User Tag List

First 678

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would like to see Wings of Desire just to see if it's my style. I LOVED Goodbye Lenin That and Das Leben die Anderen (did I get that right without checking? ) are def my favourite German films...not very original, of course, as they were among those which have received a wide release. But they are both wonderful. I cried at the end of Das Leben die Anderen.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

There are many important german movies not too many people know about. Here's one of the more prominent movies which is more important to watch than anything else

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBt_ue2n_g"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Riva

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My father taught himself German although he knew no Germans, nor how to speak German, yet he read the German philosophers and listened to German music and told me that Germans are the most cultured people in the world.

I fell in love with the German therapist, Alice Miller, as well as the German philospher Martin Heidegger, and I confess I like the Germans on Central, but don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I never/seldom make pic replies but this one was so funny I thought I would share it. I wasn't trying to offend anyone.
    I don't understand the picture.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I don't understand the picture.
    I assume it's a play on the Soviet Russia clichés (grumpy babooshka with traditional headscarf has to get back to her tractor to fulfill the next five year plan) and has nothing to do with Germany. But then again, continental Europe is continental Europe, so why split hairs, right?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Mod edit: Posts irrelevant to the topic in this thread have been moved to Off Topic Posts thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Actually, Germany and Germans are several times responsible for the nearly total destruction of my family. First in 1866, then in 1870 (military losses + deportation and ethnic cleansing), then in 1914-1918 (of all my great-great fathers who were enlisted, only one out of 4 survived), and then in 1940-44 (where they also eradicated female and children relatives: only my maternal greatmother managed to escape thanks to the French resistance).

When I think about it, it's a miracle we're still here. When I see my young nephew, it's a miracle he can still bear this kind of joyful name (Yitzhak). It's a miracle we managed to survive after so much hate and violence, even if my family has been tragically dwindled to a very tiny number of what it once was.

----

Yet, while I must admit I'm still deeply prejudiced against the elder German generation of people who dared let "die Endlösung der Judenfrage" happen -and that's why I can't forgive Heidegger's hypocrisy on this matter, and why I rarely offered my seat to an elderly German in the tramway even when I was repetedly asked to do so-, the paradox is that my family is also very germanophile (culturally speaking). Everybody amongst us speaks or understands German, sometimes fluently (Yiddish is a variety of Hochdeutsch anyway). My brother used to live in Hamburg and teach French there, and my longest and happiest relationship once was with a German blond blue-eyed girl. And my best friend since childhood is a Prussian aristocrat.

Yes indeed, the German speaking world once was the most cultured and the most advanced of its time (partly because of the rich interaction that occured with the German speaking Ashkenazim, whether in Science (Einstein), in Philosophy (Husserl), or the Arts and Litterature -see half of the Bauhaus teachers-), but unfortunately, this world commited a kind of cultural suicide (both symbolically and literally, see for instance Walter Benjamin and Paul Celan's fate), and all we can now witness are the remnants of what it once was after Germans destroyed with a rare efficiency the three quarters of Europe (and our continent -Britain included- never really recovered since, hence the actual leadership of the US). However, the Frankfurt school and especially Habermas is still interesting to read, and their physics departments are still amongst the top best, even if no real revolutionary idea has evolved there since 70 years. Hum... Nonetheless, I have to recognize that a few contemporary German-writing thinkers have made a significant contribution to the rise of Green politics (I think to Hans Jonas, for instance), and the post modern criticism of our societies (Cf Sloterdijk, even if I still think that Habermas is a more powerful thinker).

Today's Germany is a pleasant country to visit (Within the EU, it's France's twin country somehow [1]) even if I find it a little bit too quiet and conservative for my taste -having enjoyed three months of rural Bavarian surroundings was more than enough for me-. Another paradox is that with the unification process, Berlin has lost a great deal of its past interest and rich artistic life (the curious world depicted in "der Himmel über Berlin" is unfortunately long gone, but since we're talking about cinema I have to admit that I have sometimes a fondness for a few Haneke's movies... but wait, he's Austrian!). And another recent disconcerting phenomena is the fact that a lot of the Ossies never ever really understood or were taught what Nazism really was, and as a consequence often consider far right nationalists as a "trendy" movement, especially amongst the younger generation. I remember for instance some unwanted discussions and debates I had with a few locals when I made a lonely pilgrimage in Leipzig to understand how the Matthäus-Passion (Bach) was played and composed in the Thomaskirche... well...

------

[1] In a poll, when a few French were asked with which country they would consider to form a complete and definitive political union and the one they trust the most on a general basis, an overwhelming majority answered "Germany", even if culturally speaking, French people seem to feel closer to Italians. Jean Cocteau once said that French are "grumpy Italians", and I find this sentence very true.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 04-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI