User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Smile My inner German

I am part of the etc because I am discovering my inner German.

I have had some experience in discovering my inner child and my inner woman, and so I think I am ready to discover my inner German.

My plan is simple. I shall internalize Red Herring and Nicodemus, if it is OK with them. Perhaps you might like to talk amongst yourselves and see whether you want to be inside Victor. But just think, you would be spreading German culture all the way to the antipodes.

But already I am starting to see the outlines of my inner German and to my surprise I find I am coming more PC. But this is not a bad thing for me as I tend to be a bit too eccentric so more PC would give me better balance, and dare I say, poise.

And as I became more German, from the inside as it were, I thought I would become more poised, for as you know Ozzies do tend to be larrikins and Germanic poise is not our strongest point.

However I have noticed that Red Herring and Nicodemus are poised and so I thought I might reasonably expect to become more poised myself.

But rather than becoming poised I find I am becoming more formal. This is not entirely foreign as Ozzies are formally informal so as I become more German, I find I am becoming simply more formal.

Of course I have fallen in love with Germans before, in particular with Martin Heidegger, whose books I gulped down like a man dying of thirst. So you might say, for a time, I became Martin Heidegger, just as I am becoming Red Herring and Nicodemus.

And becoming Red Herring or Nicodemus or Martin Heidegger is rather intimate I know, but I have found that my inner German is a bit stand-offish in the beginning but is wonderfully intimate when you get to know him.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

As I am very much in touch with my inner child and also, I think, with my inner man, maybe it is time to discover my inner Australian. I shall therefore internalize Victor. Let us see what happens, as I digest him and the hemispheres mingle in my stomach.

Truth be told, I have mixed feelings about being mentioned (and digested) in the same sentence as Martin Heidegger. Because, as you shall see, we Germans are obsessed with the past, and I do not like his part in it.

While he taught and studied in Freiburg, just 100 miles south of here and yet far to the north of Australia, his friends and colleagues Karl Jaspers and Hannah Arendt labored right in front of my door steps, here in Heidelberg. They are much closer to me.

You see, closeness is a funny thing. We tend to reject the proximity with those we embraced before. Yesterday a friend told me that Albert Speer is buried around here at the Bergfriedhof cemetery and that his name does not show up on the list of famous names on the map of the local cemetery. We do not like to be reminded.

And yet, we are surrounded by history. We offer it in slices to American and Japanese tourists who come here for a day to see our castle that was already long in ruins when Mark Twain visited it years before, but we like to cut the slices ourselves.

Do you know what Mark Twain said about our language?

Australians chose the red kangaroo and the emu for their emblem because they say these animals can not walk backwards. They have to face forward. We however, at the other side of the earth, love to look backwards even as we move forward. We are so proud of our history and when it is painful, we are ashamed of it but at the same time...and this we will never admit...proud of how ashamed we are. That is our dirty little secret.

As I look out of my window now, dawn breaks over the river Neckar, it must already be far past noon in Australia. This is the same Neckar that leads from my house to the old bridge Jaspers must have crossed so many times, as probably did Arendt (and later Habermas and Gadamer, if you prefer them).

It leads to a small path up the Heiligenberg (the “mount of saints”) which faces the Königsstuhl (the “king's seat”) and it is called the path of philosophers: the Philosophenweg. I hope you will forgive us this ungermanic chinoiserie of names, for we love our path of philosophers.

It is not named for the famous and the infamous that have come through here all these years, it received its name from the students taking a walk along the path to enjoy the scenery on a romantic afternoon with their loved one, for in those days, to be a student was to be a philosopher and the words were interchangeable.

From this path, you can see the old town center with the faculty of philosophy and most of the humanities and high above it on the other hill, the castle, which is not as old as the university and has been in ruins for most of its life but still attracts romantics from around the world who love ruins more than they love the intact, even from the land of the red kangaroo and the emu.

We live on our university as we live on those visitors. And while we pride ourselves on our ruins and our history, we look westward towards America for orientation and we try to emulate America as much as we can.

