User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    yupp

adderall and me don't get along when it comes to studying, we're best friends when it comes to cleaning though, go figure.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's super easy to just worry about grades, sleep and entertainment/social life. It gets trickier when you have a part-time job (or other commitments). But it's still not that bad. I mean, unless you define "social life" as "OMG need to go get drunk every single night and hang out for hours and hours with my friends"....you can easily have lots of friends without seeing them every day.

IMO if you have to study excessive amounts of time to get good grades, college is probably not the place for you in the first place. It's not meant for everyone. Even studying enough hours between classes to get you in school 6-10 hours on weekdays only (which leaves lots of time for social life/sleep) should be plenty, barring pre-exam cramming. Lots of people only do pre-exam cramming and do fine, without any other studying.

That said, some majors (engineering) leave you with less free time than others (humanities, I would assume). My major (biology) left us lots of free time, assuming you weren't a crazy person dedicated to straight A+s only.
    -end of thread-

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My major (biology) left us lots of free time, assuming you weren't a crazy person dedicated to straight A+s only.

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of 'crazy' in my life.

I don't really have a social life, but thats because I choose not to. Not because I don't have the time. Especially as an undergrad, I spent hours each night playing videogames. And I was usually taking 18 credits per semester. I had a couple semesters where I was given permission to take 19 credits. I did study nightly.

Now, I'm lucky in that I never had to get a job. My folks financially supported me as long as I maintained a 4.0 - and I did.

I call bullshit on your triangle.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I mean the ones that studied literally every hour of non-sleeping time (and sometimes even sleeping time), and didn't have time for anything outside of school activities (or hospital volunteering purely for the application boost). I call those people "crazy", even if they are trying to get into med school, which most of them were.

I know that not everyone needs that level of studying to get straight A+, though I didn't express that very well.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    yupp

eugh med school, my dad went to med school and he's glad he did but school isn't for me, everyones like you need to find something you're passionated about, and I have but I still hated it. I just want to get my degree and be done with it. I get by with the bare minimum. I just can't see myself working hard to spend 10 more years in schools after this.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    IMO if you have to study excessive amounts of time to get good grades, college is probably not the place for you in the first place. It's not meant for everyone. Even studying enough hours between classes to get you in school 6-10 hours on weekdays only (which leaves lots of time for social life/sleep) should be plenty, barring pre-exam cramming. Lots of people only do pre-exam cramming and do fine, without any other studying.

That said, some majors (engineering) leave you with less free time than others (humanities, I would assume). My major (biology) left us lots of free time, assuming you weren't a crazy person dedicated to straight A+s only.
    That's what I do (don't over stress.) The classes I take aren't time friendly (not enough time to go get away from college to do something else. And none of my classes stack nicely upon one another like how it used to be.) So in between the breaks, I usually do homework and study a bit which frees up a big portion of my time. Some classes, I don't even have to study whatsoever so I just usually tend to do homework (yes... they have homework here... along with midterms and finals.) And sometime during the day, I just goof off a little and do something even if it is on the computer.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    That's what I do (don't over stress.) The classes I take aren't time friendly (not enough time to go get away from college to do something else. And none of my classes stack nicely upon one another like how it used to be.) So in between the breaks, I usually do homework and study a bit which frees up a big portion of my time. Some classes, I don't even have to study whatsoever so I just usually tend to do homework (yes... they have homework here... along with midterms and finals.) And sometime during the day, I just goof off a little and do something even if it is on the computer.
    This is what I do too. I sometimes stay in the library to finish stuff and then go home and chill.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post

I'm having a hard time finding a balance in college. The above picture seems to be very accurate - namely, you either work and participate in class and get good rates AND you lead a healthy lifestyle (you sleep enough), or you concentrate on your social life, and get some sleep in the process.

In my freshman year, I chose the first option.
    Now I find that it's possible to go out and study efficiently, but I'm literally suffering from sleep deprivation. Plus my time for other activities has decreased.

Is anybody else concerned about this, especially extroverts? Any strategies to implement? Do you disagree? Please post your ideas.
    I think I am mostly choosing sleep. I am getting B's in both Grades and Social Life, but an A in sleep.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Permabanned

It depends I guess how you define the terms...

Good grades= B or better. (Better is of course better...)
    Good sleep= 9ish ours
    Good social life= Something to do with others every Friday and Saturday...not eating lunch alone if you don't feel like...and the occasional mid-week meet up....

I do all 3.
    And I hardly ever study....I just do the hwk....go to class the (slight) majority of the time...cram before the exam....and let whatever happens happen...

And it's not looking like this is going to change anytime soon.....I'm thinking of pursuing a major in Philosophy and a minor in Bio...then going to grad school...
    And the only real reason I'm choosing that is I know I can get away with slacking in both of those subjects areas...one interests me....and the other is an option that I might have to pursue if the other thing doesn't work out. Hopefully I don't end up in a lab...but you do what you have to...

I'm actually thinking of starting a business with all the spare time I have. Boost up my resume....get actual real world experience instead of a job flipping burgers....and I'd wager that the experience of starting a business (even an ultimately unprofitable one) would be way more valuable than the experience you get flipping burgers and earning minimum wage....

Plus...anyone can flip a burger. Life's too short for that....