User Tag List

123 Last

Default Cosmetic Surgery Concerns

Anyone else have concerns about cosmetic surgery, in that it's the gift that keeps on giving to that particular industry?

Adults are fair game for them, since they're responsible for themselves. But not only has this industry targeted adults, it's worked its way into teenage girls with rhinoplasty and breast enhancements and in another thread, are now targeting little girls using guilt on parents, that if they don't "fix" their children, they're leaving them open to bullying.

To me this smacks of serious inethical and predatory business practices. Everything is legal but this is going too far. Leave the teenagers and children alone.

This commercial free, non-profit broadcast has been brought to you by Fi.

figsfiggyfigs

I was watching a documentary about Botox/Filler injections. It's insane how addicted some people get, and some how drag their teenage kids into it; convincing them that it is the better thing to do. Its horrible.

If my child was seriously disfigured, I'd be completely for surgery. If it was something they can outgrow, or easily hide, then no, I would not be for it.

Parental insecurities and self-esteem issues should not be the child's responsibility.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 04-16-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: ediiitt

Glycerine

yes and it's supposedly much worse in South Korea. It's societal pressure to get your eyelids done.We can't escape it... it's the monster that keeps on giving.

MBTI
    IsFJ

In some places, this kind of surgery on children has a pretty long history - it's not just something recent in the Western world. According to Wikipedia, female genital cutting (FGC) is tradionally done in girls from four to six years old. You can read more about it here.

In any case, it's nothing new, but the potential long-term psychological and biological problems worry me...

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'll only do it if I or my child was severely disfigured. Like recently I saw on 20/20 (or at least I think it was 20/20...), that this young boy in Afghanistan kicked a faulty hand bomb and it exploded. I believe he lost his arm and leg and his face ended up a bit deformed. He luckily was able to get free plastic surgery in the states to somewhat reconstruct what he used to look like. It was very heart warming when his mother started crying after his facial surgery since he was beginning to look a bit like his old self. They gave him one of those new tech. legs too :P

But for dumb reasons like breast implants... Nope. Unless it was a breast reduction. I have large boobs and I may end up doing that after I have kids since I'm afraid they won't shrink in size. And I wouldn't mind being two cup sizes smaller. I'm only 21 and I already have some back pains :/
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    yes and it's supposedly much worse in South Korea. It's societal pressure to get your eyelids done.We can't escape it... it's the monster that keeps on giving.
    Yea. I had an old friend who would tell me that people said he should get the double eyelid surgery. I thought it was rather silly and I felt bad that he felt so insecure about his eyes.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTP

I do think it's getting crazy--though I saw a thing on the yahoo homepage the other day about a little girl getting her ears pinned back so she wouldn't be bullied, and I thought, "What a non-story." Kids have been getting their ears pinned back since the dawn of time. Your ears are 90% of the size they will be as an adult when you're a kid. It's not like they were getting a seven year old a nose job or botox or collagen-filled duck lips.

I'm torn about cosmetic surgery as a whole. It has legitimate uses, and I don't think anyone should have to live with a giant nose or uneven boobs or stick-out ears if they don't want the extra attention. But I don't like the extreme fear of aging that I'm seeing, sparked by almost every actress in Hollywood. We'd rather embrace a non-human look, than face the aging process.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Live comfortably, however that may be

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

To be honest, I'd change some things about my looks if I had the money to have it done. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, you see, but I guess everyone is. Some perfectionists work out 24 hours a day to have that exact body they see walk down the runway, but I'd like to pay money to look the way I want to (what's the difference anyway?). First I'd have my stretchmarks removed, I read that costs 1200 euros (and I'm pretty serious about that one, I have some really good features that get totally ruined by those scars). I'd also change my behind (less serious about that, but I'd still like it), because it's way too tiny and I think that's just so unsexy, so maybe I'd have that done when I have 2000 more euros. The next thing I'd change would be my nose. Don't get me wrong, I get lots lots LOTS of compliments about it, but I hate the broad, nearly square tip of my nose and the fact that people can see my brains when they talk to me. It gives me a soft look and I hate looking soft. I'd have the tip of my nose made pointier and straighter, so I look like I have more authority. And of course, my chin is very asymmetrical, so I'd also have that done. Of course, it has to stay voluntary. I'll have to admit that I started using lots of moisturizers and avoiding the sun at age 15 or 16 when I noticed that my classmates where getting their first wrinkles.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The concept unsettles me. I know there's a gradient of difference between fixing a cleft palate and getting a boob job but to me at some point it changes from a good practice to a dubious one.

The idea of plastic surgery is antithetical to my values. I've found the most peace in my life by accepting things, including myself, as they are. Beauty to me always contains something unique, in physical beauty that usually means something that society considers unsightly. In that other plastic surgery article I was somewhat sad that girl lost her floppy ears, it means that there exists one less interesting thing in this world.

And then where does it go from there? People conforming their looks for easy living, then their actions, then their thoughts?