Maybe we should look south to you to learn how to walk forward? For our problem is not so much our past as it is our lack of vision. But to be forced to face forward means to be obligated to develop vision, no? What then, can you teach this city of teachers and students, dear emu? We need to learn.

How did I do?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Here's another important thing to learn . But I think they teach you that in England too

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZ_1B0vtOo"].[/YOUTUBE]
    Lol. That's extreme.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

only thing you need to know is 'ich bin affen ficker und du bist affe'
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    only thing you need to know is 'ich bin affen ficker und du bist affe'
    That's grammatically incorrect, but it should help you find your way around the zoo right to the monkey house.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am part of the etc because I am discovering my inner German.

I have had some experience in discovering my inner child and my inner woman, and so I think I am ready to discover my inner German.

My plan is simple. I shall internalize Red Herring and Nicodemus, if it is OK with them. Perhaps you might like to talk amongst yourselves and see whether you want to be inside Victor. But just think, you would be spreading German culture all the way to the antipodes.

But already I am starting to see the outlines of my inner German and to my surprise I find I am coming more PC. But this is not a bad thing for me as I tend to be a bit too eccentric so more PC would give me better balance, and dare I say, poise.

And as I became more German, from the inside as it were, I thought I would become more poised, for as you know Ozzies do tend to be larrikins and Germanic poise is not our strongest point.

However I have noticed that Red Herring and Nicodemus are poised and so I thought I might reasonably expect to become more poised myself.

But rather than becoming poised I find I am becoming more formal. This is not entirely foreign as Ozzies are formally informal so as I become more German, I find I am becoming simply more formal.

Of course I have fallen in love with Germans before, in particular with Martin Heidegger, whose books I gulped down like a man dying of thirst. So you might say, for a time, I became Martin Heidegger, just as I am becoming Red Herring and Nicodemus.

And becoming Red Herring or Nicodemus or Martin Heidegger is rather intimate I know, but I have found that my inner German is a bit stand-offish in the beginning but is wonderfully intimate when you get to know him.
    I think being Red Herring or Nicodemus would be a great improvement on being Heidegger.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    as almost being a german region on many occassions, we have some of the same culture as you guys. So in theory Im keeping her away from all northern european countries. And since it seems she has scandinavian roots, its not as if she wouldnt be exposed to this at some point in her life or a scandinavian variety of it. Eventhough you germans perfected it. Kudos to you for that achievement.
    Absolutely correct. I'm already sort of used to the concept of being highly repressed and controlled in some respects, and then skipping about to the jolliest, cheesiest accordion music you ever did hear. That's down to my summers in Finland as a child (and I've also been to the other Nordic countries - love Copenhagen!). Although based on those videos, the Germans did indeed perfect it.

My brother is a sports journalist and mostly covers hockey. He told me about the Swedish world hockey championship theme song a few years ago - I must try to track it down. Apparently it featured handsome blond boys linking arms and kicking their heels up while singing "Hockey! Hockey! Hockey Hockey Hockey!". Which is strangely and typically northern European. If the Canadian team pulled something like that, they'd be branded a bunch of pansies for sure.

I'm going to have to ponder a bit more on the rest of this thread.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If you think you know something about german cultural by knowing Musikantenstadl and Schloss Neuschwanstein you're definitly 50 years to late.

Real life is written on the streets man, on the streets !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If you think you know something about german cultural by knowing Musikantenstadl and Schloss Neuschwanstein you're definitly 50 years to late.

Real life is written on the streets man, on the streets !
    No, I hear you. I think it's one of the things I like about German culture. There seems to be a lot of contradiction and diversity. I was so...confused when I went to Berlin, but in a fascinating way. I've never been to another city like that. A combination of crazy liberality and hedonism, the weight of history and the presence of the dead...I had the strangest feelings in that place.

I just love the fact that like I said, every time I've been to Germany it's been quite a different experience, but an extremely cool and enjoyable one.

By the way entropie, I am going to watch those vids and comment on them, just haven't got around to it
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

former German expat here.

leisure time's great!

I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.