User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I swear bootcamp should be madatory for all males in this country.
    I think military boot camp would be a nice idea. If only the military would pay for the expenses for the bootcamp (not to mention "unfit" people.)

Epiphany

This coming from someone who I presume has never been in boot camp. And what should be the female equivalent to force women to prove their worthiness to be called women? Something equally dehumanizing I hope, because that is the intention of bootcamp, to break you down mentally and strip you of your individuality for the purpose of conforming to an obedient unit that acts upon orders.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

What do you mean exactly?
    SDMF

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't exactly feel grown up, and I'm in my 40's. 20 years ago I thought this was a bad thing, now I like it.

I guess what I'm saying is that the external definition meant something to me once, and now it doesn't.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    This coming from someone who I presume has never been in boot camp. And what should be the female equivalent to force women to prove their worthiness to be called women? Something equally dehumanizing I hope, because that is the intention of bootcamp, to break you down mentally and strip you of your individuality for the purpose of conforming to an obedient unit that acts upon orders.
    This is exactly what it is. It is a systematic process of forcing you to be able to detach from your own self. Your interests, wants, needs, etc. become snuffed out, only residing within the back of your mind. You learn to appreciate yourself in a new way.. someone that can do anything when told to, and act just like everyone else. It is a mindless maneuver, but absolutely essential to become a soldier. You get your personality back, sure... but slowly, and only so much of it. Anyone who has ever become a soldier in the armed forces has irreversibly changed.. not to mean that in a good or bad way.. it is just the way it is.

I don't think anyone in the military can truly act like a civilian until they leave the military.. and usually by then they don't want to anymore. They become institutionalized. I know for a fact I am..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Epiphany

I'm not a proponent of mandatory service. I don't think people should be forced to risk their lives for the whims of a government which may or may not have the best interest of the people in mind. Some people are not psychologically suited for military life and may put their own lives as well as others in danger. When I was in, there was a marine who threatened to drop his grenade on the range, one kid asked his friend to shoot him in the foot (which he did), one guy slit his wrists and another tried to hang himself. These were all volunteer enlistees. Some people are better suited for the kind of environment that enforces uniformity and at times blind obedience rather than value-based decisions. National security is one thing. I certainly don't think service should be mandatory for men as it pertains to this thread.

I would say to serve near home for a year would be reasonable (or something similar.) I believe some countries do just that. Serving any more would be optional unless it is essential to create an army for war.

A year of serving would be something like the reserves. (Boot Camp > College or [if you are in need] get sent off.)

Besides, at the rate the U.S. is going, the number of people who are actually volunteering are declining rapidly with all the "unfit" to serve population.

Even though it has been stated and a lot of people probably ignore my posts, let me reiterate what boot camp is for. They train people to take orders and do exactly as they are told. All of that very exact marching, saluting and flag rituals, extreme physical breakdown, and 'do everything only as you are told' is to dehumanize the human ego and make a person into a machine or tool used for the benefit of those who give orders - like a simple-minded machine.

With this realization, it doesn't inherently make anyone a better person for them-self or society. Some people come out of it with a sense of loss of self and have a hard time finding a niche in society that caters mostly to an individualized rat-race culture (why did that happen anyway? Everyone complains about it, but yet everyone participates?).

If someone is just looking for a way to integrate with their community and feel like they are developing a beneficial relationship with them-self and the people around them, then this someone might be confused because that is not the point of boot-camp.