User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think being Red Herring or Nicodemus would be a great improvement on being Heidegger.
    How lucky we are to have Red Herring and Nicodemus.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    IThe ultimate test for your German skills is this: If you can read 20 pages of 'Kritik der reinen Vernunft' by Immanuel Kant without screaming, you are good.
    I think if you can read that in English without reading, you're good.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Unhappy Red Herring and Nicodemus

I wonder where you are today. What are you feeling? What are you thinking? Who are you talking to? It seems you have fallen silent both in English and German, a double silence, but perhaps a silence pregnant with meaning.

What will you say to me next? Will you reveal your feelings? Will you be happy or will you be sad? Or perhaps you have lost interest. Or perhaps you have just become lost in the airwaves.

But I just want you to know that I am looking forward to your return so I can be happy once again.

I think I feel like borrowing some Simone Weil from the library today. I expect to talk to one or two people working there in the process.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

To be honest, I didn't know her and had to read up on her. But, at least at first glance, she does not at all look like someone you'd agree with. Report back when you have read some, I'm curious!

The red herring is down with a nasty cold and doesn't have much to share about the nation of the Bismarck herring.

But I haven't forgotten that I promised you a reading list, SilkRoad. The more I know about your taste, the better I can tailor my recommendations to your preferences. What exactly are you looking for?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    To be honest, I didn't know her and had to read up on her. But, at least at first glance, she does not at all look like someone you'd agree with. Report back when you have read some, I'm curious!

The red herring is down with a nasty cold and doesn't have much to share about the nation of the Bismarck herring.

But I haven't forgotten that I promised you a reading list, SilkRoad. The more I know about your taste, the better I can tailor my recommendations to your preferences. What exactly are you looking for?
    Oh thanks, that's very kind. I'm totally behind on this thread. I haven't even watched entropie's videos properly

I don't quite know what I'm looking for...maybe recommendations on the best modern German novels? I've mentioned a bit of what I've read already. Also, I am loving Celan and Rilke, so if there are other German poets who have been ably translated into English... I think there have been other poetic recommendations in this thread already, but more 19th century etc, which these days is not quite as much my cup of tea. But I'm open.

I have a lot to think about here!

EDIT: BTW, I love herring. Another Scandinavian/Nordic thing of mine. Pickled is best.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1446922

Smile Magic in the Eye of the Beholder

As I came out of the library last night I was struck by the magic of the open spaces and all the lights. And then I remembered that magic is in the eye of the beholder, so I cast my eyes upwards and my eye was caught by the Australian Coat of Arms, and it is true as you say, the Kangaroo and the Emu are facing each other off across our Coat of Arms. And I can't ever remember seeing a Kangaroo or an Emu ever take a step backwards, So they are forever stuck, unable to take a step backwards and stopping one another from moving forward.

So they both presided over this magical space tinged with just the beginning of Autumn, and so I held them in my magiccl eye just as I hold the magic of Red Herring and Nicodemus as I become what I behold.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Here's another important thing to learn . But I think they teach you that in England too

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZ_1B0vtOo"].[/YOUTUBE]
    Loved this. Especially the gay rum.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Report back when you have read some, I'm curious!
    Her private notes read very much like Cioran's. He must have seen his lost religious self in her. The spiritual writings, though elegant, seem to be nonsense (how surprising), but said 'notes' (from 1940/42) entail sensible, often hunch-like observations which are to my liking.

Victor should like her writings almost as much as his idea of her.