User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it'd be really interesting. It could confirm (or deny) the stories my grandma told me about having Cherokee blood on my dad's side... I've done pretty extensive genealogical research and so far haven't found any evidence that this is true, yet it's a family legend that I suppose must have come from somewhere. And maybe it'd also fill in a couple of outer gaps I've come across in my genealogy. But I don't want to dedicate a lot of money to it, at least not right now. Maybe someday.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I would be really interested in it, unexpected results wouldnt bother me either.

Ethnicity and identity interests me, the relationship between ethnicity and culture interests me and cultural exclusivity and universality but I'm not a proponent of ethnonationalism and I think it sucks donkey balls to be honest, Ayrianism and Zionism are about the same thing to me, different only in the crimes which have been committed in their name (if that is too offensive a comparison for some then replace it with some other ethno-cultural dichotomy, it'll be hard to find one though to be honest which makes the point as well).

I dont really have a strong, strong affinity for a particular ethno-cultural identity and I dont have a strong aversion to any other either, I do recall a story a while back about an africankeer family which was a strong proponent of race consciousness which actually had a black child, it was an anomalous consequence of there being an unknown black african ancestor, I dont remember what happened to them or what they thought though.

Although what I would say is that geneology and family tree research isnt that popular in my own family, we've never really worried that much about heritage and history, I'm one of the first to be really interested in it and to think about legacies, family culture, general culture and things like that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'd love to do it, but I'd be skeptical about the accuracy of the tests. I'd like to know more about what they're able to determine with accuracy, otherwise, it's the equivalent of taking a facebook quiz--something fun to talk about for five minutes, but having no real bearing on your life.
    I agree! One site called DN ATribes suggested that they have a different process than some which can only follow a familial line through female or male DNA, therefore only revealing results about two ancestral lines. The DNA Tribes people said that they compare the genes present to various populations throughout the world for which have the closest connections (eg anomalies, unique genetic traits etc). Then the person is given a report of which populations match up to which characteristics they possess, rather than spitting out what percentage of each ethnicity you are. Because different siblings will inherit slightly different genes, the results within one family may vary considerably. After the main genetic populations are narrowed down, you can also choose to have further analysis of more localized populations that your genes appear to match with. For example, if it were determined that you were of UK extraction, it would try to pinpoint which small area of which country most closely matches your DNA. Same thing for indigenous North Americans etc.

It seems to me that there is considerable variation between different companies, but it generally is in the $150-300 range to get it done, which is much cheaper than it was a few years ago.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Would you get it done Fidelia and would you be happier with one result rather than another? Do you hope that you could be revealled as a Jewish Princess?

Do you think that your identity is more cultural or ethnical? I dont know if that's worded properly but you know what I mean.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'd do it. Definitely. Nothing about it would surprise me. I mean, we're all mutts in the end, and we're all from Africa...
    I would be more interested in a time machine (and translator) so I could talk with some of my ancestors from 10,000 years ago. But I could go with just knowing where they were from.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'd love to do it, but I'd be skeptical about the accuracy of the tests. I'd like to know more about what they're able to determine with accuracy, otherwise, it's the equivalent of taking a facebook quiz--something fun to talk about for five minutes, but having no real bearing on your life.
    You're skeptical just because you think it's like a facebook quiz? I'm skeptical of you being skeptical, is your skepticism based on logical empiric grounds, or just a personal philosophical attitude?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You're skeptical just because you think it's like a facebook quiz? I'm skeptical of you being skeptical, is your skepticism based on logical empiric grounds, or just a personal philosophical attitude?
    You're taking me too literally. I'm saying I'd be interested in doing it if I had proof the results accurately display one's heritage. As Redbone and fidelia have touched on, many of these tests don't give a complete picture. Without the complete picture, it's not useful, and becomes more like a fun thing to do to pass the time. If it were free, I guess I'd do it regardless. If I had to pay hundreds of dollars to have it done, I'd want to know it was going to be useful.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think it would be interesting & I'd be up for it if I had money to burn (which I don't).

I realize it only gives an incomplete picture to have one line determined (there's no percentage breakdown), so it wouldn't totally change my perception of my heritage anyway. Obviously, cultural ethnicity has more bearing on identity than actual bloodlines. My great aunt on my mom's side was a librarian who traced the paternal line back to 17th century Spain & my dad's side is German back to the 13th century through his mother. So any surprises would just be amusement to me.

I think it's easier to test your mother's side (?), and that's the side I'm most interested in anyway.

I watched the show on National Geographic called the "Genographic Project" and it was pretty interesting to see how some people who have totally different features & coloring (appearing as different races) are genetically more alike than others who appear similar (ie. both Asian). It shows how race really is just "skin deep".

Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius likes the idea, but he thinks his genetics are too boring since it probably would not tell him any more than he is R1b.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think it's easier to test your mother's side (?), and that's the side I'm most interested in anyway.
    Normally men can get either side tested; women can get their maternal side tested only. (The test for paternal lineage uses Y chromosome DNA). So a woman who wants to know about her paternal lineage would need to get a sample from a brother, father or paternal uncle.

I haven't looked at that 'DNA Tribes' thing Fidelia mentioned, which sounds like a completely different test from the Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA tracing that's normally done.

I wouldn't bother with it at the current price. Maybe if it ever becomes a lot cheaper, and more is known about the reliability of its claims.