alcohol was always made me happy/ I've been suicidal and homicidal got drunk and forgot all about it and started socializing
Minus the suicidal and homicidal part.
06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box
when i'm sad it makes me feel worse if i'm feeling lonely, but it makes me feel better when i'm with supportive family or close friends.
technically, chemically, it has a lot of different impacts on neurotransmitters, which results in a multifaceted effect. if i remember right (i had to memorize this for a class, lol), alcohol is a: GABA agonist - "slows down" person and makes them feel more relaxed and less inhibited ; glutamate antagonist - additional physical relaxation, slurred speech ; serotonin & endorphin agonist - makes you feel good, similar to when you've just worked out ; dopamine agonist - stimulation and sense of reward increased.
Alcohol is a dimmer. It dulls the senses. It usually alleviates stress and anxiety. THe only reason I could see it making someone MORE anxious is as follows
1) It simply affects your chemicals differently than others. I've seen this with many pills. 90% of the population can pop a loritab and become woozy, fall asleep. The other 10% gets wired.
2) It's a drastic step from your normal state of being. I get this with weed. Because I am kinda hyper-alert, very active and self aware, smoking pot takes me far from my natural state. I'm just not all that mellow-easy-breezy. So initially when I smoke pot, it takes me to such a different energy level that it kinda freaks me. A bit of time can help me adjust though. Could be the same with alcohol for you, especially because its a dimmer and your probably used to that cracked out NE mode.
3) Your repressing something. Alcohol is a fantastic way to be less inhibited and loosen up. BUt if you a big underlying problem or stress.. it can definately bring that up to the forefront.
Or it could be none of these =D
Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts
I agree(ish) in that alcohol has a better chance of making me happy. Weed makes me "normal". So if i'm already normal it does nothing, if i'm past normal in any way, it makes me normal again.
Different drugs affect different people different ways; based on the experiences of the times in which weed did not exacerbate my OCD, I would not dis-recommend (if that's even a word) people try it (if they are prepared to deal with the unfortunate legal risks), its just not for me. The same with alcohol (except that's a drug that IS for me, of course). And as always, don't go overboard (which is a higher risk with alcohol than with weed).
I've heard that 'alcohol accentuates what you're feeling before you drink' claim, but it really doesn't seem to work like that for me. Typically it makes my mood both calmer and more positive, regardless of what I'm feeling before. I've had a few drunken crying spells in my life, but for the most part I'm a very placid and content drunk.
Weed did make me anxious though, the few times I tried it. Plus I experienced depersonalization and derealization with it. I'll stick to the booze myself.
Alcohol has never made me anxious. I either get happy and cuddly or just fall asleep.
But I know alcohol is considered a depressant so maybe it's a bit like roulette whether it's going to depress good feelings or bad feelings. You never know which one it'll be until you're already there.