123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Autism numbers are rising

Why do you think the frequency of this is increasing? Are they just getting better at diagnosing it? I have a brother that has some of these characteristics but he was never diagnosed.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...948842,00.html

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

I think it also has to do more with a broader definition of what it means to be autistic

Glycerine

random but it's interesting how DSM V is probably going to redefine autism.I am guess the numbers are going to be higher because they are probably going to lump Aspergers with autism and less of the autism NOS crap.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    random but it's interesting how DSM V is probably going to redefine autism.I am guess the numbers are going to be higher because they are probably going to lump Aspergers with autism and less of the autism NOS crap.
    I am under the impression that Aspergers is already classified within ASD

Glycerine

I was pretty sure that they are two different diagnoses but now they are proposing Aspergers to be reclassified into Autism Spectrum disorder as "high functioning austism". There is a lot of politics behind it, that's why. However they are both in the "pervasive development disorders" category.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I have a different view on this.
    I have posted about it befor because there are several factors as to why the numbers are rising and many speculations.
    However i do not think it improbable that it is to do with evolution of mind/brain.
    You can account for awareness, more/better diagnostics, broader terms in prehaps a 100-200% increse, but according to studies (i would need to look these up for a link) theres an approximate rise of 400%.
    Yes i know i'll get slammed for this, i always do as i have controversial views.
    I should look back at some of the research i did on it for a more comprehensive explanation.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Is it possible it has some thing to do with the proposal that they call Introversion a disorder as well? I'm not sure how true this is, I can't referr to any papers at this point in time.....but the concept was based on the fact that introverted people are more likely to display antisocial characteristics. It made me a little sick on the inside, because inspite of holding down a job and contributing to society in my own way, according to thier criteria, I would have been well truly defined as having a mental disorder that was being compared with psychopathy!
    I think the peeps behind the scenes of the DSM machine have lost thier way a bit.

That said, how many people go virtually thier whole lives with undiagnosed Asperger's? I know, at least one life (quite literally) that could have been saved....two actually, if it had been more recognised 10 years ago.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ard-introverts
    Ah, this is one article about the introversion thing.
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 04-10-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Just adding salt.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glycerine

Isn't it also highly inheritable? One of most recent theories for the etiology of it is Baron-Cohen's "Extreme Male Brain" theory where autism/Asperger's may be a major manifestation of activity in the few parts of the brain where there is gender difference in activity. I feel that Aspergers/Autism have become highly detectable and that it is highly heritable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Maybe mycoplasma has a role, would surprise me.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Maybe mycoplasma has a role, would surprise me.
    Actually thinking about that, I'm sure I read something about gut flora and chronic infection/overgrowth being associated with autism spectrum disorders.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]