User Tag List

Thread: One of your many favorite TED talks! Share!

the Dark Prophet of Kualu Array Serendipity's Avatar

Default One of your many favorite TED talks! Share!

I hope and almost expect many of you to be watching some of the awesome TED talks out there. When they first released, only a handful of people were actively watching but after a while it came to TV and were made mainstream. I mean the streaming version, not the sitting-in-audience version. I still have to do the latter one day!

So this thread is about sharing those talks that made you skip a beat and reach for the newly invested idea to blow it out of proportions and wonder if that last thought of his in the talk might spell out how the computers came together and actually was the original tiny detail of an enormous evolving idea that still hasn't reached a climax!?
    This is one of mine:

I would have made use of TEDs' original website but I wasn't able to.
    Here's the link for the same video but better quality

EDIT: I did make a search and I found Nothing. At least I couldn't find a thread specifically made with TED in mind.

5w4 sx
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Patron Saint Of Smileys Array Gloriana's Avatar

Dang, I have mine all bookmarked on my other computer.

This is the first one that came to mind for me, though:

I felt vindicated when I watched it because I had been saying the same stuff for years.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

the Dark Prophet of Kualu Array Serendipity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    This got me worried half-way through. The first thought was: AWESOME, I might be able to know another species similar to humans! then I started to realize that this will probably get out of hand quite soon until they are slaves and we'll harass them more than we've harassed other species around us because these ones we know dislike what we do. It's often the knowledge that others feel what they might feel that seems to turn people on and choose to do the action. Power is ugly.

If I'm incomprehensible, it's because I drop words in the sentence and I'll try to elaborate if that is the case. I'm virtually blind for it.

Daniel Kahneman's definately

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar

[YOUTUBE="XRWTyUVh0BQ"]The future of Countries[/YOUTUBE]

Definitely my favorite.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

These are pretty short. What can I say? I'm a busy woman.

Julian Treasure: The 4 ways sound affects us
    Playing sound effects both pleasant and awful, Julian Treasure shows how sound affects us in four significant ways. Listen carefully for a shocking fact about noisy open-plan offices.

Dean Ornish says your genes are not your fate
    Dean Ornish shares new research that shows how adopting healthy lifestyle habits can affect a person at a genetic level. For instance, he says, when you live healthier, eat better, exercise, and love more, your brain cells actually increase.

Patricia Kuhl: The linguistic genius of babies
    At TEDxRainier, Patricia Kuhl shares astonishing findings about how babies learn one language over another -- by listening to the humans around them and "taking statistics" on the sounds they need to know. Clever lab experiments (and brain scans) show how 6-month-old babies use sophisticated reasoning to understand their world.

Joshua Klein on the intelligence of crows
    Hacker and writer Joshua Klein is fascinated by crows. (Notice the gleam of intelligence in their little black eyes?) After a long amateur study of corvid behavior, he's come up with an elegant machine that may form a new bond between animal and human.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?