User Tag List

Thread: nosce te ipsum

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default nosce te ipsum

'Know Thyself'. This is my motto. Unfortunately I kind of suck at it. I'm constantly trying to shove myself in moulds that do not fit. I mystify myself on a regular basis. I often make big decisions on rational sounding pretenses that are actually only a pretext for some sort of subconscious agenda.

How about you? Do you know yourself? Do you try? Is it hard?

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I love that phrase. I use it as a username in places where it isn’t someone’s first impression of me, like Skype or such. I thought about using it here, but it just seems kind of pretentious or something.

Anyway, Thales (a presocratic philosopher, 600 BCish) was asked “What’s the most difficult thing a person can possibly do?” To which he replied, “To know oneself.” When asked about the easiest possible thing a person can do, he answered, “To give someone else advice.” That’s one of my favorite quotes. And sometimes it truly amazes me that in over 2000 years- with all the advances we’ve made in science (going from arguing for centuries about which of the four elements- water, fire, air or earth- ‘life’ is made of to walking on the moon and creating living clones)- we still haven’t come very far in ‘knowing ourselves’.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    'Know Thyself'. This is my motto. Unfortunately I kind of suck at it. I'm constantly trying to shove myself in moulds that do not fit. I mystify myself on a regular basis. I often make big decisions on rational sounding pretenses that are actually only a pretext for some sort of subconscious agenda.

How about you? Do you know yourself? Do you try? Is it hard?
    I'm getting there. I definitely know more about myself now than I did ten years ago. It can be hard to really know yourself when circumstances such as work and family life pressure you to be something you're not. I think now I'm in better touch with what I *really* want for myself rather than what I *think* I want or what I *should* want. I'm still learning though. My confusion about my type may lead you to believe that I'm not very self-aware when it's more a case that I'm had some realizations about myself that have come up to the surface when before they were just lurking deep down in the subconscious.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I do know myself. I know myself very well. I know myself to be the best me the me I am can be. I am the me I am as much as I can possible be myself. There is no better me than I am myself. You may believe you know the me I am myself, but I know the me I am myself better than you could ever know the me I am myself. Even if the me I am was to explain who the me I am myself really is to someone like you. I could never word the truth about the who I am as well as I truely know myself to be me.

What about you?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I do know myself. I know myself very well. I know myself to be the best me the me I am can be. I am the me I am as much as I can possible be myself. There is no better me than I am myself. You may believe you know the me I am myself, but I know the me I am myself better than you could ever know the me I am myself. Even if the me I am was to explain who the me I am myself really is to someone like you. I could never word the truth about the who I am as well as I truely know myself to be me.

What about you?
    Then again, you know yourself mostly from your own perspective
    I think few things teach us as much about ourselves as interacting with other people. In fact, if we weren't social beings, what would even be the point of asking 'who we are'?
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-