User Tag List

figsfiggyfigs

Wink Superstition/ folklore.

List all the superstitious folklore you've heard before, things from other cultures, your own, from friends, family, etc....

I especially like stuff that makes you go or , and if you believe in it: :horor:

This thread was inspired by my palm getting itchy, then I remembered what my grandmother used to say....

(Googled a proper saying)
    "If the palm of your right hand is itchy, then it fortells that money is coming to you, but don't scratch it as that stops the money from coming! If it's your left palm that is itchy, then scratch away, as that means that you'll soon be paying money."

When my grandma was pregnant with my aunt they would come to the railroad tracks and stop, make her get out of the car, waddle across the tracks (the men would drive across the tracks in the car) and then she would get back in.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

figsfiggyfigs

Left Eye Twitching Superstition - China: An old Chinese saying about twitching eyelids says that "the twitching of the left eyelid indicates the coming of good fortune; while the right one is a warning about the coming bad luck." So while a twitch in the left eye indicates good luck or even a major gold rush, a twitching right eye is considered a bad omen which foretells of ill luck headed your way! In women the tables are turned as a twitching right eye signifies good luck while a twitching left one is considered a bad prognostic. Similarly, there are many assumptions of eyelid twitching causes and superstitions where a twitch in the lower left eyelid means you can expect to cry soon or someone is gossiping about you.

Left Eye Twitching Superstition - India: The Indian left eye twitching superstition is the reverse of the Chinese version. So in India a twitching right eye is definitely a good sign while the left eye twitching is considered inauspicious. At times, eye twitching can also be based on the gender as well, so while left eye twitching is considered good for women it might be a bad sign for men.

Left Eye Twitching Superstition - Parts of Africa: In certain parts of Africa, twitching in your lower eyelid signals that you will soon be shedding tears or when the upper eyelid twitches, it’s a sign you will meet someone unexpectedly. The Nigerians also follow the Chinese version of the left eye twitching being considered as bad.

Left Eye Twitching Superstition - Hawaii: In Hawaii twitching eyes can signal the arrival of a stranger, or a mourning in the offing.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

The Italian grandma of a friend of mine would always tell me "Someone just walked over your grave" any time I'd get the chills. When I said "But Grandma, I'm gonna be cremated", she'd backhand me and go "Don't be a wise-ass, you know what I mean!!".

The same Italian grandma would say that if your ears are burning, that means someone is thinking about you. I have no idea where those things come from and I never asked.

My significant other's Italian grandma habitually puts curses on people she doesn't like in Italian, but apparently she claims she uses discretion even though she does this up to twice a week. She also does not tolerate any smack-talk about the Pope. I'm told that whenever anyone asks her what she thinks the Pope would think about her putting curses on people, her response is "Shut up you mouth".
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    My significant other's Italian grandma habitually puts curses on people she doesn't like in Italian, but apparently she claims she uses discretion even though she does this up to twice a week.
    I love this.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

So I finally broke myself of the ridiculous superstition I had about holding my breathe when going past a cemetery..... Really hard to do some times... Some cemeteries are really big!?

Also, anyone that doesn't want to cross the path of a black cat.... Should steer clear of my house.

figsfiggyfigs

^ when I was a kid, I was freaked out by black cats... But mostly because I randomly got hissed at, and chased by one once.