myself to function on this forum. I think in there I was being a lot more quiet and serious or something. I guess they just presume you must be a dude if you're on the Internetz on INTJforum unless explicitly explained otherwise.

Seriously, though. I think I behave differently based upon which side of myself (and how much of my real self) I choose to present.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftKick View Post
    As I spend more time in TypeC, I find a lot of people don't mention what gender they are. Some people change their avatars from male to female, or have a picture that is not the persons gender as an avatar. While my pic doesn't give you that information,a quick search will provide that info. Why hide or misrepresent who you are? Is it because you don't want it to be a factor in how people respond to you, or something else? I personally like knowing who I'm chatting with, and want others to know who I am. I mean absolutely no disrespect in this, and totally respect and understand wanting to keep personal information private. I was just wondering.
    On Central time and space are abolished and we are disembodied. However we still have the hangover from the time we were embodied in a particular gender, but now we find we are no longer embodied so we can be one gender of the other, or best of all, no gender at all - which the medieval scholars called, pure spirits.

Yes, we are pure spirits in the noosphere.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I'm totally a girl with DD cups.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I'm totally a girl with DD cups.
    HAY BB. WANT 2 SEND ME NUDES?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    GONE

Since this is a forum about identity and understanding what makes people tick, I am very forthcoming on this site about being biologically female and I've mentioned I'm female and genderqueer. Meaning, while right now and for a long while now I like being a girly girl, I understand that gender is performative and fluid and tomorrow morning I may decide I wanna be real butch or or real androgynous. It's not set in stone nor am I beholden to any outside standard.

However, in certain other online communities, it really don't matter what I am biologically or gender wise. It's true, people put a lot of different expectations and interpret your words very differently depending on "what" they think you are. On a personality/typology site that is integral to the vocabulary and people are prepared to work with those expectations and discuss them as part of a larger dialogue. Otherwise, these expectations can just be baggage and bs and I will purposely evade being boxed in.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I doubt their picture is a purposeful attempt to misrepresent their gender. It's probably just a picture they like, or conveys an idea other than gender that they find representative of themselves.
    Exactly. It's interesting how simply not making any sort of obvious display of your gender is perceived as deliberately "hiding" it. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm female. I don't mention it a lot, since I'd rather just stay on topic and allow people to respond to my ideas, but when it's relevant to what I'm discussing it's perfectly clear.

I think the fact that it reads as odd if someone's gender isn't obvious shows that people do subconsciously use gender a lot in deciding how to interact with someone.

I used to have a pretty "masculine" avatar and most people presumed I was a guy, which wasn't a big deal, but everyone offline knows I'm a female, so why shouldn't people online know it as well? Even though people use terms like "IRL" to describe offline behaviour, the truth is this is real life, too.

I'm interacting with real people who are just farther away from me and I like for our interactions reflect that.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LeftKick View Post
    I personally like knowing who I'm chatting with, and want others to know who I am.
    And why does gender factor into that so strongly? What about someone's age, their socio-economic class, their creed, their character and so on, why does gender have such an impact on what is required to "know" someone? Online is a unique space where people are not automatically put into boxes based on gender expectations, why make a point of boxing yourself or considering those who don't as hiding or misrepresenting themselves? Why not use it as an opportunity to get to know someone without social expectations.