User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I would totally do it, free or not(within a reasonable price range, of course). I don't think there would be many surprises though.

I have had a lot of people tell me that they thought I was Russian, but I don't see it. >.<

ThatGirl

I don't think it would be life changing to find out there are different ethnicities in my back ground than previously thought. Then again I am not one of those people who think our physical make up defines who we are as a person. I consider myself Italian despite Irish heritage on my fathers side because I was dominantly raised by my mothers side of the family. If I were raised by animals, I'd probably consider myself an animal as well.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I'd be very interested. I don't put a huge amount of stock in my ethnic heritage but it does interest me. I have some romantic/probably not very realistic ideas about ancestry influencing the places where we choose to live, our temperament, etc, so it kind of plays into that. If there was something really unexpected I'd look at it from that angle.

I'm Canadian and on my paternal grandmother's side the family has at least partly been in Canada for a few hundred years, which is long by Canadian standards. My heritage is largely northern European (Scandinavian/English), but I'm curious as to whether we may have a bit of native Canadian heritage. If part of the family background has been in Canada for that long, it's quite likely, and I've been told a few times by native people that I look like I could be part native. I'm also slightly curious about whether there may be any Jewish ancestry as based on looks I think again it's a possibility, and I am quite interested in Jewish culture. I basically look northern European though - living in Europe, before they hear me speak people often assume I'm something like German, especially because I'm tall.

Like I said though, I'm mainly interested in it on a sort of romantic level.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

This anecdote in the OP strikes me as a very North American phenomenon. But knowing more about my ancestry would be interesting.

Since I am a German in Germany and the family can be traced back to the 17th century on my mother's side (all farmers in the same region, so it's easy) and at least half a dozent or more generations on my father's side (I keep asking him to finally send me the data and documents my grandfather collected) there should be few suprises.

Twi things would interest me but should be hard to do via DNA because it is all too close together, I guess:
    1. There should be quite a bit of Polish influence since my father's side (1945) is from Silesia. They must have mixed at some point, even if the were Germans.
    2. It was once rumoured my mother (1947) might be the offspring of a British soldier of the occupational forces rather than my grandpa.

It would be cool to have a more mixed background. Not because I think it has any influence on who I am or what makes up my identity but because it would mean another cool story to tell. It would mean a narrative enrichment, not a cultural one. I envy people with a very mixed heritage that have several cultural influences and a more complicated family history.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I would do it if it was for free and a short procedure. I am even confused about my not-so-far generations, how much German and how much Polish is in family, and god knows what was before.

If it was too expensive or takes too much effort, I don't know if I would bother enough.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Would it bother you if you discovered something unexpected or would you just see it as something interesting?
    I would love getting unexpected results on something like this. I'd find it totally interesting.

I remember watching the PBS series a few years back that had some celebrities do this test. Henry Gates Jr- who's director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard, and could hardly identify more as an African American if he tried- found out that his ancestors were actually European. He seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about it. At least on camera.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'd do it for free, maybe even for a couple bucks. I really can't imagine what unexpected results would be for me. Probably some sort of Asian heritage would be surprising. As it is I already have light skinned/eyed Spanish and dark skinned/eyed Spanish, Jewish and Native American. My father is often pointed out in public as being the late Pat Morita, so hmm... Most people I know are not terribly concerned about their heritage, I suppose they probably identify with their skin color. I'm a bit dark so in our culture, I'm already at least 1/16 something else. *shrug*

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I'd freaking LOVE to do it. I'm about 100% Swedish on my mother's side, but it is impossible to determine stuff about my father's line past 1900, there almost seems to be a cover-up of something.
    It probably seems more interesting than it is. Research, however, leads in two different directions that are both dead ends it seems? That's pretty weird.
    If you listen to the old people of my family, there aren't many, they'll tell you that we're Walloon (french-speaking belgian) originally, while some others say that we are Norwegian, and perhaps something else recently before that.
    Jew? English? Gypsy? Half black? Maybe i'm a close relative of Paul Bunyan?

It'd be pretty cool to know, either way.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I would enjoy trying such a test, yet it would probably not give any unexpected result, since my phenotype is quite common all over central and northern italy.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

I'd love to do it, but I'd be skeptical about the accuracy of the tests. I'd like to know more about what they're able to determine with accuracy, otherwise, it's the equivalent of taking a facebook quiz--something fun to talk about for five minutes, but having no real bearing on your life.
    Something Witty