User Tag List

123 Last

All Natural! All Good!

Default I am very insecure about my type

I originally took the MBTI Step II with career advisers at my university. I got my results some time ago but I have the opportunity to go and 'discuss' the results with an adviser. I'm thinking of going just for curiosity's sake. I'm mostly convinced of ISFP, but it will be interesting to see what they think.

The problem? I have major 'type insecurity'. Yes, I am uncertain and unsure about my self-typing. I get nervous and anxious when I start to question my type, which I do on an hourly basis. My first MBTI-related thoughts kick in almost immediately after waking. I read type-related things as much as I can, every spare minute. At the end of the day, I enter this calm state, usually after I've read something that 'confirms' my type. It's pretty peaceful. UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING...

My worry is that if I go to see the career adviser, which I really want to do just to see their typing methods, and they suggest that I'm a different type, even through poor methods (I suspect they don't use JCF)... the rumination and type-questioning will go into overdrive. I will have to rationalize why that type they gave me is not my real type, why they are wrong, and I am right. BUT I really want to go. And I want to be less obsessed with this. SO PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks.

Actually, I have a suspicion as to what is happening. I'm taking in lots of new information related to typology. This is obvious use of e function. But I'm not using my i function. I am not looking at who I am, to find my type. I am just reading more stuff. If I were an extravert, it would probably be a dom-tert loop.

...oh shit, I just explained why I am obsessed with typing myself... IN TYPOLOGY TERMS. UGGGGHHHHHH
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, this stuff is kind of like a mind virus, especially when you are in full undecided mode.

So, the first question would be: what are some examples of things that convince you that you are ISFP? And what are some examples of things that kick in the insecurity?

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Yes, this stuff is kind of like a mind virus, especially when you are in full undecided mode.

So, the first question would be: what are some examples of things that convince you that you are ISFP? And what are some examples of things that kick in the insecurity?
    Hm well, I don't think I'm fully undecided, I'm just not fully decided. I am a P after all . I suspect what is happening is that I'm about 95% sure, but even if I reach 99.9999% certainty, say, I can never get to 100%. Which will mean the obsession, 'mind virus' as you put it, will never go away. Unless I stop caring about what my type is. That is what I need, for it to become merely a curiosity.

Pro-ISFP argument is pretty much the presence of Fi and Se. The main reason I would mistype myself is that I don't fully understand the functions. And the fact that I can't perceive myself 100% perfectly, I can't know 100% of the information on type that is available (I'm not even close, of course), I can't look at everything there is to look at.

Edit: By the way, the main issue here, as mentioned in the OP, is how to get myself into ...a sane enough position that I can go to see the career adviser. The root problem is still type insecurity though.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INTP

Dude, me too

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Dude, me too
    have you ever considered that you may be an INFJ? (imho, you seem kinda INFJ-ish, but I dunno)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP

I've never tested INFJ, but I've considered a lot of possibilities

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I've never tested INFJ, but I've considered a lot of possibilities
    you seem to have a lot more Fe than a typical INTP
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I understand how MBTI can help with career choosing, but what I can't understand is how people are letting it dominate their choice.

Completely aside from MBTI, don't you have any idea of what you would like to do as a career? Some interests in which you might be able to make a living? Do you have an idea of your stronger and weaker points? Do you like doing mathwork? Do you like working with your hands? Do you like helping people face to face? Do you prefer a more reclusive position in which you can thrive? Do you like following orders, or telling people what to do?

And so on and so forth.

There are plenty of very easy questions you can ask yourself in finding a career choice that befits you. But most importantly is that you pick a study that actually interests you. MBTI is more of a guide, a method to pinpoint your stronger and weaker capabilities, so you can self reflect on your actions and put things in a stable perspective. Allowing you to put a label on and give a name to all your inner little demons, so you won't have to struggle with them needlessly without answers and can focus on more important things. Like the fun side of your career!

But if you are already getting stuck on and depressed over your own MBTI type, then you don't have a clue on what MBTI is good for. Because surely, a method that attempts to put things in perspective, does not intend to leave someone with more doubt than they had before.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I have the same problem with enneagram, it's driving me insane (most of the typeC members are probably thinking 'shut the f#$% up already!' lol).
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The enneagram test was pretty shit for me too, just couldn't figure it out based on any of the tests, but then I looked at the unhealthy levels of each type and see which unhealty levels I've shown in my past during stressful times. It was suddenly pretty obvious what enneagram type I am. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf