User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros/Cons of Summer Job Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Why not become a spy?
    I seriously considered applying for CSIS, but I think I'd have ethical problems with it being religious and all Or, I'd get one of the boring jobs there.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I look back at my jobs during college summers fondly.

General Retail

Pros: Offers experience with a wide variety of customers and situations.

Cons: Can be difficult and even fatiguing for those who dislike hosting or complaisance. If significantly categorized as food service like Starbucks, cultural treatment of such employees (i.e., disrespectful) may apply. Corporate practices can be onerous, especially when management encourages up-selling clearly unnecessary products.

Record Store

Pros: Nearly everyone who walks in the door knows what they want. Those that don't are the rare present-purchasing aunts, who are pleasant surprises in any case. No hassles. Ten years ago, employee discounts meant an effortless way to build a collection.

Cons: Often independent businesses or small chains, so minor aspects of labor law (in my experience, breaks and lunch) may not be observed.

As for compilation, I recommend against theorizing. The working world is nothing like the unacquainted believe it to be.

I vote none of those three. I worked jobs I hated every summer in college, and I still regret it. :sad:

Do something fun which you can only do when you have the entire summer off. I am still kicking myself for not going on some type of wilderness trip.