User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I had a psychology professor who viewed MBTI as context dependent. When asked her type she named three different ones depending on context: work, family, friends, etc. I thought that was an interesting approach. Personality is a dynamic system more like a kaleidoscope than a granite sculpture. There are underlying patterns of thought and behavior, but these can realign differently.

The E/I axis is a great example for this. There is more to it than being an extrovert or an introvert. I know people who can compartmentalize in such a way that they can live without human contact for a month and not be bothered, but in another context lead a discussion with a convincing charisma typically reserved for the extrovert. There are shy people who long to connect, and socially popular charismatic people who have to live alone. Other people are consistent in their degree of socialization.

Each axis can be examined to show that it isn't just a spot on a continuum, but the relationship between thought and feeling, the abstract and concrete, spontaneity and order, etc. can realign creating different preferences in different contexts.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I had a psychology professor who viewed MBTI as context dependent. When asked her type she named three different ones depending on context: work, family, friends, etc. I thought that was an interesting approach. Personality is a dynamic system more like a kaleidoscope than a granite sculpture. There are underlying patterns of thought and behavior, but these can realign differently.
    That's impossible; nobody acts differently based upon contex--

http://www.amazon.com/Multiplicity-S.../dp/031611538X

-- .. oh.

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post

The E/I axis is a great example for this. There is more to it than being an extrovert or an introvert. I know people who can compartmentalize in such a way that they can live without human contact for a month and not be bothered, but in another context lead a discussion with a convincing charisma typically reserved for the extrovert. There are shy people who long to connect, and socially popular charismatic people who have to live alone. Other people are consistent in their degree of socialization.

Each axis can be examined to show that it isn't just a spot on a continuum, but the relationship between thought and feeling, the abstract and concrete, spontaneity and order, etc. can realign creating different preferences in different contexts.
    I subscribe to the function theory rather than the dichotomies, so here is how I interpret this. Let's take for instance an ESTJ, who might appear more ETJ at work, ITJ when revealing personal experiences, or NP-like when generating ideas. However, the ESTJ is still an ESTJ.

Also, I know that I behave differently in different situations... however, it's far more comfortable, easy, and energizing for me to behave in certain ways over others, so it would be silly, from my POV, to suggest that my true type is one whose behaviour is draining or uncomfortable.

A teacher who is cognitively introverted (Xi dominant) doesn't "become" a cognitive extravert (Xe dominant) when teaching. An Xe dominant teacher does not "become" Xi dominant when alone. The teacher may rely more on the auxiliary or the dominant, depending on the situation, but that does not mean the teacher is actually a different type in each situation. Cognitive E/I is about focus on the external/internal world -- which says nothing about whether the external world just so happens to include people.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    That's impossible; nobody acts differently based upon contex--

http://www.amazon.com/Multiplicity-S.../dp/031611538X

-- .. oh.
    Of course people act differently based on context. That doesn't mean their types change. An ISFJ does not suddenly become Fe dominant when around friends, but perhaps relies on Fe more than when alone... which leads to different behaviour in different contexts, no doubt, but there is not really a type change cognitively speaking.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

All Natural! All Good!

Look at the OP date. I have been anxiety-free for months.

Quote Originally Posted by luismas View Post
    Strychnine,

Would you care to take one more test? It's not JCF, but we could help you analyse the results or choose between options :-)

http://kisa.ca/personality/
    I've taken that one before, and I didn't find it exceptionally good.

But if people would be willing to read it, I can write my interpretations of and answers to the questions in my type-me thread.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    That's silly. It is nothing more than than a bullish four letter combo that people blow out of proportion, but I hope someone can help you, if it's ambiguity causes you anxiety. Gl.
    Maybe the problem is not your security, but rather their reliance on the typing system being stable, predictable, repeatable, and certain.
    I can't be sure what exactly you mean by any of those adjectives, but I think this is at the root of my type uncertainty: I think there is a truth of the matter. I think there is one type that I really am, neurologically, psychologically, whatever. I think there is a type birthmark, not a literal one, but a certain brain activity pattern or whatever that might correlate to certain functions. I think that there is indeed a certain set of function attitudes I prefer strongly to other ones, such that I barely hold the other attitudes at all (e.g. Si/Ni). So I do think there is a truth. This is why I am not content to see my correct type as the type I think I am right now. I think there is indeed a type that I actually am, and if I believe I am another type, I am just wrong (incorrect).

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I think having a sudden gain about the cognitive functions can get really confusing because you can apply a lot of the stuff to yourself and it's a lot of random information. But once you get the full grasp the patterns will start to make more sense.
    I have known about JCF for quite a while but yeah, I can see almost all the stuff in myself. I don't remember what each function description said, I just pulled out the core concepts/points/etc. of each function and I only retain those.
    So eat it, you should.

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    I can't be sure what exactly you mean by any of those adjectives, but I think this is at the root of my type uncertainty: I think there is a truth of the matter. I think there is one type that I really am, neurologically, psychologically, whatever. I think there is a type birthmark, not a literal one, but a certain brain activity pattern or whatever that might correlate to certain functions. I think that there is indeed a certain set of function attitudes I prefer strongly to other ones, such that I barely hold the other attitudes at all (e.g. Si/Ni). So I do think there is a truth. This is why I am not content to see my correct type as the type I think I am right now. I think there is indeed a type that I actually am, and if I believe I am another type, I am just wrong (incorrect).
    Okay, so maybe part of the problem is also your reliance on the typing system being stable, predictable, repeatable, and certain. And by those adjectives, as someone who.. oh, is a cognitive scientist, I will tell you that we're not even really sure* that functions "exist," let alone that we have inborn preferences for them, let alone that it's so important to figure out those preferences.

If you're to the point of being insecure about not figuring out your type, it might be time to step back a bit.

What is the worst that can happen if you're wrong about your type? Why put so much pressure on yourself? What's the goal that motivates you to figure out your type? When you get to the point that you think that you see things better than your career counselors do, e.g.
    My worry is that if I go to see the career adviser, which I really want to do just to see their typing methods, and they suggest that I'm a different type, even through poor methods (I suspect they don't use JCF)..
    , it becomes apparent that either (a) they're incompetent, or (b) you've got completely different goals than they do at the moment. I bank on (b). They're the ones who are trying to guide your career, which I think is your next immediate goal. You might want to listen to them.

Oh, and being okay with multiple potential answers isn't a bad thing. I recommend that you just use this stuff to guide you to the extent that you can and move on.

*to put it very, very, very, very lightly

Of course people act differently based on context. That doesn't mean their types change. An ISFJ does not suddenly become Fe dominant when around friends, but perhaps relies on Fe more than when alone... which leads to different behaviour in different contexts, no doubt, but there is not really a type change cognitively speaking.
    I was actually corroborating what you had to say there.

But, which is more likely: that a theory that hasn't been thoroughly tested yet and can be bent sideways and frontways to explain phenomena is "true," or that humans are more flexible than we tend to give them credit for?

All Natural! All Good!

Okay, so maybe part of the problem is also your reliance on the typing system being stable, predictable, repeatable, and certain. And by those adjectives, as someone who.. oh, is a cognitive scientist, I will tell you that we're not even really sure* that functions "exist," let alone that we have inborn preferences for them, let alone that it's so important to figure out those preferences.
    Predictable and repeatable, yes. Stable is less important. I'd rather see it evolve and improve into better systems, than stay stable. And certainty is questionable too.

Ok, so we can't be sure they exist... it just seems to me that there might be a type birthmark. I am not as certain about that as I made it sound in the last post.

If you're to the point of being insecure about not figuring out your type, it might be time to step back a bit.
    I have been insecurity-free for months. I posted the OP in April. I left this forum for about 5 months, which was essentially stepping back.

What is the worst that can happen if you're wrong about your type? Why put so much pressure on yourself? What's the goal that motivates you to figure out your type? When you get to the point that you think that you see things better than your career counselors do, e.g.
    I think it's a form of escapism. It's an invented "problem" that has little bearing on my life. But it's interesting and engages my problem-solving tendencies so I don't have to think about my real problems (which are more time and effort consuming). I choose the lazy, created problem -- typing myself -- over difficult, real problems as a form of escapism. Typology is great for that because the right answer is extremely elusive, if it exists at all... haha! So I get to problem-solve forever without facing reality. The goal, then, would probably be pain-avoidance.

, it becomes apparent that either (a) they're incompetent, or (b) you've got completely different goals than they do at the moment. I bank on (b). They're the ones who are trying to guide your career, which I think is your next immediate goal. You might want to listen to them.
    haha I think it's both. They are a little incompetent, not completely. (If I remember correctly my career counselor said I am an N because I didn't touch an apple she put in front of me. What?!)

(b) is also right though, as I explained above, given that my goal is pain-avoidance and that I am not using personality type to help me decide on a career (because I use my long-term interests for that, not four letters).

Oh, and being okay with multiple potential answers isn't a bad thing. I recommend that you just use this stuff to guide you to the extent that you can and move on.
    Wise words, but typology has become my drug of choice, a vehicle of escape rather than anything I could call legitimately beneficial.

I was actually corroborating what you had to say there.

But, which is more likely: that a theory that hasn't been thoroughly tested yet and can be bent sideways and frontways to explain phenomena is "true," or that humans are more flexible than we tend to give them credit for?
    Well that depends on how much credit "we" give them. In terms of the "real world" I tend to think very few traits are actually related to personality type; i.e. I think that different thought processes can lead to the same result, because people can adapt their thoughts to the task at hand.
    So eat it, you should.

garbage

I have been insecurity-free for months. I posted the OP in April. I left this forum for about 5 months, which was essentially stepping back.
    Wait. My bad. I took your recent posts to be in the same time "context" as your first post and that totally colored what I had to say, despite the dates being right in front of me and despite you mentioning the time lapse to another poster. Sorry about that!

I think it's a form of escapism. It's an invented "problem" that has little bearing on my life. But it's interesting and engages my problem-solving tendencies so I don't have to think about my real problems (which are more time and effort consuming). I choose the lazy, created problem -- typing myself -- over difficult, real problems as a form of escapism. Typology is great for that because the right answer is extremely elusive, if it exists at all... haha! So I get to problem-solve forever without facing reality. The goal, then, would probably be pain-avoidance.
    I relate to this, too. Typology as escapism is one way of looking at it. But I think you've got a healthy perception of what type actually "means," that you're looking at it as a form of self-discovery and not allowing it to dictate your goals for you. I'm kind of in the same boat; typology is something that I still think about and play around with.

haha I think it's both. They are a little incompetent, not completely. (If I remember correctly my career counselor said I am an N because I didn't touch an apple she put in front of me. What?!)
    This is absolutely terrible. Some people should not be administering psychometric tests

All Natural! All Good!

Wait. My bad. I took your recent posts to be in the same time "context" as your first post and that totally colored what I had to say, despite the dates being right in front of me and despite you mentioning the time lapse to another poster. Sorry about that!

I relate to this, too. Typology as escapism is one way of looking at it. But I think you've got a healthy perception of what type actually "means," that you're looking at it as a form of self-discovery and not allowing it to dictate your goals for you. I'm kind of in the same boat; typology is something that I still think about and play around with.

No worries

Yeah, I just use it to get more information about myself and other people, it's just a fun thing now. It used to be more consuming, hence this thread lol, but now I can discuss type without developing type insecurity again.
    So eat it, you should.