User Tag List

123 Last

Hate

Default Kidnapped for ransom

One of the people closest to you has just been kidnapped.

You receive proof of life and a ransom demand asking for $100,000. The kidnappers say that if you involve the police your loved one will be killed… but if you don’t call the police and just pay the ransom then your loved one will be returned safely.

You have a little over $100,000 in savings, so getting the money is possible. You’re instincts on whether or not they’ll keep their end of the bargain is at about 50/50.

So my question is:

Would you get the police involved or handle it on your own?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I would never, ever handle it on my own. I'd be recording every piece of evidence possible, including times of contact, preserving anything possibly touched by the kidnappers, etc.

I would re-trace the steps of my loved one to figure out the last place noted and seen, question people in the area s/he was last seen at, recording responses, etc. Once the trail turned cold, I'd notify the police and hand over all the evidence I could hand over. From there, I'd do what the police told me.

Being a fake officer, there is only so much I can do.. I'd walk the course as if I will pay the money in exchange for their safety. If it came down to paying for their lives, they could take the money. I would hope that the police would be waiting, staged, so we could question my friend/relative on the bad guys and/or grab them right then and there.

Life > Money, for sure, anytime of day. ... But, -.- that relative owes me big time for all my trouble.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Overall, handle it on my own.

Besides that, I'd haggle the price down a bit. Despite kidnapping this person, I'm in a position to determine the value of their life. If they choose not to lower the price and kill the person, they'll not only get nothing, but they'll also have a potential murder case given that I've collected various forms of evidence in the event I present the case to the authorities afterward. Obviously they don't want to kill this person, the murder is just a threat to extract the money from me which is their real goal in all of this.

ThatGirl

I'd pay the ransom, document everything, and keep the friend as my personal slave till he paid back the money. If they offed him? Well, they obviously were unaware of the million dollar life insurance policy I had taken out on him without his knowing.....

MBTI
    INTP

With $100,000, the problem could easily be resolved. Whether or not the resolution involves simply handing the money over to these people is another story...

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I would never, ever handle it on my own. I'd be recording every piece of evidence possible, including times of contact, preserving anything possibly touched by the kidnappers, etc.

I would re-trace the steps of my loved one to figure out the last place noted and seen, question people in the area s/he was last seen at, recording responses, etc. Once the trail turned cold, I'd notify the police and hand over all the evidence I could hand over. From there, I'd do what the police told me.
    Well aren't you quite the little detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Overall, handle it on my own.

Besides that, I'd haggle the price down a bit. Despite kidnapping this person, I'm in a position to determine the value of their life. If they choose not to lower the price and kill the person, they'll not only get nothing, but they'll also have a potential murder case.
    And strangely enough, it's possible the kidnappers might respect this and be more willing to negotiate and fulfill their end of the bargain with you because of the business like manner.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I'd pay the ransom, document everything, and keep the friend as my personal slave till he paid back the money. If they offed him? Well, they obviously were unaware of the million dollar life insurance policy I had taken out on him without his knowing.....
    That's a win-win!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    That's a win-win!
    The people closest to you should be improving your life, I suppose. If they truly loved you, wouldn't they be happy that you are happy?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Well aren't you quite the little detective.

And strangely enough, it's possible the kidnappers might respect this and be more willing to negotiate and fulfill their end of the bargain with you because of the business like manner.
    I try.

And Stigmata's plan could totally backfire, suave and convincing as the argument seems on paper.. you don't know WHY they're asking for ransom.

If they're pros, they could be asking for the amount because they already know the amount you have handy/available to you to hand over on a quick basis, and thus shorten your time to react (and thus, collect evidence) as retaliation for even trying to insult their intelligence. Murder mysteries go unsolved all of the time.. The police being relied on to find someone alive is just as useful as relying on them for someone dead. This isn't including the guilt that the money in that bank *could* have been handed over for their life.. (I could see small town people feeling awkward about trusting policemen they personally know haven't been through extensive training, but for me, I live in a huge city, we have plenty of officers, at least some of them have to be competent.. also, they have the financial means of dispatching highly qualified personnel at a rapid pace.)

The possibility that they're tweakers and just made up an arbitrary number could be there, and the business manner could scare them into thinking they're fucked with the wrong person.. which could not end up well either.

It is a gamble of all kinds, Stigmata's way.. It's all hoping that the logic you're depending on is the same as the logic they've gone on for the kidnapping in the first place.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    The people closest to you should be improving your life, I suppose. If they truly loved you, wouldn't they be happy that you are happy?
    Is this rhetorical?