12 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default Abstract and Modern Art

Is it an intellectual put on?

How does one determine what artistic merit exists in modern art?

I can produce modern/abstarct art at the drop of a dime.

To me it seems the Art is in the name or exlaintion not the actual peice of art.
    It means what ever I tell you it means.
    To me that's a put on.

Example
    I made this tonight.
    I call it
    The Two Minute Switch to Inertia....
    It's about the last few months of my being in emotional overdrive, then realizing I am like a deer in the headlights, and at the last second before impact, jumping back into action, and getting myself out of the way of the onrushing doom.

Brilliant, or am I putting you on?

What is your opinion of modern art?

Ginkgo

That's not really modern; it's contemporary. Actually, we're a bit past that now.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

being able to produce art(modern or not) doesent mean that you would be good at it. if you arent good at understanding modern art, i highly doubt that you would be able to produce anything good. but modern art is funny because its not that much about technique, so someone who is able to transfer his feelings on the art piece can produce something that modern art critics find good. sometimes it can just look as if the art displays the emotion expressed even tho it wouldnt be real or intentional, but i think seeing whats real is the hard part on modern art critique.
    personally im not really into modern art, mainly because i dont understand it usually, but i do know that its not just random things put together in ways that doesent make any sense, even tho i dont understand it.
    abstract art can be pretty cool tho, i especially like abstract photos
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

figsfiggyfigs

*hands coupon for a free art class*

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post

*hands coupon for a free art class*
    Yeah, you are missing the point since I am well aware what I produced is a pile of turd and was not looking for validation or for someone to tell me how great I am.
    The point is.. Awww forget it.. go look in the mirror or whatever it is you do

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Is it an intellectual put on?

How does one determine what artistic merit exists in modern art?

I can produce modern/abstarct art at the drop of a dime.

To me it seems the Art is in the name or exlaintion not the actual peice of art.
    It means what ever I tell you it means.
    To me that's a put on.
    Actually, art is whatever the audience decides it means.

People appreciate and/or buy this stuff if it meets some need with them.
    And since we're all different, some things appeal to some more than others.

As far as what the artist intended? Who knows?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Yeah, you are missing the point since I am well aware what I produced is a pile of turd and was not looking for validation or for someone to tell me how great I am.
    The point is.. Awww forget it.. go look in the mirror or whatever it is you do
    Well, you asked if we thought it was brilliant or not.

Not missing the point, abstract or not, looking for validation or not, I'm just saying thats a crappy drawing. I'm sure you can do better with paper and pencil. Stay away from Paint. Even some of the best artists can't do shiz with paint(there are the few exceptions). Now photoshop, and other more "complex" programs are going to be better environments for you to "express" yourself.

Get a paper and pencil/pen, draw, then post it on here, and I'll give you my honest opinion whether its brilliant or not. Will it make me "see" what you were trying to express? Who knows.
    To me, the paint drawing(other than the bottom part--which I oddly found interesting) was not even clear enough to make a proper comment on in the first place.

Does that actual picture mean a lot to you( do you find any sort of sentimental attachment to it)? if it doesn't, don't waste our time.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    being able to produce art(modern or not) doesent mean that you would be good at it. if you arent good at understanding modern art, i highly doubt that you would be able to produce anything good. but modern art is funny because its not that much about technique, so someone who is able to transfer his feelings on the art piece can produce something that modern art critics find good. sometimes it can just look as if the art displays the emotion expressed even tho it wouldnt be real or intentional, but i think seeing whats real is the hard part on modern art critique.
    personally im not really into modern art, mainly because i dont understand it usually, but i do know that its not just random things put together in ways that doesent make any sense, even tho i dont understand it.
    abstract art can be pretty cool tho, i especially like abstract photos
    I like this post.

<random observation>Your picture looks like a giant penis pissing into a box with a worm in it.

garbage

If your 'bullshit' art is intended to make the point that 'bullshit' art is worthless, doesn't it then actually have a valid, artistic point?

I agree with what you're saying, though. 12-foot, two-color flags are kinda bullshit.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I personally don't see modern art as an intellectual put on, but there are always artist or buyers of art that use it as such. The Impressionist were revolutionary and rejected at first; post-impressionist artist are usually seen as some of the first modern artist...yet one doesn't hear many questioning the merit of Degas, Cezanne or van Gogh.

I think a better question would be can it be art without meaning? For example, there are many beautiful renaissance portraits but they were often commissioned & today it would be like having a photograph taken. What is talent without purpose?

It used to be hard for me when i was younger to grasp/like such work that seemed so simple but the more I have learned, the more I appreciate all art. I now enjoy modern, contemporary art etc. After I graduate I will be considered a contemporary artist, though I hate being labeled as such :p Perhaps I have a biased view that art should have meaning since I am interested in creating conceptually inspired work. But I like analyzing art, and see modern, contemporary art, etc as a puzzle to be solved; the meaning of a work does change with the viewer, the environment, and time. Though the image is constant, meaning is in flux. Modern art may not be as aesthetic as other movements, but can be engrossing in other ways. Those early artists broke away & wouldn't conform to what society told them was right and made a path for themselves.

I feel that as humanity has grown more scientifically advanced, the farther society has grown from the most of the arts, not just visual. Never before in history has a present culture been so unaware of the happenings in the world of their current art. Kids are entering kindergarten not knowing what crayons are & try to eat them, and older children refuse to accept anything as art unless it looks real. Art is one of the few fields where people judge the present by the past--setting it as the pinnacle and correct. But that leaves little room for progress
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    M. Aurelius

i love the tate modern. i can spend all day there.
    got a thing for early 20th century paintings / ww1 / harlem renaissance
    what an era.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken