User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Im done with t his bullshit.
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Chavs are white trash, I think that's basically it.

Gloriana gave a lot of good advice. I live in London and I really think it's the place to be. I don't know much about the other places you're contemplating...Brighton might be the nicest, though. Plus it's fairly close to London, and the Continent, and it's by the sea... My parents lived there when they were first married, and they liked it a lot, or at least my mom did! Edinburgh is pretty cool, and smallish, but the weather is even worse up there

I think it's true that avoiding drinking when you socialize is a lot more difficult here! I grew up on Canada's West Coast and it was a total coffee culture. I barely drank at all before I moved to Ireland and then England. Now, well, generally I'm well behaved and moderate, but I've had my moments of over-indulgence. And sometimes I just have to put a bit of a check on myself, because I realise that I've had a drink or drinks almost every night of the previous week, or whatever...it really depends on what I'm doing socially.
    I'll have to check on brighton, sounds nice, from what ive heard my particular skills are in great demand over there, but who knows if they are in specific areas... in the end though where we move to may be determined by where she ends up going to school... Brighton would be cool though since its close to london, better chance of me being able to meet you and some other friends ive got out that way

gosh the drinking thing will be bothersome unless they have my favorite beers there, which I highly highly doubt,lol.
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, trailer park culture is the closest thing to a predominantly white "ghetto" ...though there were white ghettos in the 19th century and very early 20th century because of poor immigrants of European descent who were looked down upon at that time. The Irish and people from Eastern Europe were not held up in the same regard as people from England, France, Germany, and other Northern European countries.

But yes, in the 21st century, ghettos predominantly refer to a particular culture surrounding poor urban blacks - however, there *are* white people in those ghettos. To say that all white people have more money or come from a higher socio-economic class is a logical fallacy.

And what about poor Mexican areas? I've heard this referred to as "the vato" or something, which would seem similar to a ghetto.

*NVM, this is all the U.S., and you're talking about England.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Ha, I love that my most tongue-in-cheek bit of advice sparked off a big Chav-debate.

My former brother-in-law was the greatest Chav I ever met in my life. He spent most of his money on name label clothes, would invariably spill curry sauce on them or burn holes in them with his cigarettes, then he would just buy more instead of repairing what he had. He spent 1-2 whole hours every day grooming himself, shaved his chest, and took hour long showers. He listened to gangsta rap incessantly, and walked around the house asking "Where's ya gun finger at biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch?", even to his quiet school teacher father. If he wasn't saying that, he was saying "Pop! Pop! Pop muthafucka!" or "Have you got tickets to my gun show???" before kissing his own biceps. He went to clubs as often as possible and usually slept under the kitchen table drunk if he didn't manage to 'pull any slags'. He once came home drunk and proceeded to paint a picture with nothing but some ink and his penis. He put it up in the kitchen and proudly announced that his work was 'Gangsta!!!!".

I miss that bastard, I really do. I haven't yet written a character based on my ex, but I've written at least two characters based on my former brother in law.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes, trailer park culture is the closest thing to a predominantly white "ghetto" ...though there were white ghettos in the 19th century and very early 20th century because of poor immigrants of European descent who were looked down upon at that time. The Irish and people from Eastern Europe were not held up in the same regard as people from England, France, Germany, and other Northern European countries.

But yes, in the 21st century, ghettos predominantly refer to a particular culture surrounding poor urban blacks - however, there *are* white people in those ghettos. To say that all white people have more money or come from a higher socio-economic class is a logical fallacy.

And what about poor Mexican areas? I've heard this referred to as "the vato" or something, which would seem similar to a ghetto.

Actually, we where talking about both, the comparison, the other half of my family is predominantly Irish, french too... the irish parts where all okies and came over to california during the depression, interesting stories there...i miss my great aunts... was not fun being irish back in the day, or so ive heard,lol.

i dunno about "the vato" but Vato for my mexican relatives, is the same as calling somebody your "homie" or "nigga" and is a fairly old term, as even the older people in that part of our family use it...

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Actually, we where talking about both, the comparison, the other half of my family is predominantly Irish, french too... the irish parts where all okies and came over to california during the depression, interesting stories there...i miss my great aunts... was not fun being irish back in the day, or so ive heard,lol.

i dunno about "the vato" but Vato for my mexican relatives, is the same as calling somebody your "homie" or "nigga" and is a fairly old term, as even the older people in that part of our family use it...

Oberon

What a depressing thread.

MBTI
    INTe

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    the fact is the term was coined, and is primarily used by minorities.
    ...Assuming this is correct, ....And...??

there is no such thing as a white ghetto, all ghettos are predominantly minority as the majority of poor people are minorities
    its more of an economic and cultural thing than race, race has nothing to do with ghetto
    See your point quoted immediately above this one. Compare the statements in bold

that movie was about a man obsessed with a certain culture, that culture is common primarily in the ghetto, which is filled mostly with black people
    ... I dont see how it has anything to do with the discussion, its a stupid movie, and there is no such thing as a culturally similar predominantly white "ghetto" in the U.S. so where else would he have gone?
    Exactly. Where else would a wigga have gone? What is in the ghetto that is not in the trailer park? Hmm..??
    It's a stupid movie making fun of the stupid wigga phenomenon. I'll leave you to consider what that might have to do with a discussion of the wigga phenomenon.

if anything he makes my point, a rich white kid trying to pretend to be a part of a culture he has no experience with is the basis for the term "wigga"
    ...and that culture is ghetto black (a.k.a, in the US, "nigga") culture. I'm not sure why you're trying to ignore the nigga aspect of the wigga phenomenon. Is it the exclusion of Latinos (and Asians) that's chafing you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

interesting, they do seem different then, so are they called chavs nomatter what race they are? black white asian? or just white people? (as google is not to clear on it, but the majority of sources seem to point out "white" as being the main pre-requisite of being a chav...)
    You don't have to be white to be a chav. You do have to be working class and trashy.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Curator View Post
    I'll have to check on brighton, sounds nice, from what ive heard my particular skills are in great demand over there, but who knows if they are in specific areas... in the end though where we move to may be determined by where she ends up going to school... Brighton would be cool though since its close to london, better chance of me being able to meet you and some other friends ive got out that way

gosh the drinking thing will be bothersome unless they have my favorite beers there, which I highly highly doubt,lol.
    yeah, look into Brighton. Believe it or not, I know people who commute daily from Brighton to London for work...! Which I think is nuts. Commuting across London is bad enough, let alone commuting into London from the coast and then probably traveling across the city too

If your favourite beers are American, I must warn you, the Brits and Europeans despise American beer... I don't like beer at all myself (prefer cider, wine, cocktails) but I was still slightly shocked to find that they have only a slightly better opinion of Canadian beer than American. Belgian and Czech beers, and some English, are supposed to be the way to go. Of course, you may just have or find friends who aren't into drinking. They are out there! I really think it's better for me to spend more time with friends who drink less, sometimes I can get influenced otherwise
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

Im done with t his bullshit.