User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Der Prozess is a relatively easy and enjoyable read, although it might be too much for a complete beginner. I think I'm a B2 level (maybe early C1, but not sure really), and I can read it all (and I did read it all). Perhaps piece by piece? Chapter by chapter? Paragraph by paragraph?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Word by word, at any rate.

Smile "Four Minutes".

Not wanting to be left out here, last night I watched a German movie, the excellent actors spoke German but with English sub-titles.

It was wonderful and moving and although about Germany, spoke to all of us. It spoke of the move from authoritarianism to personal freedom. And it presented the move with all its human difficulty and suffering.

What can I say but that the movie was emotinally true.

And yes, the name of the movies is, "Four Minutes", starring Hannah Herzsprung with a wonderful supporting cast.

Interestingly, I have never heard of that film before.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I absolutely loved The Lives of Others. I'm not that familiar with German film but would like to see Wings of Desire and Faraway So Close, and maybe some other Wim Wenders filmes. Victor, your suggestion sounds interesting.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

No, watch 'Wings of Desire', preferably, if you can, in German. The first 20 minutes are magnificent: the library scene...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Interestingly, I have never heard of that film before.
    The finale of, "Four Minutes", can be found on Youtube. It is a wonderful finale that will leave you in tears. However to get the full force of the finale, the final four minutes, we really need to see the whole movie. It's wonderful.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Der Prozess is a relatively easy and enjoyable read, although it might be too much for a complete beginner. I think I'm a B2 level (maybe early C1, but not sure really), and I can read it all (and I did read it all). Perhaps piece by piece? Chapter by chapter? Paragraph by paragraph?
    I majored in german and english in school and had to read "Metamorphosis" by Kafka. I of course identified with Kafka a lot back then in puberty and when they told us that there are several ways to interprete him and we are free to guess, well I came up with A LOT of things. I think I should have never read Kafka, really and I am glad that I changed my major to engineering and left the kafkaesk part. Would have prolly lost my mind even more by now
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I loved Kafka when I was about 16-20...haven't tried for years though...it may have been more my style back then.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I saw Wings of Desire (Der Himmel über Berlin) a few years ago and remember it as a bit too pretentious for my taste, but the idea behind the library scene is good. But then again, I am not a fan of Wenders anyway.

I also remember watching Four Minutes (Vier Minuten) on tv some time ago, just stumbled upon it. I like it, but Monica Bleibtreu was only 62 when she played the 80 year old piano teacher...I felt that they artificially dressed her up and put on loads off makeup to make her look older than she was and you could tell.

German movies? The great one are either from the Weimar republic or some of the artsy ones from the seventies and eighties (Wenders, Fassbender, Schlöndorf, Herzog, etc.).
    But there are also a few good new ones. I'm partial to Goodbye, Lenin (a melancholic comedy so stuffed with cultural referrences I don't know how this could get so popular abroad) or The White Ribbon.

PS: If you want to get to know mainstream cinema, Bernd Eichinger is a one-man-Hollywood with a license to print money. But Germans mostly watch American movies, so we haven't produced much these last two decades.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari