User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    You would sacrifice of 6 million civilian lives for a "reminder" of what should never be done? I don't think most people have to be reminded not to commit genocide..
    Yeah, I didn't get the reasoning there, either. I say get a freakin' time machine and take Hitler out. That's one history lesson the world could have done without.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yeah, I didn't get the reasoning there, either. I say get a freakin' time machine and take Hitler out. That's one history lesson the world could have done without.
    *shrugs* I know... it makes very little sense...

Edit: Why didn't anybody ask Metal why he picked Hitler?

MBTI
    INFP

I was interested in your comment, not so much your choice.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    *shrugs* I know... it makes very little sense...

Edit: Why didn't anybody ask Metal why he picked Hitler?
    That's actually a good question. I guess because you said why you'd save him. Didn't mean to pick on you, though. It just seemed odd that you'd choose to save him as a lesson on what not to do, when you could a) stop him from doing what he did or b) punish him. If the hypothetical takes place after Hitler's done his crimes, why not let him die, and let the history books remind us what not to do?

I understand for some people, a human is a human, and they'd save them every time over an animal. But in this case, I don't know why anyone wouldn't pick the collie.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

That's actually a good question. I guess because you said why you'd save him. Didn't mean to pick on you, though. It just seemed odd that you'd choose to save him as a lesson on what not to do, when you could a) stop him from doing what he did or b) punish him. If the hypothetical takes place after Hitler's done his crimes, why not let him die, and let the history books remind us what not to do?

I understand for some people, a human is a human, and they'd save them every time over an animal. But in this case, I don't know why anyone wouldn't pick the collie.
    Well, essentially I backed myself between a rock and a hard place.

The previous question was "a stranger" vs "your dog". I picked the stranger... because he/she's human. Now replace stranger with Hitler... you see my problem? A stranger... could be anybody... could have done anything. How do I know the stranger isn't another Hitler?

Once again points to Raindancing for the fine selection of scenarios.

Anyways... next, I compared Hitler vs Lassie... Both are icons. One represent evil, the other good. We have plenty of Lassies already... Benji? Shadow? Bud? Even me a movie illiterate can name so many... but there's only one Hitler...

Both of them are dead already... so what am I saving? The icon... what they represented. Which has the most impact? Hitler... so I chose him.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I didn't get the reasoning there, either. I say get a freakin' time machine and take Hitler out.
    The problem with that argument is that if you take out Hitler before he does much damage, then the following generations wouldn't remember him with such distaste.

This means that when it gets around to you being born and raised, you won't be brought up to believe Hitler was a bad a man as he would otherwise have destined to become.

This means you would never have gone back in time to kill him.

Which means he doesn't get killed by you and so he can embark upon the atrocities he caused.

Which means you would have heard of him in which case you would go back in time and kill him.

Which means you wouldn't go back in time and kill him.

Which means you would go back in time and kill him.

This, in the words of the noble scientist, Doctor (Doc) Emmett L. Brown, would cause a major paradox and destroy the space-time continuum.

Would it really be worth killing everyone in the entire universe just to kill Hitler?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    The problem with that argument is that if you take out Hitler before he does much damage, then the following generations wouldn't remember him with such distaste.

This means that when it gets around to you being born and raised, you won't be brought up to believe Hitler was a bad a man as he would otherwise have destined to become.

This means you would never have gone back in time to kill him.

Which means he doesn't get killed by you and so he can embark upon the atrocities he caused.

Which means you would have heard of him in which case you would go back in time and kill him.

Which means you would go back in time and kill him.

This, in the words of the noble scientist, Doctor (Doc) Emmett L. Brown, would cause a major paradox and destroy the space-time continuum.

Would it really be worth killing everyone in the entire universe just to kill Hitler?
    Whoa, dude. You just totally blew my mind!

What if I want to kill him retroactively in a sort of sitcom/Bewitched sort of way, where I get to time-travel, interact with the locals in a comically anachronistic fashion, and it's all neatly wrapped up at the end of the show, with no pesky science-related issues? And then I gather up Lassie, and we all go pull a kid from a well?

Quote Originally Posted by nightning
    Now replace stranger with Hitler... you see my problem? A stranger... could be anybody... could have done anything. How do I know the stranger isn't another Hitler?
    Excellent point. Always go with the dog. The dog is guaranteed to not show Hitler-like tendencies. Even the mean ones only take out one or two people, max.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I just asked my INTP husband what he would do... save Hitler or save lassie? His response, "Save Hitler, so he can be properly punished for his crimes."

I have to admit, this reasoning didn't occur to me
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I voted to save Hitler because I also voted to save my family over the canine species, so Lassie would have been killed by my choice. That would have eliminated my chance to save something, and I think that a human life, however depraved it's existance may have turned out to be, should be saved out of principal. I am not qualified to judge his existance because I am not omnipotent.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    INTP

With these questions it pits nobility against self interest, for me self interest won every time.

a) A child or an adult

The adult, I can have sex with the adult.

b) A stranger or your dog

My dog. From my perspective strangers die everyday. If I actively put my dog over a stranger, I'd be driving around all the time, waiting for accidents to happen and throwing my dog at integral, opportune moments to maximize human life.

c) Hitler or lassie

Hitler, just for the conversation. It would be an awkward day on babelfish, but something about Lassie just seems a bit too stuck up.

Plus Lassie is fictional. And the only real way to keep her alive is to write a story about her. In fact here's one:

One day Lassie got up, then she fell through a hole onto a whole bunch of knives which were covered in AIDS. A more painful death could not have been possible and all her friends were happy she was dead.

The End

There you go, Lassie is dead now and consequently unsaveable.

d) Your spouse or a Nobel Laureate

Spouse obviously. The Nobel Laureate has already won the prize, so their good works are done. Fuck 'em.

e) A dog or a weasel

Neither, I probably wouldn't be in the mood. Unless of course I knew the dog, I don't know any weasels.

f) Your entire family or the entire canine species

Family, which includes our dog. But what possible situation would have these two groups vying for salvation from me?

g) A bottle with the cure for cancer or your brother

I'd make up my own cure for cancer and save my brother

h) A bottle with the cure for cancer or your brother who just gave you one of his kidneys

The bottle this time. That way I could get my brother's other kidney.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.