User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Default Things you never thought about until someone pointed them out!

I can be very detail-oriented, but sometimes I am startled by a decided lack of thinking about the details of things around me. Taking certain things for granted, somehow?

For example, yesterday I learned that the AMC TV channel stands for "American Movie Classics." I told my son that they were running a Matrix marathon, and mentioned they have lots of movies on that channel. To which he replied, "Well, that would make sense since their name stands for a Movie channel, Mom." I had previously not contemplated what "AMC" stood for. Never even crossed my mind.

Here's another example: I have watched the movie "Home Alone" quite a few times around each holiday season. In the scene with John Candy, he calls their midwest polka band the "Kenosha Kickers". It only just dawned on me last week that I live close to Kenosha - it is a real city and well-known to the whole Chicago to Milwaukee area. (That one though I think I can be forgiven for because I only moved here a year and a half ago. But before this, I had no clue that Kenosha was a place and wasn't curious enough to research that name!)

What things do you obliviously take for granted in your every-day life until someone points out what they mean? And do you wonder why you never wondered about it before?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Oh this is just too good...

Kenosha is where the main AMC (American Motors Corporation) assembly plant was.

I can hear your mind exploding from here.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hehe, what didn't people point out to me?

Seriously, if it wasn't for other people pointing things out to me, I would currently believe I am alone on this planet.

"Hey, I'm here too. Hellooohoooo?"
    "Huh, what? Oh? Hello? What?"
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Streets running north to south have odd numbers on the west side and even, on the east side of the street.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

When i was about 6 years old i thought coins were more valuable than bills so I had the awesome idea of trading with a girl a R$ 5 bill for a 5 cents coin.
    Made sense at the time. Coins don't rip, don't burn, weight more, probably costs more to produce; that means they must have more worth, right?
    I still remember the girl laughing hysterically and advertising the fact. Looked like a witch.
    Then i went to buy my snack and the seller said it wasn't enough. That's when i realized i screwed up big time. Back home, my ESTJ father asked for the change and I couldn't admit that I did this stupidity. I don't know what he concluded but he wasn't happy.
    I blame him for not having teached me how to count money.
    Last edited by Rasofy; 05-19-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: gram, again
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

A friend who grew up in Chicago was in utter awe when we drove past some mountains in California. He made me realize that mountains and beaches are awesome. Having grown up in Los Angeles, 15 mins away from the beach and mountains, I took these things for granted had a "Meh whatever" attitude about them before that.

"You stress too much." O.o....

I think it has been so natural that, well, I just don't think that I am stressing out about something at all... until I have been told by quite a few people I have been stressing out too easily.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

That all the other kids in school didn't pull up their athletic socks when wearing shorts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Kenosha is where the main AMC (American Motors Corporation) assembly plant was.

I can hear your mind exploding from here.
    hilarious coincidence there!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Hehe, what didn't people point out to me?

Seriously, if it wasn't for other people pointing things out to me, I would currently believe I am alone on this planet.

"Hey, I'm here too. Hellooohoooo?"
    "Huh, what? Oh? Hello? What?"
    Aww for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Streets running north to south have odd numbers on the west side and even, on the east side of the street.
    Really? (Joking, I'm joking!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    When i was about 6 years old i thought coins were more valuable than bills so I had the awesome idea of trading with a girl a R$ 5 bill for a 5 cents coin.
    Made sense at the time. Coins don't rip, don't burn, weight more, probably costs more to produce; that means they must have more worth, right?
    That was very logical of you, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    A friend who grew up in Chicago was in utter awe when we drove past some big mountains in California. He made me realize that mountains and beaches are awesome. Having grown up in Los Angeles, 15 mins away from the beach and mountains, I took these things for granted had a "Meh whatever" attitude about them before that.
    Yes, don't we all take for granted our default settings? I grew up on a farm and when I moved away from home to university in the "big city" all the knowledge I took for granted on the farm was quite the commodity of curiosity for my new friends. They marveled that I had delivered baby lambs in spring-time, and spent the summers doing hay, and didn't believe me when I told them that cows do have horns too, not just bulls. Makes you look at that stuff with fresh eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    "You stress too much." O.o....

I think it has been so natural that, well, I just don't think that I am stressing out about something at all... until I have been told by quite a few people I have been stressing out too easily.
    Aww

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That all the other kids in school didn't pull up their athletic socks when wearing shorts.
    Double aww ... didn't anyone ever tell you? Kids can be.. so.. cruel!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Seeing the childhood stories reminds me I have a few of those too...

I'll share one - when I was 4 or 5, I believed that if you couldn't see someone, that they couldn't see you. More specifically, I had calculated that if they were looking forward towards me, and I was looking towards them, that there was no place within my direct or peripheral vision that they could be that I couldn't see them. (I did realize they could be behind me of course!) But, I really believed that if I couldn't see them, I would be invisible to them too. I believe my Dad educated me on reality for that one.

*sigh* I wasn't the hide & seek champion.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching