User Tag List

View Poll Results: Replying to old threads. Yay or Nay?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

20 50.00%
  • I don't mind/indifferent

19 47.50%
  • Nay

1 2.50%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I don't mind, unless I have posted in those threads.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Do you like it when older and potentially interesting threads are replied too, bumping their position in the forum?
    Yes. It is strange to see that necroing a thread has a negative association. I'd rather have an old thread opened up than see a new thread with the same discussion starting all over again. Recycling can't be avoided I suppose, but if there's an old thread to quote from and possibly present new ideas or viewpoints, I welcome it.

I can understand why some might feel that re-discussing issues is a bad, bad thing. It might stir up troubles again that people hoped would be dead and buried. Tough luck, face your demons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    I don't mind, unless I have posted in those threads.
    I find it interesting. It might not be pleasant, but I think it might present an opportunity to re-evaluate one's stances and maybe learn something new.

MBTI
    yupp

it's not even about facing demons, about the fact that people are being attacked about things that are no longer relevant
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    it's not even about facing demons, about the fact that people are being attacked about things that are no longer relevant
    If you're under attack you're either above it or not and then it still is relevant. The past always resurfaces one way or another, it's up to you what you do with it when it does.

MBTI
    INTP

Why bring up the same shit in a totally new thread? Besides, if you bump old threads, I get to see long-dead members with interesting avatars, from time to time.

I say bump

Some of the most interesting topics on this site have been old ones since some of the best critical or creative thinkers have stopped posting regularly.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't mind specific threads being brought back from the dead--sometimes they're good threads! However, it's a wee bit annoying when a new member goes a'diggin' and you just see a big ole string of 50 necromanced threads, all with the last post by the same person. And usually they don't have anything significant to add. Just a string of "yeah, I hate it when that happens!" or some such.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Don't mind at all.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Some of the most interesting topics on this site have been old ones since some of the best critical or creative thinkers have stopped posting regularly.
    Do you have any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Also on other forums I have been at, it seems that that is bad forum manners.
    Well according to the poll, it isn't considered bad manners on this forum. Perhaps that is because there hasn't been any epidemics of thread necromancy?

Anyhow, now we know we can act accordingly..

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Do you like it when older and potentially interesting threads are replied too, bumping their position in the forum?
    Sure, why not?

Is it better not to re-discuss old issues at all?
    That's silly. It also sounds like a form of censorship.

I know some 'veteran' members can get bored when they see the same topics being re-discussed ad nauseum. On some forums, bumping old threads is often considered a taboo.
    I don't care about other forums or what is taboo.

In my opinion, forums can stagnate if older topics are not re-discussed, since it is these discussions that stimulates new members to join and potentially bring start new and novel topics of discussion.
    That's one way of looking at it. I bump them because they're relevant and can actually be used as a springboard to better understanding. Even if I don't bump an entire thread, I will reference posts in old threads because of their relevance.

How different should ones idea of a particular topic be to warrant a new discussion, versus taking an existing discussion on a new tangent?
    My radar is beeping. No formal rules should exist regarding degree of difference, or what warrants a new thread. There are some personality test threads that have been repeated, but that's because the person who started it didn't realize an old one existed. Sometimes the mods will merge them if asked, and sometimes members will link to the older version within the new thread.

Now, if someone wants to be a jerk and bump a thread to troll a person, that stinks. I just remembered someone doing that to a female member. The reason he did it was disgusting.