User Tag List

Thread: Zipcar

MBTI
    yupp

Default Zipcar

who else uses a car sharing company? I like it, I pay 60 dollars a year but than I can have a car whenever it's nice for big shopping trips. Like yesterday we need dirt and rocks and that's a pain to carry back from home depot so we rented a car for an hour and a half and hit up whole foods aswell. seeing as it's 200 a month for a parking space this is more economical, the car costs about 9-15 dollars an hour depending on what car you get (I usually go with something closer to the 9 dollar range) but I usually split the cost with my room mates so its like 10 dollars a person for 3 hours. which isn't bad. And where I live I don't need a car all the time, though at times it makes things easier, which is why I like zipcar. also within the fee you pay for zipcar that includes insurance and gas. If I live somewhere that a car is necessary I'll cancel my zipcar account.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've never heard of this until now. Sounds like a good alternative for people who just need access to a car once in a while.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

the only pain about it is, while you can extend your reservation, if someone has the car right after you you have to get it back on time or else every 15 minutes its late you incur a 50 dollar late fee. Which I understand why they do that, but I've learned to reserve a car for longer than you think you're going to need it and try to get a car that doesn't have a reservation after you. I've been late one time I thought I was going to be late and couldn't extend and I called explaining that I was stuck in traffic and they were like we'll let the next person know I was 5 minutes late but they said it was on time. I think it's because I called.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Yeah I have zipcar, love it, but hate the late fee, although it does make sure I get it back on time.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

zipcar's great. i have a car but use zipcar when i want to play with other cars (current fave is the M3 convertible for trips to the wine country). there's a zipcar lot nearby and it's ridiculously easy to walk up and drive off. also helpful, word is, for moving as they have pickup trucks and vans, etc. tons of people use zipcar for picking up folks from the airport, which i think is an great use case for this app.

pro tip: download the zipcar app for your smartphone. unlocks the car for you.

(but far better than zipcar? UBER. now this is a service i use all the time. on-demand black car/limo service without the hourly rate or logistical hassle. tip's included, cashless, everything's run via the smartphone app. push a button, your driver's 2-5 minutes away and you get a notification when the car's outside. no hailing cabs or waiting, ever. awesome. (and before you cry "diva", Ubers are only approximately 20% more than the avg taxi ride) they're HQd in the Bay Area but just got $8.5M in funding for expansion. they're beta testing in Manhattan now and expanding to Tokyo, Singapore, HK, London and Paris in near future.

so zipcar for random errands and car whoring, but uber for nights on the town. fuck taxis!)
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

MBTI
    yupp

I rarely take taxis, I usually take public transit when I go out at night. But part of my tution pays for unlimited rides on buses and trains, and since I'm already paying for it might as well use it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    GONE

There are companies like this in cities across america. Sometimes they are local to just one city. Philly has its own company. I knew someone who worked at FlexCar, which was ZipCar's main competitor but from the stories I heard they did not know how to run their business so I wasn't surprised they were bought out. They have much better deals now that waive any sign up or yearly fees but you have to be a new customer. I think I will cancel mine since I've moved and get a discount later.

PS for convenience trips of 1 or 2 hours ZipCar and such companies are ideal. But, for whole day rentals I've found MUCH better deals online. Plus, if you have a credit card that covers accidents etc. you can waive insurance so really cheap per day. I've rented cars per day for as low as $9, the add tax and gas.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

well of course if I need a car for a whole do i'll go with some one else but usually i don't
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    GONE

Yeah, ZipCar is basically for grocery runs and other routine errands. I used it when I lived in DC specifically when I wanted to shop in the 'burbs of VA and MD, but if I lived in a commuter intensive area and didn't have a car, I'd just ride my bike.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari