User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I don't see humility very much promoted among generation Y, even a false one. If anything I often see certain forms of narcissicism and overflated egos.
    True that for sure.

To be honest I would say the values of generation Y are those which are implicit in Elfboy's critique of the supposed values of generation Y which are in some shape more perrenial things or at least related to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    You really think Generation Y is humble? Like.. really? If anything, it's gearing toward exactly the opposite. And also everything else that's wrong with everything you said
    I think he has humility confused with a lack of confidence, ironically the confidence of narcissism, which Peguy mentioned, is a false confidence.

Although isnt this likely to be another one of Elf Boy's cartoonish "I'm a narcissist threads"?

Sniffles

As far as equality(or levelling) goes, that's kinda been the rallying cry for a few generations now. Even Tocqueville noted that Americans tended to prefer equality to freedom, and this was in the 1840s he was writing.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    You really think Generation Y is humble? Like.. really? If anything, it's gearing toward exactly the opposite. And also everything else that's wrong with everything you said
    Yeah... was sort of thinking that if anything, Gen Y seems to have more of an entitlement complex?

(Or.. I'm beginning the descent into crotchity old woman status, lol, and ALL youth have this, no matter what the generation)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Yeah... was sort of thinking that if anything, Gen Y seems to have more of an entitlement complex?

(Or.. I'm beginning the descent into crotchity old woman status, lol, and ALL youth have this, no matter what the generation)
    No...no they really do. I'm a member of Gen Y myself and I want to strangle most of my Gen Y tenants half the time

ETA: Of course, it is also likely this is just common amongst youth. Gawsh, I'm 27 and I might as well be 47
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Eh. Most of my generation has never had to work for anything growing up like the youngins in the previous generations did. Myself included. I think working gave previous generations (rightfully so) the idea that they had to work for what they got. We never got that lesson.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    I think, technically, he could be generation Z
    Are those the ones who do everything one-handed, because they can't put down their cell phones for five fucking minutes?

.....I'm already an old man at 33.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I don't see humility very much promoted among generation Y, even a false one. If anything I often see certain forms of narcissicism and overflated egos.
    I agree with this. As worded, the OP makes gen.Y seem as if they haven't experienced any real hardships beyond the false ones of our consumerist culture. Because they haven't.

When they figure out that their acquisitive lives are false, they'll probably believe that the realization is revolutionary and their own invention.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Well it comes with the idea that everyone else is getting this, so I want it too. The same reason everyone wants everything right? :P

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Are those the ones who do everything one-handed, because they can't put down their cell phones for five fucking minutes?

.....I'm already an old man at 33.
    My experience too!!

Glad to know I'm not alone in that respect too.