User Tag List

123 Last

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Default Might be moving to the UK...

in a year or maybe year and a half or so... might be moving to England or Scotland with my best friend, its kind of all up in the air right now, and dependent on whether or not my mother has recovered by her illness by then so she does not need me here to help her... and also on whether or not I can get a work visa, which seems likely i will since my profession is desperate for workers from what ive been able to find out... (respite provider/care taker for both adults and mentally disabled children.)

Edit: totally forgot, I wanted to ask if anyone has an useful information or advice.
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

If you're used to California weather, I would recommend making sure to buy yourself a lot of warm clothing beforehand so you don't have to wind up paying more for clothes when you get there. Especially if you're going to be in Scotland during winter months. Think of the coldest climate you can imagine, double it, and buy clothes accordingly. I did not realize how cold it actually gets over there, and I was scrambling for cold weather gear.

Also, if you're used to seeing the sun all the time, it might be a good idea to ask yourself if you can handle overcast skies as the norm. I'm used to Florida, so the gray skies did really affect me. It may not be a factor for you though.

If you plan to drive over there, it might be a good idea to get yourself lessons to adjust to driving on the other side and UK traffic signage. If you don't know how to drive a stick-shift and you're going to need to drive over there, I'd recommend learning how to drive stick since rarely are cars automatics over there. You don't really need a car over there though, trains and buses can get you just about anywhere you need to go. You just have to learn to schedule with allowances for late buses/trains etc. if you haven't used mass-transit a lot before. Learn to enjoy walking.

Learn how to use a gas stove if you haven't, and learn how a gas-mark stove works if you do a lot of cooking. Get yourself a handy conversion chart for Fahrenheit/Celsius conversion, Miles/Kilometers conversion, and really, just all basic conversions so you're not scrambling. I took to keeping one in my wallet at all times.

It's a drinking culture over there, so I'd say either prepare to get drunk a lot more or prepare to have to stand your ground firmly if you're not a drinker. I'm not trying to stereotype peeps in UK, but I experienced this A LOT. I'm not a drinker and I had to be resolute about it because I got the whole "Come on, have a pint already!!" kind of stuff.

Familiarize yourself with soccer, and be prepared to never call it soccer while you're there. You call it football. If you want to talk about American football, you call it American football. Be prepared for no one giving a crap about American football. Familiarize yourself with Rugby, and be prepared to agree that American football is the wussy, shoulder-padded, knee-padded version of Rugby.

Learn about 'chavs', 'pikeys' and 'wideboys', so you know what they're talking about when they make fun of these types on BBC sketch comedy programs.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

lol, thanks Gloriana, I do believe I will have an issue with the lack of sunshine... but we shall see, not like I get out much now anyway... will definitely need to get warmer clothing, thats for sure...lol...

I dont drive, I walk, bike, and sometimes take public transportation so other than weather concerns that doesnt sound like I will have much issue with that, maybe pick up a moped when im over there... only vehicle ive driven a decent amount has been a motorcycle...

LOVE cooking on/in a gas stove...LOVE it...everything turns out better! will definitely need to keep a card with the conversions on me around though just to make sure I remember,lol...good advice,lol...

yeah I dont like getting drunk often... a drink here and there i dont have an issue with, but I also do not like most beers and im allergic to red wine, sooo...lol... that will be interesting, socially, to see how that works out...lol.

Not really into sports at all, this will be difficult,lol... btw I thought American football is the wussy, shoulder-padded, knee-padded version of Rugby. (but with more finesse and strategy such as oh, chess vs checkers...)

Chavs im pretty certain are what we call preps, or preppy? im not sure, never got really involved in that whole clique dynamic thing growing up,lol
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

MBTI
    INTe

Chavs im pretty certain are what we call preps, or preppy? im not sure, never got really involved in that whole clique dynamic thing growing up,lol
    LOL!!
    No. Quite the contrary.

A beflowered maus with a british accent would be cool, though. Especially if he spoke like a chav.

ETA: for your edification, Chavs:
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

OH GOD... its what are most often called "Wigga's" over here, at least, thats what my black friends call them,lol.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Update, here are the places id most likely be moving too... any advice specific to those areas would be nice too,lol.

in England: Warwick, Lancaster, Bradford, or Brighton.
    In Scotland: St Andrews or Edinburgh.

MBTI
    INTe

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    OH GOD... its what are most often called "Wigga's" over here, at least, thats what my black friends call them,lol.
    They just don't pretend that the chav phenomenon is black people's doing, as they do in the U.S. (by way of nomenclature). It's class-based.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Im done with t his bullshit..

MBTI
    INTe

there are people in the U.S. that blame it on black people? huh, weird, ive never seen that, although I am quite sure there probably are a few who do, that is not the norm...
    I wouldn't have said "blame" but ...

You must be exposed to different norms
    It's all in the etymology of the term "wigga," i.e. "white ... nigga." Of course, facts and popular usage aren't known to have a tight relationship in pop culture, but I digress.

especially since most "wiggas" as they call them over here are teenagers, middle to upper class, very few are lower class in comparison, the term wigga from what Ive been told, refers to rich white people trying to pretend to be "ghetto"
    "ghetto" in American parlance is proxy for poor urban blacks. Take the classic wigga movie "Malibu's Most Wanted" with Jamie Kennedy. He's portraying a rich kid-turned-wigga and he certainly didn't venture to a white ghetto or trailer park. The placement is decidedly black.

especially since most "wiggas" as they call them over here are teenagers, middle to upper class, very few are lower class in comparison, the term wigga from what Ive been told, refers to rich white people trying to pretend to be "ghetto" and is not used to refer to whites who have actually grown up in the ghetto, and are culturally similar to others of other races who make up the majority of those who live in the ghetto...
    And, to bring the thread back on point, chavs are not deemed to be pretending. No, they're conceived as irredeemably steeped in the [anti-]culture of chavism. Born and raised. Hence no need to signal their derivation from anything else (as the term "wigga" does).
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Chavs are white trash, I think that's basically it.

Gloriana gave a lot of good advice. I live in London and I really think it's the place to be. I don't know much about the other places you're contemplating...Brighton might be the nicest, though. Plus it's fairly close to London, and the Continent, and it's by the sea... My parents lived there when they were first married, and they liked it a lot, or at least my mom did! Edinburgh is pretty cool, and smallish, but the weather is even worse up there

I think it's true that avoiding drinking when you socialize is a lot more difficult here! I grew up on Canada's West Coast and it was a total coffee culture. I barely drank at all before I moved to Ireland and then England. Now, well, generally I'm well behaved and moderate, but I've had my moments of over-indulgence. And sometimes I just have to put a bit of a check on myself, because I realise that I've had a drink or drinks almost every night of the previous week, or whatever...it really depends on what I'm doing socially.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING