123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Default What would you consider "deep"?

So I was having an argument with myself awhile back over whether some songs could be considered "deep" or not, and I couldn't really come up with a good answer. Is something "deep" if it talks about emotions? Or if it has a layered meaning? Or is it even describable? And the truth is, I don't know. I can't know. At least not in a way that I can argue with someone why *this* is "deep" while *that* isn't. I'm just going to have to be subjective. So, I want your opinion.

What would you consider to be "deep"?

EDIT: I'm asking for your opinion in general, not just songs.

figsfiggyfigs

lol

ThatGirl

Songs that play on multiple dynamics, whether musically, lyrically, or both. Multi-dimensional.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Songs that play on multiple dynamics, whether musically, lyrically, or both. Multi-dimensional.
    Oh, I meant in general, not just songs.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

big meaning in little thing(s)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp

On a more serious note,(pun intended) to me,a song is "deep"if it evokes a response other than tapping my foot,or singing along in the car. Songs that I want to listen to with headphones on with my eyes closed. For example, The Beatles "Dear Prudence" or Blind Faith's "Can't find my way home". Songs that when they come on the radio I tell people around to be quiet so I can hear them. It is about you and your reaction to the song,and less about the actual song. It's all opinion.

it appears I missed the OP edit in time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Smile! Now!

Some people are like Slinkys.
    Useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

We are the music makers,and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

End of line.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    Oh, I meant in general, not just songs.
    Same idea applies to most things. I tend to view what is seen in one dimension as superficial because it only is true in one sense and that is as it pertains to that one specific thing at that one specific time.

Deeper things incorporate more than one dimension. They encompass multiple areas allowing for a deeper association, understanding, more worldly views, experiences, knowledge, or feelings.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think "depth" is more of an operational term than one that's really meaningful to me. It's used as the foundation for a hierarchy of aesthetic values; and I resent, in postmodern fashion, all attempts to hierarchy in aesthetic values.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Are thoughts and emotions the only things can can be deep (in this context). What other things could be deep?

When I think "deep" I think beyond the surface, not easily observable, greater meaning.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Are thoughts and emotions the only things can can be deep (in this context). What other things could be deep?

When I think "deep" I think beyond the surface, not easily observable, greater meaning.
    The mother in this tv show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting