User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default What has drawn strong I's out of their shell enough to join a community such as this

As a strong introvert I personally have difficulty in exploring deep aspects of myself in a relatively public manner such as this forum, although the anonymity of place such as this certainly helps. Face-to-face, there is no way i could do this.

By its very nature it would seem this activity is somewhat extrovert to a small degree, although i admit i have little knowledge of the nuances of E/I and related factors to make such an assumption.

Personally I am here as a result of a recent state of emotional chaos which led me to finally seek some information and insight into why I relate to the world and other people as I do. Expressing myself in such a public manner is very much out of my comfort zone, but I am currently making a determined effort to step beyond my normal limits in order to seek further understanding. I honestly cannot say how long i am going to be able to maintain this state, so it would be useful for me to ask such questions before i have the overwhelming urge to go hide in a cave again

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

The majority of people I've met here have been in flux in some way when they came - either they are young and are facing changes in relationships/family/employment/school/location and want some companionship or answers, they are adults who are rethinking their current situation, they are isolated in some way and need more companionship, or they have gone through a recent change or loss and are trying to establish a new life. I came here because I better wanted to understand my ex-bf's behaviour and I also was living in a community that was very isolated at the time. Then I enjoyed what I had learned and also became part of the community. It served as a way to stretch my social comfort levels as well (approaching people first, expressing my thoughts more boldly, learning not to take certain reactions personally) and I found it very useful to observe a number of exchanges that you would not normally be privy to in real life and learn from them. This is a sped up version of real life, often covering topics with a wide variety of people which you would not explore in the real world until you have invested a lot of time into the relationship. I've found it interesting to observe cultural and personality trends in a way that I otherwise couldn't have and take that information into my real life interactions. It has helped me understand some of the underlying thought patterns or reasoning for some types that I find less easy to relate to because we think very differently.

Banned

Because you can turn it off.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I remember a similiar thread like this some years ago and I remember an intp saying "I came here to mate". That response was priceless
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

your resident asshole

I've never felt anxious or anything about joining an online forum. Facebook is another story, but here I'm anonymous and free to do whatever I want. I could even start trolling and spamming the forums like crazy and it wouldn't bother me what other people thought. The only problem with that is I'd get banned and I actually like this site.

Plus, trolling can be kind of difficult. Some websites have a zero-tolerance for it and will ban at the first scent of a troll. People's reactions are usually awesome, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I was just interested in the discussions on typology to begin with. It's a bit of a hobby. Then I found there are some pretty great people here.

Also, relative anonymity doesn't hurt.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I came here because my life was a mess. My ex had cheated and dumped me, then my family was moved to a small isolated town. I was going through some major depression and needed to be able to do something about it. This site itself has been one of the many keys that has changed me as a person. I'm completely different now than I was 2 years ago when I first joined the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Smile Sloughing off introversion and extroversion as a snake sheds its skin.

Print created the introvert.

We read books alone, we don't read them aloud and share them. Yes, it is the printed book that created the individual.

Whereas it is the electronic media, such as Central, that re-creates the tribal village. And we all belong to the tribe of Typology Central.

Have you noticed it is warm and cosy in here? Our little song is, the world's made rosy, the world's made cosy, by togetherness.

As we enter the portal of Central we slough off introversion and we even shed our individuality, but interestingly we don't become extroverts, instead we join the tribal village.

So when we talk of introversion and extroversion, we are driving forward looking in the rear vision mirror, as the tribal village is rushing towards us through the windshield.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I came here to be entertained. I had been told about a poster whose comments were over the top sarcastic and I thought that would amuse me. I have not been disappointed.
    But I also learned, by being part of this forum, that I am not an introvert, as I previously had believed.
    I am an adult (the mature part is debatable, probably) who is in the process of exploring a career change after my journalism career died very suddenly. Being part of this forum helps me to know that there are others whose lives are in the process of changing.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Wow thanks, very interesting. I shall try to persevere ... I often find myself going into "lurk" mode on forums as i find myself out of depth or otherwise disconnected from the conversations. However from what i can see so far, this is one forum where such tendencies would probably be understood, as people are here because they are interested in what makes themselves and others actually tick.