User Tag List

View Poll Results: Replying to old threads. Yay or Nay?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

20 50.00%
  • I don't mind/indifferent

19 47.50%
  • Nay

1 2.50%
123 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Replying to old threads. Yay or Nay?

Do you like it when older and potentially interesting threads are replied too, bumping their position in the forum?

Is this preferable to a new thread on the topic?

Is it better not to re-discuss old issues at all?
    I know some 'veteran' members can get bored when they see the same topics being re-discussed ad nauseum. On some forums, bumping old threads is often considered a taboo.

In my opinion, forums can stagnate if older topics are not re-discussed, since it is these discussions that stimulates new members to join and potentially bring start new and novel topics of discussion.

How different should ones idea of a particular topic be to warrant a new discussion, versus taking an existing discussion on a new tangent?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't mind thread resurrection since it comes with everything that's been discussed before, limiting the amount of time that needs to be spent reiterating old, boring arguments. New threads about old topics are the ones that are annoying.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Plus something about nostalgia.

All Natural! All Good!

I'd rather people necro old threads than start a new thread about the same topic... especially for those topics that seem to get posted once a week.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

For those who think it is acceptable, why do you reply to old threads? Or conversely, why don't you regularly respond to an older thread that may be part of a discussion that is still of interest to you?

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    especially for those topics that seem to get posted once a week.
    Is it a good idea to remind such posters of the existence of older threads?

All Natural! All Good!

If I don't respond, it's usually because I forget which forum I'm on sometimes, or at least which rules we use here. I have other forums where the mods lock necro'd threads and send a 'warn' to the user that posted. O_o

I'd say yes, remind them, and also suggest the search function? I don't know. This reminds me of yet another forum I was on a while back, where one person would always post about the search function in HUGE FONT because people asked the same questions every day!
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

It depends.

Generally I like it. I just started really posting or using this forum a few months ago, so necro threads seem new to me. Of course, many topics seem to repeat, and I've seen the same topic on other forums sometimes.

This being said, I sometimes also like it if a new person states an old thing in a new way.

I guess, I like both.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I rarely respond to old threads because I try to read an entire thread before responding- and many of the older threads are way longer than I'm willing to read, so really, there's a much greater chance I'll actually respond to a new thread on an old topic than on an old thread. But being less likely to respond to them doesn't mean I won't find them interesting to read, so I like it when people link older threads which are relevant to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    I sometimes also like it if a new person states an old thing in a new way.
    Also, this^.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think necroing is kind of funny sometimes (like, "you were digging THAT far in the basement and found THAT? I wonder what else you found!") but not inherently bad.

The only thing I hate about necro theads is that when someone starts giving answers to or asking answers of a member who isn't even active on this forum anymore, or asks in-depth questions that just assume the writer remembers what they were thinking or that they even hold the same belief, if the original post was a few years ago. Check the timestamps.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I rarely respond to old threads because I try to read an entire thread before responding- and many of the older threads are way longer than I'm willing to read, so really, there's a much greater chance I'll actually respond to a new thread on an old topic than on an old thread. But being less likely to respond to them doesn't mean I won't find them interesting to read, so I like it when people link older threads which are relevant to the discussion.

And this ^

Even with some threads that are "new" I want to read them, but sometimes find it difficult to get through the length. Also, I've been craving reading blogs. I just don't have the kind of time to read 1000 posts. Yet, it's like I want to open communications, but they may have explained it in depth on page 71 of their blog, I feel it would seem superficial to be their true friend if I haven't caught up with them to that point.