User Tag List

12 Last

Default Help with English question, pleaseee!

So... i got this sentence, and needed to fill the word..

so, about qestion 38 and 39 ..
    official answers for 38 is "ever"
    but i put YEARS.

is that good too? or it should be "the years"?

and for 39
    is "did"

i put increased...

I need to know are my answers good to so I can ask for points if they are.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Below is my opinion, I am no English teacher and English isn't my first language but I have acquired a knowledge level of C1.
    I think that you are incorrect because the aim of the sentences change too radically with your words. It becomes inconsistent. At least with 38.

And the language you chose is inconsistent with what is written already. I'm not saying it's wrong to write "The league grew and so increased the expenses of playing." but the aim is thrown out of the window, hitting the quarterback and adds to the already strained budget. Basically, you can opt for increased but the language overall will take a hit from that.

Quarterback might not be part of baseball, I don't know my sports. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    Below is my opinion, I am no English teacher and English isn't my first language but I have acquired a knowledge level of C1.
    I think that you are incorrect because the aim of the sentences change too radically with your words. It becomes inconsistent. At least with 38.

i know the meaning changes but that wouldnt be important if my sentence is correct too...?!

If you want 'years' in (38), it would rather be: "... than in the years before." If you want 'increased' in (39), it would be placed at the end of the sentence: "..., and so the expenses of playing increased."

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If you want 'years' in (38), it would rather be: "... than in the years before." If you want 'increased' in (39), it would be placed at the end of the sentence: "..., and so the expenses of playing increased."
    yeah, i assumed thats the case. just wanted to check, because it's really important exam... thanks.

All the players were amateurs. In its first year, the
    league supported ___ by charging a small admission fee to its fans

what about this sentence, (37), can it be teams/players/them, instead of itself. i know it says "its fans", but why not "league supported teams by charging a small admission to its fans ("it" is about league)

I think 'its teams/players/whatever' would be correct, but why not 'itself'?

English is not my first language either, by the way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i'm a native english speaker.

i agree with nico for the most part. i think you could try to get some points for 38, but not 39. though, like nico said, if you were to use years, you would probably say "in years before" or "in the years before" (the first would be more natural where i live, but i don't know if that's true for all areas). but if you said it the way you wrote it, everyone would understand what you meant anyway.

39 i don't think you could really get points for because: "the league grew and so increased the expenses" -- it makes the meaning of the sentence ambiguous. does this mean that as the league grew, expenses increased (passive, emphasis on time), or as the league grew, the league increased expenses (active, emphasis on who's increasing)?

i think what gtzk is getting at is overall the exam is seeming to ask for very neutral words - pronouns, prepositions, and such, so it's a little odd to put in a specific noun like "years" or verb like "increased" - like that's not what you're being tested on, even though perhaps technically those words could make sense. so it's going to be up to your professor whether they feel like giving you points for more specific terms or not.

37, i think you have the best chance for, if you're only going to choose one. you can make a good argument for it by pointing out that saying "all the players were amateurs" implies they aren't getting money, and the next sentence explicitly refers to money, so it would make sense for the two to be connected.

good luck!!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    English is not my first language either, by the way.
    That probably helps, actually: you're likely to remember the technical rules of sentence structure while most native speakers just rely on habituation. For instance, I was often praised for the writing style of my college essays, but I couldn't diagram a sentence to save my life.

On a side note, I'm glad they're using baseball history as a learning tool; go Braves!

Edit: As if to illustrate my point, I'm pretty sure I should have switched the placement of the colon and the semi-colon in the above post. I'm not going to correct it because irony is awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i'
    37, i think you have the best chance for, if you're only going to choose one. you can make a good argument for it by pointing out that saying "all the players were amateurs" implies they aren't getting money, and the next sentence explicitly refers to money, so it would make sense for the two to be connected.

good luck!!

thanks.
    is "its fans" problem if you put "players". "the league supported players by charging a small admission fee to its fans" - so that's correct in gramatical sense ? some say its "the players". no ?
    just checking before i ask for points. :