MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Is this rhetorical?
    It can be anything you want it to be

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I try.

And Stigmata's plan could totally backfire, suave and convincing as the argument seems on paper.. you don't know WHY they're asking for ransom.

If they're pros, they could be asking for the amount because they already know the amount you have handy/available to you to hand over on a quick basis, and thus shorten your time to react (and thus, collect evidence) as retaliation for even trying to insult their intelligence. Murder mysteries go unsolved all of the time.. The police being relied on to find someone alive is just as useful as relying on them for someone dead. This isn't including the guilt that the money in that bank *could* have been handed over for their life.. (I could see small town people feeling awkward about trusting policemen they personally know haven't been through extensive training, but for me, I live in a huge city, we have plenty of officers, at least some of them have to be competent.. also, they have the financial means of dispatching highly qualified personnel at a rapid pace.)

The possibility that they're tweakers and just made up an arbitrary number could be there, and the business manner could scare them into thinking they're fucked with the wrong person.. which could not end up well either.

It is a gamble of all kinds, Stigmata's way.. It's all hoping that the logic you're depending on is the same as the logic they've gone on for the kidnapping in the first place.
    Well I guess the only thing left for me to do is present you with your Junior G-Man badge:

*pins badge on kyuuei*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I try.

And Stigmata's plan could totally backfire, suave and convincing as the argument seems on paper.. you don't know WHY they're asking for ransom.

If they're pros, they could be asking for the amount because they already know the amount you have handy/available to you to hand over on a quick basis, and thus shorten your time to react (and thus, collect evidence) as retaliation for even trying to insult their intelligence. Murder mysteries go unsolved all of the time.. The police being relied on to find someone alive is just as useful as relying on them for someone dead. This isn't including the guilt that the money in that bank *could* have been handed over for their life.. (I could see small town people feeling awkward about trusting policemen they personally know haven't been through extensive training, but for me, I live in a huge city, we have plenty of officers, at least some of them have to be competent.. also, they have the financial means of dispatching highly qualified personnel at a rapid pace.)

The possibility that they're tweakers and just made up an arbitrary number could be there, and the business manner could scare them into thinking they're fucked with the wrong person.. which could not end up well either.

It is a gamble of all kinds, Stigmata's way.. It's all hoping that the logic you're depending on is the same as the logic they've gone on for the kidnapping in the first place.
    You're definitely right on the risk factor involved. It's completely dependent on whether or not you're dealing with a raging lunatic or a person committing a criminal act out of desperation. If you're dealing with the latter, killing the person is not the desired outcome for them. They just want the money, and if that's the case then meeting this desperation with a power play is possible. If you're dealing with the former, all forms of logic go out the window and you're essentially at the mercy of their dwindling sanity.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'd get the police involved. They have the power and knowledge to best properly deal with the situation, not to mention the ability to arrest the kidnappers after saving the hostage. Also, the police would be smart enough to not alert the kidnappers of my involvment with them, unless of course the kidnappers can somehow trace my movements.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    You're definitely right on the risk factor involved. It's completely dependent on whether or not you're dealing with a raging lunatic or a person committing a criminal act out of desperation. If you're dealing with the latter, killing the person is not the desired outcome for them. They just want the money, and if that's the case then meeting this desperation with a power play is possible. If you're dealing with the former, all forms of logic go out the window and you're essentially at the mercy of their dwindling sanity.
    Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Thats why I made the trust factor 50/50... because both routes are a gamble. I'm just curious which gambling route people would take.

Edit: But along with the lunatic and desperate types though .. It could also be someone that is very coherent and just does this as a chosen profession.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

snoop around, find out who the kidnappers are and take thier mothers "hostage" (aka invite them over for tea and shut off thier cell phones or keep them otherwise occupied)... then offer to exchange captives
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I'm gonna say with the resources available, plus it being the right thing and all, I would go ahead and do whatever is necessary to get the important person back. I can't allow this bad behavior. There is so much weight to throw around: all that money, all that motivation, the LAW, etc. If you are going to gamble, you might as well gamble right.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I would think someone asking for money out of desperation would be open to anything BUT a power play. Chances are they are already fucked and the sum was picked for a specific reason. Trying to negotiate with what would appear to be an all or nothing strategy sounds like it would net pieces of your friend showing up in your mail box.

Idk a complete lunatic sounds easier to reason with than a desperate man with nothing to lose.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I'd get the police involved. They have the power and knowledge to best properly deal with the situation, not to mention the ability to arrest the kidnappers after saving the hostage. Also, the police would be smart enough to not alert the kidnappers of my involvment with them, unless of course the kidnappers can somehow trace my movements.
    That's probably what I'd do too - though I imagine it depends on how competent the local police force are, even with the resources they have. I'd call the cops in a different phone, tho - they might be tapping my calls or somehing. In any case, money or police, the last thing I'd do is play vigilante - that could go wrong in a thousand ways.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not going to fool myself and believe I'd be rational about it. I'd give them the money, I couldn't take the risk. Then if I got my family back, I'd get the authorities involved.