123 Last

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Question Do You Post In Your Own 'Voice' ?

I was just having a look through some of my past posts looking for one in particular, and I noticed that I felt some of my posts captured my actual 'voice' in real life better than others. In some I'm very diplomatic and clipped with my proper English, and in others it's like I'm truly translating my very own conversational voice into a post.

I think I am personally influenced by the tone of the thread sometimes. I'm really aware of rules (I swear much more in real life than I do on the boards, though I don't think I'm gratuitous with it), and I'm really aware of consideration toward others who may be reading. Also, since I'm a writer I automatically fall into my 'written voice' for the most part.

I like communicating in what I feel is my actual, real life voice though. I do sometimes wish more peeps were on Ventrilo on a regular basis, because I wonder what y'all sound like and I like getting a chance to let people 'hear' me and perhaps put it all together with my posts to get a clearer idea of me.

My approach to message boards (even StumbleUpon and Facebook) I always try to make a fairly honest representation of myself rather than fall into an 'online version' of myself.

Just wondering what thoughts you peeps might have on this from your own POV.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Ah shit, I meant to post this is in 'The Bonfire'.

Dumb multiple tabs :steam:
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

No, you all wouldn't get to enjoy my 'voice' if I started posting in my own 'voice'. As the result would likely be me end up lurking only. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yes - and sometimes to a fault, because my posting style involves not proofreading very much before I post, so I wonder sometimes how I manage to stay coherent Extroversion fail.

But yeah - my posting style on TypeC is exactly how I talk in real life, discounting "likes" and "ums".
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    Ah shit, I meant to post this is in 'The Bonfire'.
    Dumb multiple tabs :steam:
    Moved.

For me, pretty much nowadays, how I write is how I talk in real life.

However, I do typically tailor my conversation/style to the situation.
    So context determines my style.

I talk differently if I'm goofing around, versus writing a piece on something, versus trying to comfort someone, vs arguing with someone.

But all of those things are still "me" and recognizable if you're used to seeing me in those different contexts.

I think I might sound more thoughtful and more structured in writing; I'm more casual IRL.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

no sis I dont, I am impersonating other voices while posting in my voice
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Apart from the hybrid NZ/ozzie accent, yeah, I think I do. You don't get the ums and ah's, and the stutter that I occasionally have, so it flows better, but it's essentially me.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

As close to it as I've ever gotten in a written format.

Unfortunately, many hilarious colloquialisms that I use IRL wouldn't fly here, so I do tone my gregarious yet occasionally bellicose nature down a little bit.

sort of. i'm much more reserved on the forums.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Pretty much, although conversationally, I wish there was a way to edit out scrambled mind to mouth phrases and sentences. While it's fun to apply a word in the wrong context and make it fit, it's not so fun when it's not deliberate!