User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: N/S and 'ideas'

All Natural! All Good!

Default N/S and 'ideas'

Do the types of ideas generated by Ns and Ss differ, on average? I realize there's probably some overlap.

Yes, Ns are 'idea people'. But... the most prolific idea-generator I know is actually an ESTP, and he's hardly an exception among SPs I know. He is a musician and likes to draw comics, so he comes up with ideas related to those interests seemingly constantly. I would think that N ideas would be about less concrete things (less concrete than art projects, that is)...?

There are probably also differences between S and N writers... perhaps how distanced the plots/settings of the stories are from reality. Whether they are 'far-flung' or still reality-based. I'd think S writers would be more likely to make the setting in the current/past world, whereas Ns would create alternate universes and stuff?

Then there is the SP thing about action. I think that I can come up with some good ideas but I usually have the intention of acting on each of them, as I come up with them. I lack follow through, lol, but when I come up with the idea you bet I intend to act on it! OTOH, with Ns, (especially NPs): would you generate ideas without the intention of following through on them?

This also ties in to the feasibility of the ideas. You can't follow through if it's not realistic (you could try!). Perhaps it is a desire to act on the idea that stops me and maybe other SPs from coming up with impossible things :P. Maybe that means N ideas are less feasible, on average?

Ok then... I'm hoping for input from all types on this! Thanks.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not so much an S/N thing. I think P types may be more likely to generate ideas, but J types are better at developing them.

I think what depends more on S/N is WHAT KIND of ideas you're talking about. S ideas would be more concrete/practical while N ideas would be more conceptual?

Oh dear, I may have just restated exactly what you said above. Sorry
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    There are probably also differences between S and N writers... perhaps how distanced the plots/settings of the stories are from reality. Whether they are 'far-flung' or still reality-based. I'd think S writers would be more likely to make the setting in the current/past world, whereas Ns would create alternate universes and stuff?
    Alternate universes could simply be the invention of an S or N writer who wishes to have complete creative control. Or maybe even because the required suspension of disbelief would be too much of a challenge for a particular setting. But the setting, I think, isn't as important or as informative as what the author does with it and its characters.

I think some of the best are those that emphasize the value of free perception in general. Those that have several concrete meanings as well as several metaphorical meanings. Stories that can be analyzed over and over again, but still have a new meaning pop up. Even if what you see isn't "really there" (meaning not consciously intended by the writer), I believe it's still as valid as its ability to make you see things in a new, useful, or meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by penny89
    Then there is the SP thing about action. I think that I can come up with some good ideas but I usually have the intention of acting on each of them, as I come up with them. I lack follow through, lol, but when I come up with the idea you bet I intend to act on it! OTOH, with Ns, (especially NPs): would you generate ideas without the intention of following through on them?

This also ties in to the feasibility of the ideas. You can't follow through if it's not realistic (you could try!). Perhaps it is a desire to act on the idea that stops me and maybe other SPs from coming up with impossible things :P. Maybe that means N ideas are less feasible, on average?
    I've always interpreted action and follow through as bringing it to the physical world in one way or another: writing, drawing, painting, film/directing, etc. Once it's left the explicitly mental, you've successfully acted on it. Even if the idea remains abstract, the medium is now concrete. Making possible the impossible is at least one of the reasons that I do enjoy art so much.

I personally wouldn't dream up impossible things for myself in my life, but I often consider those same things worth generally entertaining because they seem to have interesting potential in terms of what you can gain by exploring them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Alternate universes could simply be the invention of an S or N writer who wishes to have complete creative control. Or maybe even because the required suspension of disbelief would be too much of a challenge for a particular setting. But the setting, I think, isn't as important or as informative as what the author does with it and its characters.

I think some of the best are those that emphasize the value of free perception in general. Those that have several concrete meanings as well as several metaphorical meanings. Stories that can be analyzed over and over again, but still have a new meaning pop up. Even if what you see isn't "really there" (meaning not consciously intended by the writer), I believe it's still as valid as its ability to make you see things in a new, useful, or meaningful way.

I've always interpreted action and follow through as bringing it to the physical world in one way or another: writing, drawing, painting, film/directing, etc. Once it's left the explicitly mental, you've successfully acted on it. Even if the idea remains abstract, the medium is now concrete. Making possible the impossible is at least one of the reasons that I do enjoy art so much.

I personally wouldn't dream up impossible things for myself in my life, but I often consider those same things worth generally entertaining because they seem to have interesting potential in terms of what you can gain by exploring them.
    +100000
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Making possible the impossible is at least one of the reasons that I do enjoy art so much.
    Love that.

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not so much an S/N thing. I think P types may be more likely to generate ideas, but J types are better at developing them.
    In general, that's probably true.

Even if what you see isn't "really there" (meaning not consciously intended by the writer), I believe it's still as valid as its ability to make you see things in a new, useful, or meaningful way.
    I agree with all of this part of your post. Great points!

I've always interpreted action and follow through as bringing it to the physical world in one way or another: writing, drawing, painting, film/directing, etc. Once it's left the explicitly mental, you've successfully acted on it. Even if the idea remains abstract, the medium is now concrete.
    Good point about the idea becoming physical. I wonder about this though:

Making possible the impossible is at least one of the reasons that I do enjoy art so much.
    I would think this is more like, 'making physical the non-physical'? I think I'm not getting your meaning with this, sorry. Clarification would be appreciated.

I don't usually dream up impossible things either. I agree though, I like to hear other people's ideas, no matter how possible they are. It's just interesting to see where the trail leads.

Hmm... It occurs to me (a bit late, yes) that impossible vs. possible is likely a subjective thing. I looked in the ENTP ideas thread earlier and most of the stuff in there, I would not think of, specifically because it's too 'impossible'. But if someone else brought it up I would enjoy exploring the implications.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

I would think this is more like, 'making physical the non-physical'? I think I'm not getting your meaning with this, sorry. Clarification would be appreciated.
    I meant it in that way as well. I tried to make it as broad as possible for that exact reason. As far as a few literal impossibilities having become possible:

- a vivid glimpse into the subconscious of another person (i.e. surrealism), or a direct, all-at-once experience of another person's inner (emotional) life

- a vivid experience of events and lifestyles that are either real but distant, or distant and only real in the figments of one's imagination (i.e. film and photography)

- the widespread exchange or transport of ideas between countries, continents, and through time (decades, centuries, etc)

Art in general gives us so much previously-somewhat-limited insight (or new opportunity for greater insight and understanding) and can inspire new ideas and real life changes. Though it's hard to completely articulate all that I'm thinking about it.

I don't usually dream up impossible things either. I agree though, I like to hear other people's ideas, no matter how possible they are. It's just interesting to see where the trail leads.
    Sorry, I meant that I don't try to act on the 'impossibilities'* that I dream up in my own real life**. I wouldn't actually pursue the invention of human flight if I entertained it as an interesting idea, for instance. I'm very aware of the distance between them and my real life for better or worse.

But in private I entertain them because of what I can gain (not specifically in just the literal implications of an idea on life or the world, but on how I view everything -- my perception itself) by exploring them. Even in hearing the ideas of others, my goal is to alter how I currently view things and possibly expand my own private impossibilities.

*An idea, concept, hypothesis, or fantasy.
    **I live a very quiet life on the outside, haha.

Hmm... It occurs to me (a bit late, yes) that impossible vs. possible is likely a subjective thing. I looked in the ENTP ideas thread earlier and most of the stuff in there, I would not think of, specifically because it's too 'impossible'. But if someone else brought it up I would enjoy exploring the implications.
    Oh wow
    Some of those ideas are very funny. I don't really do that either.

Anew Leaf

I tend to dream up bizarre "what if" scenarios about anything that catches my fancy. (Stay tuned for my incredible "Theory on How to Live Forever.")

I get really inspired by "S" poetry/music lyrics and art. Biggest example is Ani Difranco (XSFP). I love how she chooses words carefully that have both an aural impact as well as imaginative impact. I tend to get lost in my own head, that it didn't occur to me to try speaking out loud and seeing how my writing sounded.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've been a writer for many years (for work, for pleasure, different genres and styles here and there) and kind of gave up on fiction partly because my plots/ideas are crap. I wrote the same short story like ten times, in terms of plot. I think it was at that point I realised my heart wasn't really in it.

However, I love writing poetry. And the short story I had published years ago was based on Arthurian legend, which I used to be especially passionate about. It worked well for me because I was working with an existing story, but I tweaked it and played with the plotline and characters. That worked well for me and if I start writing fiction again I'd probably go back to something like that.

For what it's worth, I would probably work best in collaboration with someone generating amazing plots/ideas, because I'm not that good at that, and me writing and developing in a fine style, because I write better than most people I know... although this forum does not necessarily indicate that!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do the types of ideas generated by Ns and Ss differ, on average? I realize there's probably some overlap.

Yes, Ns are 'idea people'. But... the most prolific idea-generator I know is actually an ESTP, and he's hardly an exception among SPs I know. He is a musician and likes to draw comics, so he comes up with ideas related to those interests seemingly constantly. I would think that N ideas would be about less concrete things (less concrete than art projects, that is)...?
    I don't think there is a difference between S and N based on the quality or quantity of ideas. What I think may be different is the types of ideas each tends to generate. Yes, I agree that N ideas are probably more abstract. S ideas are more concrete, I think. N is more likely to have the ideas typically thought of as "out of the box", coming seemingly from nowhere. S is more likely to have ideas that build on things already there. For example, I could create something new just by modifying slightly the variables of something already existing. I think N types are often seen as more creative because their ideas are "out of the box" but on the downside, the N ideas are often harder to understand and implement.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne