User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Would you get it done Fidelia and would you be happier with one result rather than another? Do you hope that you could be revealled as a Jewish Princess?

Do you think that your identity is more cultural or ethnical? I dont know if that's worded properly but you know what I mean.
    I don't think I'd really care what the result was, but I would find it interesting, particularly if there was anything surprising, as I think I'm 100% Western European. I don't think I have a very strong ethnic or cultural identity other than perhaps enjoying the benefits that come with being part of the predominant population. I think I was more aware of my cultural identity as well as my genetic physical traits when I lived on a reserve where I didn't match the majority of the population, but as time went on I found myself less and less conscious of it or uncomfortable about it.

I'd get it done in a heartbeat even if it cost some money, as long as I felt that the results would be reliable, rather than the equivalent of reading a Chinese fortune cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'd get it done in a heartbeat even if it cost some money, as long as I felt that the results would be reliable, rather than the equivalent of reading a Chinese fortune cookie.
    That is a good point.

I think I would like to do a DNA check less to know about my genetic heritage than to know about my compatibility or incompatibility with others, I've indicated that before in the different eugenics or biometric ID card threads. Great topic BTW.

Are you interested in geneology or family trees and history too?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

This sounds like oodles of fun, although not very useful. Who wouldn't do it if it were free?!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'm interested in family history, but not so much to just gather names as to figure out what different factors in each line carried on to affect me now or influenced the people that came before me. I find it interesting from a religious perspective, as well as in terms of what strengths/skills/interests people had, how their life circumstances shaped them and so on.

For example, on two opposite sides of the family, we had ancestors in Russia and also ancestors from Scotland that travelled to opposite sides of the globe, following religious scheisters. However, as a result, they ended up leaving their countries before other bad events happened and went to North America (with a big detour in between), which afforded opportunities for their descendants that would never have been possible otherwise. As a result of the Great Depression in the 30s, the gospel came to both my mum and dad's side of the family, neither of which were Christian. It was through a couple of Bible school students sent out to Prairie towns to preach. Neither were great examples over time (one married the town drunk, and the other was very dysfunctional to begin with), but good came of it that has translated down through the generations, despite the people who brought the gospel to us. My one strand of Mennonite ancestors that had followed the religious leader from Russia across the desert and into Uzbekistan before finally deserting and going going to North America were ashamed of having been so trusting and for the most part abandoned their faith, although it planted seeds that were awakened two generations later when the Depression hit.

I found it fascinating when I visited Newfoundland to realize where certain expressions or ways of speaking with my Grandma had come from and how the superstitions that were rife in Newfoundland culture in her grandmother's time were brought with those ancestors to the Prairies and passed on.

As I have delved further back, I've also discovered that public speaking, writing and story telling were very present through the generations of one strand of the family. That is something that I also am interested in and so it's fascinating to think how certain people's priorities back then, may have affected what I've become now.

In one chunk of the family, music was a very big priority, even though there was not much money available. As a result, five generations or more later, there is still a preponderance of music in our family. The results of their vision for the future and the priorities they chose, even when resources and expertise were not readily available speaks to me about what I could make possible for the generations to come in my family if I believe it is worthwhile.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    As I have delved further back, I've also discovered that public speaking, writing and story telling were very present through the generations of one strand of the family. That is something that I also am interested in and so it's fascinating to think how certain people's priorities back then, may have affected what I've become now.
    This is similar in my family, on my dad's side anyway, with writing and academia, and it also makes me wonder about priorities being passed down, or even some sort of inclination "in the blood".
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

figsfiggyfigs

Thats a very interesting idea. I'd love to do that, just for curiosities sake, and mainly because people always tell me I look like I'm mixed with something else. It would be interesting to know what my genetic history is.

I have an interest in the family geneology which waxes and wanes, there's been interesting snatches of information which I've only gleaned accidentially or incompletely now and again which makes me think about even the recent history.

For instance I heard that a family member who was actually an english emigre to NI and senior naval officer in the British navy was once held in a security force raid as a republic terror suspect because he went to a funneral that another family member with the same name who was exiled was expected to appear at.

Not recently but I remember my granny saying, when she was alive, if we were all sitting watching TV and there was a broadcast about some murder or assasination of some paramilitary leader on the TV something along the lines of "that's your uncles cousin dead now". The family seems to have been pretty evenly split between security forces and paramilitaries back in the day, there's people in Australia, ROI and Canada who cant come back to NI because they're likely to get killed or arrested at whatever port they arrive at and I dont know why, not all of them are outlaws either.

Then I was surprised to find out that maybe as little as three or four generations ago our family was a completely different religion and the otherside of the community to that which I've grown up with, identified with and believed we'd been exclusively associated with for years. Its a good thing I'd dispensed with whatever sectarian ideas I might have had years ago or that would have been an even greater shock.

Thankfully it doesnt seem like there were ever any raging capitalists in the family. The only known homosexuals were on the mothers side of the family, cousins, they were all female.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Curiosity factor: High. I'd do it for curiosity's sake. I don't think it'd really affect me one way or the other outside of that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm curious what the heck I am, ethnically. I'd be more interested to know who my ancestors were and what they did, though, but that's not the question. But it's an interesting piece of the puzzle.

I'd also guess that as there is more and more research they will likely continue to correlate genetic markers to physical traits. I'm fascinated at how people are built differently.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

I'd love to get it done, mainly because I have only gotten so far in my own research of family history, interesting results I've found, apparently I have Cuban, Dutch/German, French & Cherokee ancestry but I haven't been able to go any further in research, Was thinking about paying for it but the cost is rather high, I find the idea fascinating, I don't think people should be prideful of it or anything, but I think it leads to an acceptance of differences and really destroys the argument by racists/supremacists (on both sides of the coin).