User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Families tend to generationally establish their own set of norms & traditions, yet I could see there being some validity in the social climate of an area having some effect on how people are reactant to these types of displays of affection.

With that said, hugging is kind of weird. It's one of those things I do only when met with it, and entirely out of social pressure. It's wrapping around your arms around someone while pressing your chests together. It's like trying to absorb them or something.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

This is certainly a cultural issue. As has already been mentioned, the obligation of hugs are simply a matter of tradition and familial norms. Institutions of all kind abide by their own social rules and regulations, often checked & balanced through interaction, or lack thereof. A lack of checks, or balances, in the intimacy department could easily lead to an unwarranted hug from behind, or a Preist hugging a choir boy a little too long. Either way, I agree, hugs can get weird, especially when the hugger is making the same face Stigmata's avatar is making.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFsS9dUrrnA&feature=related"]Awkward Hug[/youtube]
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Either way, I agree, hugs can get weird, especially when the hugger is making the same face Stigmata's avatar is making.
    I doubt someone making this face is going to be content with the standard issue six second hug & upper back patting combo. This face has led to many sexual harassment & sexual misconduct with a minor court causes to be settled out of court.

I do however proffer a solution.

Dali

^

'Standard issue SIX-SECOND hug'? Where do you live?!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

I'm from a huggy family; a hug when you arrive and a hug when you leave. My countrymen and -women are famous for NOT being very physically affectionate, usually settling for a handshake. However, many in my generation (I'm 20) have turned this around, and both hugs and even kisses are common among them. I'm in no way a hugger, even getting somewhat uncomfortable if my mother wants a hug - then again, I'm an INTP with a slight hint of asperger's syndrome, and those guys (or girls, in my case) aren't first and foremost known for being cuddly I tried for a while to get used to it, I failed, and now I've gone back to my distant, non-hugger self
    Last edited by 10blackroses; 03-31-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy; Am I or the others crazy?
    ~Albert Einstein

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there.
    ~Owl City (Song: The Real World, album: All Things Bright and Beautiful)

Society

well, i'm from a huggy culture - in Israel it would be very rude not too. i think most families here follow that norm. myself, i tend to bring it with me wherever i go, though the extent of it can change. not to mention, the bear-hugging capacity is one of the awesome powers granted by years of not watching my weight, and i'm going to flaunt that whenever i can.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    well, i'm from a huggy culture - in Israel it would be very rude not too. i think most families here follow that norm. myself, i tend to bring it with me wherever i go, though the extent of it can change. not to mention, the bear-hugging capacity is one of the awesome powers granted by years of not watching my weight, and i'm going to flaunt that whenever i can.
    I'm moving to Israel.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Well said :P
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy; Am I or the others crazy?
    ~Albert Einstein

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there.
    ~Owl City (Song: The Real World, album: All Things Bright and Beautiful)

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I thought the rule was women hug everyone goodbye guys shake guys hands. Probably somewhat cultural