• I would rather be liked

6 19.35%
  • I would rather be respected

21 67.74%
  • no preference

4 12.90%
First 1234 Last

Acclaimed.

You know, after a bit of consideration here…I actually think I am going to vote ‘liked’.

My first inclination was to select ‘respect’…as in ‘I admire you for this characteristic and/or that achievement and subsequently will treat you in this way’. But then I was thinking of myself in old age. And I was questioning…will I really need to be admired? Or will I just want a few loved ones around me who just really enjoy me for me.

To be honest I am a bit tired of trying to be respected as I can’t seem to find a way to please all of the people all of the time. I’m thinking I just want to be enjoyed as a human-being with all my quirks and failures.

violaine

Respected.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I want to be respected for how likable I am

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    You know, after a bit of consideration here…I actually think I am going to vote ‘liked’.

My first inclination was to select ‘respect’…as in ‘I admire you for this characteristic and/or that achievement and subsequently will treat you in this way’. But then I was thinking of myself in old age. And I was questioning…will I really need to be admired? Or will I just want a few loved ones around me who just really enjoy me for me.

To be honest I am a bit tired of trying to be respected as I can’t seem to find a way to please all of the people all of the time. I’m thinking I just want to be enjoyed as a human-being with all my quirks and failures.

i want the people i respect to like me.

everybody else, i'd prefer to respect me, but i don't really care about them.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

First I want to be respected. After that I'll be definately liked as well. I'm a likeable person, once you respect me.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    The question is, can you truely like someone who you don't respect in some way at least?
    Yeah, this was one of my initial thoughts. If I don't respect someone, I won't like them either. If I like them, I will respect them - I mean, I have to respect someone to actually like them (so does that mean Respect comes first?). I guess a third option would be indifference, where I don't actively dislike or like them - I either don't know what I think of them yet, or they're fine, I just don't necessarily want to invest anything with them because there's not enough to build on.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    nnnn

Trying to find a way to merge both. Maybe I associate respect too much with something like distance or people fearing you. Or competence.

I feel belittled/disrespected easily when I'm open to others about doubts and questions (which helps tremendously with being liked) and they react by for example...trying to solve the problem for me (taking the problem away from me) or getting all protective, or lecturing me. I'm vulnerable and strong.

I've become pretty assertive about demanding respect and respectful treatment of me as a person (different from competence, I suppose). It really does get you respect.

Respected which includes self-respect. When you're busy working towards crowd appeal, it's too easy to lose yourself.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

In my experience the two tend to go together, although if I had to make a choice I would say that I would prefer to be respected than liked.

For instance I know plenty of people who like people purely because they think of them as a useful idiot a buffer between them and others, a go between, a source of information either wittingly or unwittingly, in short they like them because they can use them, and that is a whole different story to respecting someone. Its never been that important to me to be liked and I've heard it said a lot of times as "the very least" that you can say that is positive about someone, for instance "I liked them/they were likeable but...".