User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I'm naturally a silly person, but I wonder if this is because I can see the darker side of life at times.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

It's because interesting "in-depth" discussions usually require some specialized knowledge (beyond being N...hopefully that delusion is broken now), and when you get a bunch of tards posting their crude opinions, it's sort of disheartening. Thus the only things left to do are either (1) restrict yourself to fluff, or (2) bombard the forum with your own crude opinions.

Though I will say that the heated debate topics do get a good amount of attention; they just don't last long and they don't get revisited. And they're sort of intimidating, so not everyone feels welcome to contribute. They're like a flash fire, whereas the fluff topics are like a chimney fire that everyone keeps stoking because it's easy and small.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ----

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Also, a lot of serious discussion centers around topics that can easily become heated and hostile, which I try to avoid.
    Yeah, I've learned the same thing.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Sometimes I feel like when I get caught up in something controversial, I want to come to an agreement, explore a lot of options, or completely overrule/ silence the discussion. I know these goals are completely unnecessary, (especially when there are real life goals that matter.) It's just a mental thing. This usually requires a certain time commitment, it's hard to want to walk away from the computer. It's like a war. Or World of Warcraft. Or a real life argument. Or Sims. You develop some kind of mental devotion to it. It's easier to just stay out of it half the time. It's awkward when I'm in the middle of something here and then I go to spin class or get a phone call or something. Fluff and blogs don't require this commitment.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    You develop some kind of mental devotion to it. It's easier to just stay out of it half the time.
    So 'friends don't let friends argue on the internet'?
    Last edited by Octarine; 04-23-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: I hope people understand the reference.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

There has been some fresh discussion about the fluff ratio in this thread:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=49975

Does anyone have any fresh thoughts?

Internet forums are always going to be social outlets and thus Facebook like popularity contests are always going to be present. On the other hand, the self selection factors that filter who is likely to post here means that the quality and nature of the discussion doesn't have to be the same as elsewhere, though it is trending that way.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    There has been some fresh discussion about the fluff ratio in this thread:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=49975

Does anyone have any fresh thoughts?

Internet forums are always going to be social outlets and thus Facebook like popularity contests are always going to be present. On the other hand, the self selection factors that filter who is likely to post here means that the quality and nature of the discussion doesn't have to be the same as elsewhere, though it is trending that way.
    things I noticed on here, irritates the hell out of me. on stuff like the islamphobe thread. no one really goes in depth why they dont like some people or are not clear. there are no examples. when it comes to any taboo, people falter and talk only about the shadow but no one ever makes mention on the big fat pink elephant out of fear. I say let the ugly out, lets not talk about the nice things or downplay things lesser to what they are and package them into convenient little doily packages to not offend the delicate sense of readers. state you claim as well state some reasons and then dissect. bring an open mind as well

none of this watered down crap.
    9w?

MBTI
    ENTP

Being that I never posted on other types of forums to the extent that I've posted on MBTI related forum, I'm not sure whether this concept of Fluff posting is something exclusive to these types of forums, or is a general policy shared with most internet boards. Either way, I find the criteria of what constitutes fluff both vague and subjective, and see it as this sort of intangible, indescribable that has this negative connotation and everyone unanimously looks upon with disdain, yet we all dabble in it from time to time whether it be unknowingly or intentionally.

Personally, I don't see fluff is some absolute negative; I'd rather have good fluff than mediocre 'signal'. But that's not to say I don't think there needs to be some sort of standard needs to exist, but even with that I see that standard as mostly being arbitrary. More so I just think there needs to be a more of a balance. There's time when I see an abundance of 'fluffy' threads that I have no interest in participating in and I just sort of tune out from the site for a while, whereas other days the scales are tipped heavily on the other side and even that can fail to hold my interest at times.

I guess more or less I just don't like the idea of deterring conversation, or having the forum operate in such a way that feels overly rigid and structured and posters, at which conversations would appear contrived.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

continuous string threads of fluff is killer
    9w?