User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Pros/Cons of Summer Job Choices

I have to go around and find a job (or two or three) for the summer. Help me compile a list of the pros/cons of working at certain places/at certain positions Speaking from experience is best, theorizing is also welcome. Here is my experience with jobs.

Grocery Clerk:
    Con: *Difficult to get a lot of hours in a big business (as opposed to a small store) until you work your way up.
    *Requires enough brain power that you have to pay attention but not enough to be intellectually stimulating. It's sort of the worst of both worlds.
    Pro: *Usually there is an efficient and organized system that you can easily fit into.

Waiter/Waitress
    Pro: *Tips.
    *Physically demanding; you burn a lot of calories moving around all day, and if you're female you get nicely toned arms.
    Con: *You have to be nice to people that aren't nice to you.
    *Mindless small talk.

Office Assistant:
    Pro: *There is little annoyance of always having to be smiley and accessible compared to most other jobs; you're supposed to be at a computer or doing whatever it is you're supposed to be doing.
    *When the work is mindless, at least it's such a cognitively small load you can enjoy your thoughts that you want to be thinking.
    *You can build a good relationship with you're boss since they'll be around if you're helping them. This is good for references in the future.
    Con: *Cubicles sorta suck.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Cons about your top 2 job choices: You have to be around other people.

I understand a lot of office assistants and cubicle workers play on the Internet a good amount of the time.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've never done waitressing, but office work >> grocery work...and it usually pays better, too. Boring, maybe, but it's way less work.

Also I found the opposite working for a big grocery company - they always wanted to give me too many hours and wouldn't let me book off as many days as I wanted. So I guess it may vary.

edit: nooooo, I had 666 posts and didn't even realize? the shame.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Waiter/Waitress
    *Physically demanding; you burn a lot of calories moving around all day, and if you're female you get nicely toned arms.
    *Mindless small talk.
    All I've done is be a waiter, and I've done it at multiple different places. It's much more entertaining than most jobs, you get paid more per hour than most comparable jobs (if you're good, or at least mediocre), and you really don't have to be that nice to people. If a table sucks, you just cut your losses...plenty of other tables to give good service to!
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    All I've done is be a waiter, and I've done it at multiple different places. It's much more entertaining than most jobs, you get paid more per hour than most comparable jobs (if you're good, or at least mediocre), and you really don't have to be that nice to people. If a table sucks, you just cut your losses...plenty of other tables to give good service to!
    Yeah, what he said...that's been my current work situation for the past couple of years too. If you work at a mid-range/upscale restaurant where each drink + entree = ~$20+ you can make at least $10/hr easy even if you only have a 2-3 table section on a busy night. Plus, you can pretty much build your own schedule, and can usually get the night off if you need it because there are plenty of broke servers that want to pick up a shift, and it's a good opportunity to learn about wine. I've met some really interesting people in the restaurant business...and sometimes it's refreshing to be around a group of people that you would never normally seek out because you'd be surprised at the things you could learn from them. The fast pace is nice too...I can work a 6 hour shift and not even look at the clock...you just don't stop and time flies by, and before you know it you're going home with money in your pockets.

Cons of restaurants: Yeah, you work hard, and have to put up with stupid/irrate customers (and coworkers) sometimes. The small talk is exhausting sometimes, but it's a good opportunity to improve interpersonal skills. Bad tips happen, but for the most part, good tips even it all out. And yeah, I'm not overly friendly or talkative with my tables...just give 'em quality service and anticipate their needs. Although, on rare occasion it is possible to just really hit it off with one of your tables...and that just makes the experience all the more pleasant

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Personally, I would rather not ever have to work with food again. And with office work you get to sit down. Bonus!

'Course, I was a pretty dismal waitress. ^^
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I never got to be a waitress, actually.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I have to go around and find a job (or two or three) for the summer. Help me compile a list of the pros/cons of working at certain places/at certain positions Speaking from experience is best, theorizing is also welcome. Here is my experience with jobs.

Grocery Clerk:
    Con: *Difficult to get a lot of hours in a big business (as opposed to a small store) until you work your way up.
    *Requires enough brain power that you have to pay attention but not enough to be intellectually stimulating. It's sort of the worst of both worlds.
    Pro: *Usually there is an efficient and organized system that you can easily fit into.

Waiter/Waitress
    *Mindless small talk.

Office Assistant:
    Pro: *There is little annoyance of always having to be smiley and accessible compared to most other jobs; you're supposed to be at a computer or doing whatever it is you're supposed to be doing.
    *When the work is mindless, at least it's such a cognitively small load you can enjoy your thoughts that you want to be thinking.
    *You can build a good relationship with you're boss since they'll be around if you're helping them. This is good for references in the future.
    Con: *Cubicles sorta suck.
    You're an INTJ right?
    How about a summer job at Radio Shack?
    They have all those cool gadgets and stuff.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    You're an INTJ right?
    How about a summer job at Radio Shack?
    They have all those cool gadgets and stuff.
    Yes, I'm an INTJ.

Radio Shack is a good option, I suppose. I'm also planning on applying to a Bike/Ski shop; I just found an opening online and have fallen in love with the idea of working in an environment like that for the summer
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Why not become a spy?