User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 18 of 18

  1. #11
    the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    RAD
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I can lift heavy things....
    I can't but I can whisk most people away on a wondrous adventure, climbing mountains (small small hills in the urban area) and meeting the mystical Gnu'bf, the creature with no eyes but all hearing (a rock I found in the concrete jungle). A story is waiting to be told and I wonder if I can reach out to you?

    On a more serious note: I think this'll weigh out in say.. 30-60 years or so? There's a lot of changes to both of the gender roles and I think there would be a much more constructive conversation then than now. Why? Well, I find it odd to describe to a 1 year old baby that the world is round and that We expect to see it understand the underlying reason to Fibonacci's number sequence, stand in awe and then produce something similar at age 3.

    EDIT: On the other hand, we might as well try and perhaps mess its brain up instead of letting it to find out on its own. What's up with this proclaimed truth of reality?

    I might get into a conflict over this.
    Why later on? It could be ruled that there's always too much conflict going on and that we think not enough. At other times, I think we might turn a blind eye to what is happening when we think about it. On a third note, I agree with Jenaphor but would change females to everyone. Please don't get mad at me for this ignorant reply.

    EDIT2: Did you guys (fe/males) have role models? How does that feel? And is it something similar to the aspire to be-thingy that can happen when infatuation happens? Is it a mirror thing? (oot, sorry)

    EDIT3: I got 599 posts. Only 67 posts to go.

  2. #12
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Okay, I'll be serious with this thread.

    I disagree with role modeling, believing every woman needs to find her own way by being honest with herself about strengths and weaknesses. IMO, self-actualisation is the way to go, instead of trying to become something you're not.
    that is a valid belief, I'm somewhere in the middle. I see role models as inspiration and someone to draw ideas from, but not someone to imitate. the idea of imitation is actually quite disgusting to me. that being said, I think that their are fundemental differences in people. one person at their healthiest and most successful is going to be different from another healthy successful person. I think that's why it's called personal growth and not personal making
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  3. #13
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    EDIT2: Did you guys (fe/males) have role models? How does that feel? And is it something similar to the aspire to be-thingy that can happen when infatuation happens? Is it a mirror thing? (oot, sorry)
    For much of my life my role models were non-gender-specific. I don't even know if they were "Role models" because I wasn't really trying to be like them -- they were just older / more mature people with whom I would resonate because we had shared some similar life experience, or talent, or goal/perspective, and because of that resonance I was inspired to be even moreso what I already was.

    However, recently, I have found myself delving more and more into strong women. Right now I'm reading excerpts by Andre Lorde, a black lesbian poet who died of cancer in the '90's. I had seen some quotes by her that had a profound impact upon me, as someone who started out unengaged and quiet/reserved and who has been coming more and more out of herself. Lorde's philosophy was that we needed to speak and put ourselves out there, because words have power, and we do not contribute to the world if we do not make it clear to the world who we are as individuals. Even if we are wrong, then the act of putting ourselves out there will catalyze other people to speak to shape and correct what we have said, and thus truth will still reverberate in the world.

    She was also one who saw power in diversity (because we are different, we then can forge ourselves together and be strong); and she also did not limit herself to one aspect of herself, because she felt like that made her only a shadow of who she was. We are each diverse and embody different roles/aspects (she was black, and female, and lesbian, not just ONE of those things), and we are only strong if we embrace ALL of who we are, regardless of how people try to just put others into a one-box category, thus limiting our own complexity.

    I just find myself aglow, reading her, and am proud of who she was, and her words resonate with me as things I have felt but never given conscious voice to. Does that make her a role model? I don't know. It's not as if I want to be HER, I want to be ME... but her light ignited the light within me so that I can burn in my own special way, and for that I am grateful. And that is the typical impact of those I look up to in this life... they help me be more myself, by them being more who THEY are. Maybe their courage is what I seek to emulate.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #14
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Okay, I'll be serious with this thread.

    I disagree with role modeling, believing every woman needs to find her own way by being honest with herself about strengths and weaknesses. IMO, self-actualisation is the way to go, instead of trying to become something you're not.
    I like role models though, not because I'm trying to be something I'm not, but because I'm trying to cultivate things within myself and it helps me to see examples of it, for inspiration/encouragement.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Strength comes from your humanity , not your gender.

  6. #16
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i don't find it to be a trend either. not any more so than is prevalent with men. what i do find to be a trend is men who complain when women don't take "enough" power, and then men who complain when women take "too much" power.
    Exactly.
    -end of thread-

  7. #17
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    I don't really give a shit about being a "strong woman". My mother is totally obsessed by it and she watches certain movies, just because those movies would be about "strong women" (and they're always totally boring!!!). I'm just who I am. If I qualify for the "strong woman" label, well, yippy then, but if I don't I wouldn't mind either. It's not for me to decide. I have more important things on my mind.

    I don't have any role models, by the way. I want what I want and I'm trying to get those things that I want. Getting closer every day.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Chaotic Harmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Hmm.... Is it obnoxious that I grew up being called a spoiled brat my whole life (just because I was an only child), so I developed an independent streak where I never needed anyone to help me pay for the things I wanted? Or that I got tired of being picked on and made fun of so I stopped taking crap from people? If the answer is yes then I suppose I'm obnoxious. Personally, I've been told by several people that I'm a very strong person, and yet still very approachable and friendly....just don't piss me off.

    As far as role models go, I don't think it's a bad thing. I'd love to achieve the things my mother has. Except, my accomplishments will never be exactly like hers because I grew up in a completely different environment than her and didn't have the same hardships that she endured. Nonetheless, my mother has cleared some amazing hurdles in life and I have learned a lot from her about life, ethics, morals, etc.

Similar Threads

  1. The Funny Video Thread
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 875
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 07:20 PM
  2. The Never Ending Thread
    By ygolo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 04:50 PM
  3. The lame jokes thread
    By Sahara in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 03:29 AM
  4. The Entertain Niffer Thread
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO