Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default The Strong Woman Thread

the purpose of this thread is to promote genuinely strong womanly qualities and distinguish them from obnoxious, uptight women who don't know what being a strong woman is really about. living in america where the current trend is for women to be the latter, I was compelled to post this thread for that reason.
    show us examples of who you believe to be a genuinely strong woman and why you believe them to be so.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

This has been tried before, it was full of fail.

What you judge as obnoxious and/or uptight is based solely on your personal subject opinion of who someone should be, which frankly is irrelevant, that same person may be an inspiration to others, there is no right or wrong way to be strong and you are not in a position to judge what is genuine and what is invalid because of how a woman wears it. Not to mention the double standards women in power are held to, be too strong and you're a bitch, be too impersonal and you're callous, be too successful and you're out of line.

In the stolen words of the great INA: Let's have some male-sanctioned models of assertiveness for women to emulate. /sarcasm.

You would succeed better in your aim of identifying inspirational or strong women if you took all the judgement out of things.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    ... distinguish them from obnoxious, uptight women who don't know what being a strong woman is really about. living in america where the current trend is for women to be the latter
    Really? It's the trend?

I don't experience that as the trend. It sounds like you're talking about 70's/early 80's feminism.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i don't find it to be a trend either. not any more so than is prevalent with men. what i do find to be a trend is men who complain when women don't take "enough" power, and then men who complain when women take "too much" power.

and i don't mean that just generally, i've experienced it quite firsthand. i have a male friend who likes to talk about how women are more delicate and should be protected, and then once when i debated with him, he said he felt aggressive towards me and like i was acting in a way that a woman shouldn't act. he's also said that i turn him off because i assertively protect other people. wtf?

plus it's hard to be a woman leader. you have to really work to be readily accepted and given respect as much as men. it's easy for a man to be assumed a competent leader. for a woman, we have to fight the prejudices of being assumed to be more emotional, more gossipy, less independent, and less competitive. so you have to prove yourself - which ends up with people thinking you're obnoxious (because you're outspoken and self-promoting) and uptight (because you have to keep a tight rein on things otherwise people are going to see you as soft and moody).

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper
    Not to mention the double standards women in power are held to, be too strong and you're a bitch, be too impersonal and you're callous, be too successful and you're out of line.
    exactly.

i don't think any harm was meant by this thread, but the place of bias that it starts from is disheartening. we can't promote female role models if we're starting from a place of already putting women down just because they don't live up to what you think women ought to be.

plus what is a strong womanly quality? i like being feminine, but i don't find that my strengths are really much different from men's. i can direct, delegate, debate, protect, produce, perfect... why are my qualities automatically assumed to be restricted to a different realm?

figsfiggyfigs

I can lift heavy things....

My hair is so strong, even Chuck Norris can't cut it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

See Elfboy? Remember what I said about being right once?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm still trying to work out how much of the male female divide is a social construct.
    But anyway i'd describe myself as a strong w̶o̶m̶a̶n̶ person.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Okay, I'll be serious with this thread.

I disagree with role modeling, believing every woman needs to find her own way by being honest with herself about strengths and weaknesses. IMO, self-actualisation is the way to go, instead of trying to become something you're not.