User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    My own mind seems straightforward to me, but it does branch off in a lot of directions and I have conflicted feelings about many things, so I guess I'd say complex. Maybe complex in spots and simple in other ones. I don't think I give off a lot of mixed messages (simple) and I'm pretty transparent. However, I tend to become more and more candid the more comfortable and sure of myself I am. Different people also bring out different facets of me. Both of these may be perceived as making me more complex than I really am.

I'm not sure how people perceive me. I think it would really depend who you talk to. Some would say very simple, but others would say very complex. Depends I guess how well they know me and what particular part of me they know. I do know that I often am concerned about things that most people are not and they tell me I overthink it. Then all the stuff I talked to them about ends up happening...I think maybe some people see me at negative or pessimistic for that reason, even though I think it allows me to become less jaded than them because I'm not unpleasantly surprised all the time. It's not too hard to figure out how to make me happy though and I am easily made happy by simple things. Sometimes my thoughts are complex enough that I find them hard to simplify to a point where I can give people a quick thumbnail sketch of them. I can't sort out the details from the main points because they all seem important and I don't want to leave anything out and then I keep encompassing more and more within the thought. That's probably Ti complicated by Ni.

I've tried to learn to simplify how I express myself so that I don't bore other people with stuff they aren't interested in particularly or so that I don't make them feel like I'm being a downer to them. I don't usually tell them that much of what I'm thinking about unless there are clear signs that they care to know and are safe to do that with. Probably for that reason a lot of people think they know me when they don't, or just relegate me to being blandly nice. I like to give people a fair chance and to collect information so I don't generally directly oppose something they say until I am very comfortable around them and know them well enough to predict their reaction. This probably leads them to assume that I am just like them, or that I am more agreeable/maleable than I actually am.

If I'm interested in something particularly (mostly human systems), I think I become more complex when discussing those issues because my thoughts are more detailed and synthesized with many other influences and analysese. For stuff I'm not as informed on or don't care about, I'm pretty simple.
    I relate to most of what Fidelia said so I've copied it!

I guess I am complex. I feel that way inside, with thoughts racing and branching off all over the place. I think Ni can be pretty complex and I perceive things symbolically in a way many don't. I don't always understand straightforward things staring me in the face but I can often intuit a universe from a grain of sand. I also don't always understand my own reactions, though I can predict them much better than I used to be able to. So it may be too much to expect others to understand, as much as it hurts when they don't...

I'm not sure how others perceive me. Almost everyone only sees one or two or three parts of the whole. Some just see me as laidback and even a bit bland. Others get glimpses of the passions, but think they are mainly intellectual (some of them are, but not all or even most). Others see me as a worrier... It all depends how close you are to me and in what context we've interacted.

I think some people are blindsided by how I can be highly emotional and highly logical at the same time. I think it's somewhat uncommon to be able to describe your emotional states, even great turmoil and anguish, in an almost coldly logical way. I can do that, at least when I've acquired a bit of distance from the emotional turmoil, and I think it confuses people as to whether I'm more logical or emotional. I am both, but really more emotional, I think. They do not rule each other out!

Sometimes even people I've known for years have kind of boggled at me when I'm really upset about something and said "wow...I didn't know this sort of thing hit you so hard." I find it strange that they could not know, as I've probably told them that I've really suffered over things in the past. Maybe they have to see it for themselves before it makes any sense.

I can't decide whether everyone is fundamentally complex, or if some are simple and some are complex. A lot of people are definitely much more straightforward. Some people seem simple and straightforward and I have a hard time believe they're anything else. But in many cases people have parts of their personality that seldom come to light so I could be seeing a small part of the whole - as many do with me.

I certainly agree with Fidelia that simple things make me happy. Listening to me babble about things I care about; letting me know you're thinking of me or want to spend time with me; telling me you appreciate me, though I might seem a bit embarrassed by it; giving me a little gift that shows you know what I like; all those sorts of things. Most of all, making an effort to understand me. But perhaps that is a complex thing, not a simple thing.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Is there any sane person in the world who does NOT see himself as incredibly complex? Except for those who say otherwise to be individuals, I mean.

On second thought: deep down, even the biggest simpleton thinks he's something special. I think really complex people realize how identical they are to the millions of people who deal with the same type of shit, so they tend to say they're simple.

Surface simplicity, inner complexity. I view myself as simple but how I got to that was complex. The best things are simple on the surface and complex inside. Like an instant camera. Others see me as simple too, though I have a complex way of jumping around topics in speech they say. Emotionally I am pretty simple, annoying things annoy me, good things make me happy.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    On second thought: deep down, even the biggest simpleton thinks he's something special.
    Not really.

I think really complex people realize how identical they are to the millions of people who deal with the same type of shit, so they tend to say they're simple.
    Why does it take a complex person to realize you're the same as everyone else around you? I don't have to have some deep thought process to search for inner meaning to realize that there is nothing remarkable about me or my life.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

figsfiggyfigs

Complex... This is how people generally see me as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm an intuitive, so I'm complex.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Is there any sane person in the world who does NOT see himself as incredibly complex? Except for those who say otherwise to be individuals, I mean.

On second thought: deep down, even the biggest simpleton thinks he's something special. I think really complex people realize how identical they are to the millions of people who deal with the same type of shit, so they tend to say they're simple.
    I'm not sure that this is thinking of the question of the OP. The way it's presented, being "complex" could be portrayed as being a bad thing. Someone who can't seem to simplify their wants and their lives may have trouble coping. She's not talking about thoughts and depth as much as she's talking about how straight forward you are with your wants and needs.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My answer wasn't based on what she made up.
    Inner turmoil and conflict is not the meaning of the word, complex.

Defining cat as broccoli doesn't sit well with me.
    Haha, true
    Well, it wasn't exactly as opposite of cat and broccoli, but rereading it, it wasn't exactly what I was originally thinking when I thought of "complex". What she's asking is hard to define, anyway. Simple and complex are probably the easiest single words to put to the definitions. We could have asked "broken" or "whole", maybe? Ugh, that's not right either.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Not really.
    Mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Why does it take a complex person to realize you're the same as everyone else around you? I don't have to have some deep thought process to search for inner meaning to realize that there is nothing remarkable about me or my life.
    Realizing "you're the same as everyone else around you" requires empathy. Recognizing (not only with your rational mind) that there are thousands of whole worlds with a personal history of disasters and accomplishments walking by on a daily basis is harder than you think. Empathy requires self-reflection, and I call people who are capable of deep self-reflection "complex".

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Haha, true
    Well, it wasn't exactly as opposite of cat and broccoli, but rereading it, it wasn't exactly what I was originally thinking when I thought of "complex". What she's asking is hard to define, anyway. Simple and complex are probably the easiest single words to put to the definitions. We could have asked "broken" or "whole", maybe? Ugh, that's not right either.
    Both of you are making erroneous assumptions. A straw man to knock down. The only definition provided was for "simple".

It's like the argument:

Fish = aquatic animal
    Whale = aquatic animal

hence

Fish = whale

Not.

Define complex as you see fit.