User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes, trailer park culture is the closest thing to a predominantly white "ghetto" ...though there were white ghettos in the 19th century and very early 20th century because of poor immigrants of European descent who were looked down upon at that time. The Irish and people from Eastern Europe were not held up in the same regard as people from England, France, Germany, and other Northern European countries.

But yes, in the 21st century, ghettos predominantly refer to a particular culture surrounding poor urban blacks - however, there *are* white people in those ghettos. To say that all white people have more money or come from a higher socio-economic class is a logical fallacy.

And what about poor Mexican areas? I've heard this referred to as "the vato" or something, which would seem similar to a ghetto.

*NVM, this is all the U.S., and you're talking about England.
    Actually, we where talking about both, the comparison, the other half of my family is predominantly Irish, french too... the irish parts where all okies and came over to california during the depression, interesting stories there...i miss my great aunts... was not fun being irish back in the day, or so ive heard,lol.

i dunno about "the vato" but Vato for my mexican relatives, is the same as calling somebody your "homie" or "nigga" and is a fairly old term, as even the older people in that part of our family use it...they all refer to the ghetto as "the ghetto" or "the hood"

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    yeah, look into Brighton. Believe it or not, I know people who commute daily from Brighton to London for work...! Which I think is nuts. Commuting across London is bad enough, let alone commuting into London from the coast and then probably traveling across the city too
    yeaaaahhh commuting sucks... id almost rather starve to death...hahaha...not quite though...but id rather not have a job anywhere in which id have a long commute... they just stress me to much, timing has to be perfect or you have to aim to come in really early...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    If your favourite beers are American, I must warn you, the Brits and Europeans despise American beer... I don't like beer at all myself (prefer cider, wine, cocktails) but I was still slightly shocked to find that they have only a slightly better opinion of Canadian beer than American. Belgian and Czech beers, and some English, are supposed to be the way to go. Of course, you may just have or find friends who aren't into drinking. They are out there! I really think it's better for me to spend more time with friends who drink less, sometimes I can get influenced otherwise
    Actually, they are american, but not the domestic piss in a can crap like Budweiser or other similar brands, I like most of the beers made by lost coast brewery, and I really love Heinry Weinhard's Belgian White... I used to love Guinness though, but have completely lost my taste for it.
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

MBTI
    INTe

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    you seemed to have been implying that it was not the case, so I was stating otherwise, maybe I took it wrong.
    You did.

Anyway, my entire point is that its a culture based on economic class NOT race, the term wigga refers to a specific class and behavior, and in the end has NOTHING to do with the basic term it was coined from, "nigga"
    And you'd be wrong. It very much has quite a bit to do with the term it was coined from. It's not simply the ghetto and all who live in it, including Latinos and Asians. It's specifically black.

Wigger is a pejorative slang term for a white person who emulates mannerisms, language, and fashions associated with African-American culture, particularly hip hop in the United States or the Grime/Garage scene in Britain.[1] The term is a portmanteau of white and nigger. The term is considered derogatory, reflecting stereotypes of African-American or Black British culture, and can be used pejoratively, because of its connotations of cultural appropriation. It is also often used in a racist manner, not only belittling the person perceived as acting black, but also demeaning black people and culture by proxy. Some, however, use the term neutrally, or as a light joke, without any racism intended.
    Link: wiki

LESSON 25
    A wigga is an affluent young white male, who admires and absorbs certain aspects of black culture, which happen to have cooler music and sharper clothes. He adopts the slang of the black city. Wigga is attracted to hip hop and rap.
    Link: BBC

a white person who makes themself look stupid by dressin and actin black
    Vanilla Ice,and Justin Timberlake
    The term "wigga" is a combination of the word white and the racial slur "nigger." Which has evolved to "nigga" with the common reference from African-American to African-American. The word basically refers to Caucasian males who have a psychological mindset, which makes them think that they are African Americans.
    A caucasian male or female that takes on the personality of inner city blacks.
    Link: U.D.
    —n
    slang, derogatory a white youth who adopts black youth culture by adopting its speech, wearing its clothes, and listening to its music
    Link: Dictionary
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Im done with t his bullshit.
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

MBTI
    INTe

Im sorry, but racist misunderstandings of the basis for a culture is not good back up for an opinion based on no experience, but Hollywood movies and wikipedia articles.
    I'm not sure whose racist misunderstanding you mean here. I'm simply pointing out the origin and usage of the term, not voicing agreement with the stereotypes or misunderstandings involved in its creation or usage.

the culture is economic, NOT race based most of my family still lives in ghettos, I have lived in them off and on throughout my life, luckily much more time out of them than in, and I can tell you its only the people that have never lived there, or dont look closely at the issues that will disagree with me on this, if you actually look at the culture you would see every aspect of it is economically based not race, if it wasnt, then black culture wouldnt be so vastly different in africa, or other countries, its the american poor that have created this culture, a large portion are black, but the color of their skin did NOT create the culture, their economic status did... saying their race created the culture, is ridiculous.
    I understand it's a sensitive issue for you, but you're quarreling with the wrong person. I didn't coin the term or invent its usage. Further, I think the term as used encompasses more than race; it's a particular subset of that race, as is evident from the definitions. It does floor me, though, that anyone could think to ignore race aspects of a highly racialized term.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INTe

you re not coming off as pointing out what you believe to be the origin and usage of the term, until now you have not even implied that you dont agree with they stereotyping's, or the misunderstandings... so I had no reason to believe otherwise till this point.
    As a matter of fact, I did write
    "Of course, facts and popular usage aren't known to have a tight relationship in pop culture, but I digress.
    What did I write to suggest I endorsed the stereotypes or the misunderstandings?

I am not ignoring the racial aspects, you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying, as I have already said, the WORD is race based, its MEANING has nothing to do with blacks as a race, its referring to a white person acting as if they are from a culture which is NOT black, its economic
    And, again, I say that the word is understood and used as deriving from a specific race - black- not simply economic as is evidenced in the fact that it doesn't refer to an emulation of poor whites. As a matter of fact, I said it's based on the stereotype of "poor urban blacks." You quarrel that "black" should be taken out, and I [and all the other sources, including the dictionary] disagree.

if it wasnt economic, then black culture would be the same in every single society...and its not, its primarily in the U.S. with some similarities in other western cultures, and the culture is shared by all races in the same economic class within large U.S. cities.
    So what part of "poor urban blacks" in the U.S. (and I did state the u.s.) includes rich suburban black? or Ugandan goat farming peoples? or Ivorian basket-weaving tribes? Who was making the argument that the stereotyped "poor urban black" culture is a universal representative of black culture?
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Currently wishing I had never mentioned Chavs.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INTe

-_- seriously? really? ok I will have one more stab at this, then if you want to discuss it more, please start another thread and stop clogging mine up.
    Responding to errors in a thread is clogging the thread up? The thread would be much less clogged if you exhaled and read instead of getting your knickers in a twist over your sensitivies.

Defending stereotypes is implied support of them
    Even if this were true, WHERE was my defense of the stereotype?
    if you do not support them, but are wishing to play devils advocate, then you need to say so, if you DO defend them, dont go whining when people believe you believe the views you defend.
    You seem to confuse informing about something with defending it.
    But take a minute to relax and look at the thread. Who's whining? You have been very emotional in your responses and crying about racist misunderstandings and stereotypes and how you lived in the ghetto so you can rewrite word usage ... ad nauseum.

"Of course, facts and popular usage aren't known to have a tight relationship in pop culture, but I digress." does not communicate that you dont believe the opinions you are backing, and are still backing, so obviously you DO believe them...
    What exactly is it that I believe? And that I am backing?

first off, you NEVER specified you where talking about "poor urban blacks" till NOW, you have only specified blacks...
    Learn.to.read.
    You "infer" a whole lot incorrectly, yet fail to draw the simplest of inferences.
    especially since most "wiggas" as they call them over here are teenagers, middle to upper class, very few are lower class in comparison, the term wigga from what Ive been told, refers to rich white people trying to pretend to be "ghetto"
    "ghetto" in American parlance is proxy for poor urban blacks.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1524095
    if anything he makes my point, a rich white kid trying to pretend to be a part of a culture
    ...and that culture is ghetto black (a.k.a, in the US, "nigga") culture
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1524141
    I understand it's a sensitive issue for you, but you're quarreling with the wrong person. I didn't coin the term or invent its usage. Further, I think the term as used encompasses more than race; it's a particular subset of that race, as is evident from the definitions. It does floor me, though, that anyone could think to ignore race aspects of a highly racialized term.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1524214

and MY entire point, is that poor urban blacks, poor urban whites, poor urban latinos, and poor urban asians... if you had ever lived it, youd know that.
    You're telling me about who lives in the ghetto. I'm telling you about what a term comes from and means in popular usage. So you feel excluded and may not like it, tough shit, but the term isn't based off any stereotype of your asian neighbor in the ghetto. No amount weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth on your part changes that.
    As I said, "facts and popular usage" often don't have a tight relationship.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram