User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Default Attention all mamas! Help me with my teething baby.

My 4 month old is teething, and he is driving me crazy. I bought him some teething rings and some sort of weird teething tablets that dissolve in his mouth, but he just won't stop crying, i've been holding him for what seems like 24 hours now. He wouldn't even go to sleep last night, unless he was being held. I'm worried that i'm not soothing his pain well enough. He is covering all of my shirts in drool and is grabbing my fingers and putting him in his mouth and gnawing on them.

I can tell he is in pain and i'm sad that i can't do much about it. Any advice?
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I was watching an episode of The Golden Girls, and they said something about rubbing wine on their gums while they're teething.

But I have yet to be a mother, and I don't know if I ever will be...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Poor little guy (and mama). Teething sucks! We used to freeze a wet washcloth and let the baby work on it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Not fun for either of you.. here's what I did

partially freeze the gel teething ring
    massage gums
    clove drops or orajel (sparingly and if not allergic..use your finger to rum them on)
    teething bisquits
    refrigerated apple wedges (you hold it)
    anything cold really that they can "gum" but not too soft at that age... unless doing some mild solids.. mine did at 4 months.
    Last resort: infant tylenol drops
    tranquilizers for you
    hope that helps

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'd probably give him some Motrin or Tylenol and rub some baby Orajel on his gums. Just rubbing the gums with your finger sometimes helps. to both of you. Teething is no fun.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    My 4 month old is teething, and he is driving me crazy. I bought him some teething rings and some sort of weird teething tablets that dissolve in his mouth, but he just won't stop crying, i've been holding him for what seems like 24 hours now. He wouldn't even go to sleep last night, unless he was being held. I'm worried that i'm not soothing his pain well enough. He is covering all of my shirts in drool and is grabbing my fingers and putting him in his mouth and gnawing on them.

I can tell he is in pain and i'm sad that i can't do much about it. Any advice?
    Aw. Poor baby. And poor tired mama.

Have you tried letting him gnaw on a small washcloth wet with cold water?

He might have an earache, too.
    It's possible some antihistamine/decongestant would help but I forget how much and what kind is safe for babies. Definitely ask your doctor's office.

I have heard that using a product like Oragel is bad because it hardens the gums, but when you're desperate, it's worth having some relief.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/common/teething.html

Here are some tips to keep in mind when your baby is teething:
    • Wipe your baby's face often with a cloth to remove the drool and prevent rashes from developing.
    • Give your baby something to chew on. Make sure it's big enough so that he or she can't swallow it and that it can't break into small pieces. A wet washcloth placed in the freezer for 30 minutes makes a handy teething aid - just be sure to wash it after each use. Rubber teething rings are also good, but avoid the ones with liquid inside because they may break. If you use a teething ring, be sure to take it out of the freezer before it becomes rock hard - you don't want to bruise those already swollen gums!
    • Rub your baby's gums with a clean finger.
    • Never tie a teething ring around a baby's neck, as it could get caught on something and strangle the baby.
    • If your baby seems irritable, acetaminophen may help - but always consult your child's doctor first. Never place an aspirin against the tooth, and don't rub whiskey on your baby's gums.

Teething Tots

MBTI
    INTJ

Default http://www.babycenter.com/0_teething_11243.bc?articleId=11243&page=2

What can I do to ease my baby's discomfort?
    Give your child something to chew on, such as a firm rubber teething ring or a cold washcloth. If your baby is old enough to eat solids, he may also get some relief from cold foods such as applesauce or yogurt. Giving him a hard, unsweetened teething cracker such as zwieback to gnaw on is another time-honored trick. (Avoid carrots, as they can be a choking hazard.) Simply rubbing a clean finger gently but firmly over your baby's sore gums can ease the pain temporarily, too.

If these methods aren't working, some doctors recommend giving a teething baby a small dose of children's pain reliever such as infants' acetaminophen

Teething - BabyCenter

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I'll try all of these things. I don't actually have any baby tylenol, but i'll get my boyfriend to bring home some from work. He just now finally decided to take a nap, so i'm getting a little bit of a break. I just put wash cloth in the freezer so that he can go at that when he wakes up. Thank you all for your suggestions i appreciate them!
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default http://www.chiff.com/health/teething-pain.htm

Years ago, mothers simply made a cold rag available for their babies to chew on and so relieve common teething pain. Today, there are a variety of specially-made teething rings which can be cooled in the fridge. (Smart moms will also have a few extra rings chilled and ready for whenever baby begins to fuss.)

Cold soft foods such as apple sauce, bananas or yogurt will also help sooth a teething baby during the day. Also ask your doctor about administering infant formula pain relievers, or pain-numbing gels applied to the gums, to help baby sleep through the night.

Teething Symptoms, Remedies & Medications